Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 08, 2019, 07:54:46 AM
Just when I think I'm out

Appalling lack of self-awareness.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Fifty Shades Darker. It doesn't seem very realistic to me. I have NEVER met a woman whose overnight stuff could fit into Anastasia's tiny toiletry bag.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Quote from: Syt on May 08, 2019, 12:56:30 PM
Trailer for HBO's Watchmen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zymgtV99Rko

:huh: :huh:

I think John Oliver said it best on Sunday.

"Only two more episodes of Game of Thrones. HBO is so fucked."

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Habbaku

...until a spin-off is released in 2020.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josephus

Quote from: Habbaku on May 08, 2019, 01:23:35 PM

I wonder how well that will do though.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on May 08, 2019, 12:56:30 PM
Trailer for HBO's Watchmen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zymgtV99Rko

:huh: :huh:

That trailer feels like somebody was shown some comic panels of the original, without text, and had to recreate the story just going by that and "Watchmen"

Habbaku

Quote from: Josephus on May 08, 2019, 01:27:41 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on May 08, 2019, 01:23:35 PM

I wonder how well that will do though.

The first season will do quite well, I'd predict. After that, it depends on the quality.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Savonarola

Quote from: viper37 on May 04, 2019, 04:43:48 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on May 03, 2019, 03:25:27 PM
I could see Ant-Man; what is it that you think makes Civil War outstanding?

I think it's essential to understand how this universe works, the forces at work behind the scene, and a metaphor for our own societies: more government control vs less government control.

It's no longer about teamwork (Avengers 1), it's about divided/conflicted loyalties, friendship and duty, how should you react to what you believe is right, how hard should you fight for order vs freedom?  Does more freedom always equate with more chaos?  Does more control always equate with better security for everyone?  What is the price we are willing to pay for freedom or for our own security?

How easy is it for good intentions to become evilness incarnate?

It raises all kinds of interesting questions, I believe.

Those are good points; and what I think drives the Avengers movies.  The real conflict isn't between the Avengers and Loki, Ultron or Thanos; it's between Captain America and Iron Man.  Their personalities clash in Avengers; but it's in Age of Ultron that their ideals really start coming into conflict, which remains unresolved until Endgame.  I don't think anyone would think Loki, Ultron or Thanos were in the right; but as you said, it's not so easy to know who is right between Steve Rogers or Tony Stark.

Civil War, as part of the broader narrative worked; but just as an individual film I thought it had some problems.  That, to me, was the point where there started to be too many characters.  It wasn't clear why certain heroes fought on the side they did and the film couldn't be long enough to provide all of them with motivation.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: viper37 on May 07, 2019, 09:50:31 AM
Quote from: Malthus on May 07, 2019, 08:27:02 AM
The new Avengers movie made around a gazillion dollars.

Oh well, I guess we can look forward to nothing but more superhero movies into the foreseeable future.  :cry:
:showoff:

Oh, don't worry. There will be giant transformable robots too ;)

Live action remakes of Disney cartoons and The Fast and The Furious sequels as well.  The future looks bright indeed.   :cool:

(But every January studios will release a series of "Prestige" pictures in order to win awards.  These movies teach us an important lesson; either "Racism is bad" or "Entertainment is good."  Hollywood has not shied away from controversy in these troubled times.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

I look forward to The Faust and the Furious. In which a German university professor sells his soul to drive fast cars in illegal street races.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

Quote from: Savonarola on May 08, 2019, 02:16:23 PM
(But every January studios will release a series of "Prestige" pictures in order to win awards.  These movies teach us an important lesson; either "Racism is bad" or "Entertainment is good."  Hollywood has not shied away from controversy in these troubled times.)

You forgot one important lesson: "Only through the impersonation of a real person can we truly reach the heights of the acting craft".
Que le grand cric me croque !

katmai

Tonight's What we do in the shadows :lol:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

celedhring

Quote from: katmai on May 09, 2019, 12:27:39 AM
Tonight's What we do in the shadows :lol:

Was going to post exactly that  :lol:

The cameos. The dance of the Vampire Council  :lol: