News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on May 17, 2019, 09:06:58 AM
Beria was one of the biggest evils in a nation of biggest evils. The movie got that right.

The movie got a lot right.  Just not the history (which it wasn't attempting).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Apparently Robert Pattinson is set to sign up to play Batman in the next Batman movie.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/robert-pattinson-batman-matt-reeves-bruce-wayne-dc-comics-1203125473/

Interesting in that after Twilight Pattinson has pretty much dedicated himself to indie movies.  Interesting choice to again sign up to a potential superhero blockbuster.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Initial reaction- that casting director should never work again.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

Reminder: the people who decried Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Heath Ledger as nothing but pretty-boys were wrong.

Maybe don't rush to judgement with your hot takes?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

I've seen clips from Twilight...

Anyway, that's what movie critics are for. Giving him a chance, so we don't have to.

Malthus

Sadly, Star vs. the Forces of Evil comes to an end on Sunday - same day as Game of Thrones. They have a lot of similarities (though I haven't been following GoT, the latter seems to be ending rather less happily!).

Review that notes this here:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2019/05/star-vs-the-forces-of-evil-wraps-its-series-run-as.html

QuoteThis Sunday, a generations-long battle of the wills waged (mostly) between powerful women to determine the fate of a monstrous magical kingdom will reach its epic conclusion. And then, 13 and a half hours later, Game of Thrones will air.

This reads as glib, but once I realized that Disney Channel's metal-as-heck animated series Star vs. the Forces of Evil would be wrapping its increasingly ambitious serialized run the same day Game of Thrones would, the parallels between the two became almost laughably obvious. Like Game of Thrones, Star vs. the Forces of Evil is interested in investigating the corrosive effects that absolute power can have even on those with the best of intentions. Like Game of Thrones, Star vs. the Forces of Evil has spent the latter part of this investigation centering the perspectives of several powerful women, each from different generations, each motivated by a slightly different ideology. Like Game of Thrones, Star vs. the Forces of Evil found one of these women deciding in its penultimate episode that the only way to move into the future was to wreak havoc on the past. And like on GoT, on SvtFoE, that woman even ended up being the one with long, snow-white hair tied back in severe braids. (Moon Butterfly, how could you??)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

A bit reductive to say Game of Thrones is (mostly) the story of powerful women.

Tamas

Quote from: Malthus on May 17, 2019, 02:09:00 PM
Sadly, Star vs. the Forces of Evil comes to an end on Sunday - same day as Game of Thrones. They have a lot of similarities (though I haven't been following GoT, the latter seems to be ending rather less happily!).

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2019/05/star-vs-the-forces-of-evil-wraps-its-series-run-as.html

QuoteThis Sunday, a generations-long battle of the wills waged (mostly) between powerful women to determine the fate of a monstrous magical kingdom will reach its epic conclusion. And then, 13 and a half hours later, Game of Thrones will air.

This reads as glib, but once I realized that Disney Channel's metal-as-heck animated series Star vs. the Forces of Evil would be wrapping its increasingly ambitious serialized run the same day Game of Thrones would, the parallels between the two became almost laughably obvious. Like Game of Thrones, Star vs. the Forces of Evil is interested in investigating the corrosive effects that absolute power can have even on those with the best of intentions. Like Game of Thrones, Star vs. the Forces of Evil has spent the latter part of this investigation centering the perspectives of several powerful women, each from different generations, each motivated by a slightly different ideology. Like Game of Thrones, Star vs. the Forces of Evil found one of these women deciding in its penultimate episode that the only way to move into the future was to wreak havoc on the past. And like on GoT, on SvtFoE, that woman even ended up being the one with long, snow-white hair tied back in severe braids. (Moon Butterfly, how could you??)

Was that really a serious review of... this:

?!

Oexmelin

Yes. And as Malthus indicates quite thoroughly with his art thread:

it is an awesome show.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Malthus

Quote from: Tamas on May 17, 2019, 03:36:39 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 17, 2019, 02:09:00 PM

Was that really a serious review of... this:

?!

Yup.

The show looks exactly like a bit of fluff about a magical princess for the kids ... but looks can be very deceiving!

It deals with some big issues that go well beyond the usual ambit of a kid's show; it really isn't for kids alone. As well as going a lot darker than you would expect. The last few episodes out-do Game of Thrones in terms of really disturbing twists (the oppressed part of the population is facing genocide and it's completely the fault of the heroine's mother - who had some sound reasons for her betrayal, but still).

- Also, for you Douglas Adams fans out there, the last episode was set in "The Tavern at the End of the Multiverse".  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

They have cast the vampire boytoy from the Twilight films as the new Batman. I thought that after Ben Affleck the only way was up, but seems I was wrong.  <_<

Threviel

I thought Affleck did it very good.

Habbaku

Quote from: celedhring on May 18, 2019, 10:07:20 AM
They have cast the vampire boytoy from the Twilight films as the new Batman. I thought that after Ben Affleck the only way was up, but seems I was wrong.  <_<

Can you believe they cast Heath Ledger as the Joker?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

Quote from: celedhring on May 18, 2019, 10:07:20 AM

I have seen High Life. Pattinson can totally do Batman.
Que le grand cric me croque !

celedhring

I haven't seen High Life, but in any other movie I have seen he's been terribly wooden. Definitely not a Heath Ledger scenario - who already had an oscar nomination under his belt when he was cast.