News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on May 08, 2019, 02:06:35 PM
Civil War, as part of the broader narrative worked; but just as an individual film I thought it had some problems.  That, to me, was the point where there started to be too many characters.  It wasn't clear why certain heroes fought on the side they did and the film couldn't be long enough to provide all of them with motivation.
saved for the first Avengers, maybe, I don't think any Marvel movie works that well as a standalone movie.  Even Captain Marvel, as the most standalone movies of all the universe does not work if you haven't seen any Marvel movie at all.  It's just too hard to understand who are these people she's fighting with, and then against without having seen the other movies, and even the Agents of Shield series.

Now, back to Civil War, yes, too many characters for a classic movie.  But, as part of the whole MCU, I think who fights on whose side can be boiled down as the invidual leader's charisma, exposed vision, rather than a deep philosophical thinking on the part of each super heroes.  Would Scarlet Witch have joined the Rebellion if Captain America had been on the other side?  Would Spiderman join the "order" side if Iron Man/Stark was on the other side?  I don't think so.

Onto Thanos... He is the ultimate embodiement of the eco-terrorists: he kills people to save the world.  It is emphasized by the beginning of the last movie: his job is accomplished, he doesn't go on killing more people (at first), he farms the land.  He doesn't see himself as evil, he sees himself as protector of the world(s).  Of course all terrorists are evil... but they never see themselves as evil.  And you will find all kinds of people to defend terrorist actions, be it leftwing, ecological, or religious terrorism.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on May 09, 2019, 01:40:18 AM
Quote from: katmai on May 09, 2019, 12:27:39 AM
Tonight's What we do in the shadows :lol:

Was going to post exactly that  :lol:

The cameos. The dance of the Vampire Council  :lol:

Indeed. And I'm very impressed with how well they use the Colin character for maximum effect. :lol:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on May 10, 2019, 08:20:28 AM
Quote from: celedhring on May 09, 2019, 01:40:18 AM
Quote from: katmai on May 09, 2019, 12:27:39 AM
Tonight's What we do in the shadows :lol:

Was going to post exactly that  :lol:

The cameos. The dance of the Vampire Council  :lol:

Indeed. And I'm very impressed with how well they use the Colin character for maximum effect. :lol:

Renewed for another season!  :cheers:

It's been long since I watched a show the very same day it came out. Heck I usually don't watch GoT until Monday evening.

Sophie Scholl

I've been thoroughly enjoying Warrior on Cinemax.  It's a historical action series set in San Francisco in the 1870's with a mix of Asian and Caucasian main characters.  The last episode (5) was a fun little Western episode.  I definitely recommend giving it a shot.  The first episode is available free to stream on the Cinemax Facebook page.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

viper37

yeah, excellent series!  It is very fun :)  Not much of a plot, but lots of good fights.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

celedhring

Controversial opinion: True Detective Season 3 is better than Season 1.

You take away the Lovecraftian flash and McCounaughey chewing scenery, and season 3 is a much better character piece, with a more compelling resolution.

The only issue I have with it is that it reuses a lot of the narrative devices and themes of the first season (I guess Pozzolato wanted to play it safe after the trainwreck of Season 2), but ultimately I think it creates a better tale with them.

Ok, Season 1 is better directed too. I wish Cary Fukunaga shot this one too, but I guess he's too big now.

Josephus

Anyone watching Chernobyl?

First episode was pretty good, if you can get past all the Russians/Ukranians speaking with Monty Python accents. You almost expect Graham Chapman to come along saying, "Stop this, it's getting very silly."
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Quote from: Josephus on May 12, 2019, 02:30:51 PM

First episode was pretty good, if you can get past all the Russians/Ukranians speaking with Monty Python accents. You almost expect Graham Chapman to come along saying, "Stop this, it's getting very silly."

How many episodes are there?

I hear it's directed by this guy (the tanned one): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGNK-cOtxSs Make of this what you will.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Seems theres  a new series of Lucifer.
On Netflix.
Now this is just ridiculous.
Series 1-2 were on Netflix in Switzerland but not in the UK. I think Amazon has them in the UK, if anyone.
Series 3 was Amazon exclusive.
Series 4....Netflix exclusive.

How the hell is a typical person in the UK supposed to watch that?

Read an analysis lately that I broadly agreed with. The age of Netflix is over, stats show piracy rates increasing again. There's just getting to be too many streaming platforms, its watering things down too much.

Also given Amazon's shitty interface mixing up all the shopping stuff with the regular Prime stuff I am really curious how many people bother to watch its shows. Subscriber numbers is a poor gauge with them given prime.
██████
██████
██████

katmai

Quote from: The Brain on May 12, 2019, 03:25:59 PM
Quote from: Josephus on May 12, 2019, 02:30:51 PM

How many episodes are there?

I hear it's directed by this guy (the tanned one): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGNK-cOtxSs Make of this what you will.
five episodes total I think. Watched the first one so yeah checking it out Josephus.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Savonarola on May 08, 2019, 02:06:35 PM

Those are good points; and what I think drives the Avengers movies.  The real conflict isn't between the Avengers and Loki, Ultron or Thanos; it's between Captain America and Iron Man.  Their personalities clash in Avengers; but it's in Age of Ultron that their ideals really start coming into conflict, which remains unresolved until Endgame.  I don't think anyone would think Loki, Ultron or Thanos were in the right; but as you said, it's not so easy to know who is right between Steve Rogers or Tony Stark.

Which personality clash will dominate the next dozen or more MCU films?

I think it's clear that Disney wants Cumberbatch to replace RDJ as the main man, so Dr. Strange will be one, but who will play off him? Captain Marvel? Black Panther? It doesn't seem obvious to me.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 13, 2019, 01:38:11 AM
Which personality clash will dominate the next dozen or more MCU films?

Kevin Feige vs Robert Iger

Or none at all. Stark vs Cap may have "dominated" one or two films.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Veep goes out with a shattering bang. Well done.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

Detective Pikachu. I was shocked how many Pokemon I knew, in spite of never watching the show.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?