And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: Josephus on April 14, 2019, 07:05:53 AM
If you only watch one thing today, watch "Game of thrones."

But if you watch two, watch Death of Stalin. Funniest thing I've seen in years. Really well done

I'm looking forward to GoT.

I've seen Death of Stalin. Good satire!  :)

KRonn

I saw Patrick Schwarzenegger in a movie and man, he looks so much like his father. Even with some of his mannerisms. He's also built well, not like his dad though.

I also saw a pic of Casper Van Dien's son - kid looks just like him when Casper was younger!

Reminds me of meeting a friend's grown daughter years after they moved away. I hadn't seen the girl since she was a baby. When I saw her I thought she was the mother! An uncanny resemblance.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: KRonn on April 14, 2019, 07:37:48 PM
I was Patrick Schwarzenegger in a movie

Nice. I've never been in a movie.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

I finally managed to watch "What we do in the shadows" last night. It was great fun, as expected, although some jokes felt a bit flat.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on April 15, 2019, 05:36:22 AM
I finally managed to watch "What we do in the shadows" last night. It was great fun, as expected, although some jokes felt a bit flat.

I think the first episode was the weakest, but it found its stride quickly. Not every joke lands, but the joke-to-groan ratio is better than I expected. I still remain skeptical they can make many seasons out of vampire jokes, but so far I'm happy with the show.

Nadja and Colin Anderson are the highlights of the cast for me - although Anderson is the one character I can see running out of gas quicker unless the find another shtick for him. Wasn't too sold on the other two male vampires at first, but they are growing on me.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 15, 2019, 06:00:13 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 15, 2019, 05:36:22 AM

I think the first episode was the weakest, but it found its stride quickly. Not every joke lands, but the joke-to-groan ratio is better than I expected. I still remain skeptical they can make many seasons out of vampire jokes, but so far I'm happy with the show.

Nadja and Colin Anderson are the highlights of the cast for me - although Anderson is the one character I can see running out of gas quicker unless the find another shtick for him. Wasn't too sold on the other two male vampires at first, but they are growing on me.

I meant the movie.  :P I've only seen the first episode of the TV show.

celedhring

:lol:

Somehow I thought you'd had seen it already. Is right your alley.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 15, 2019, 06:07:50 AM

Yeah, I had been meaning to watch it for a long time, yet never got around to do it until yesterday.  :P

It seems to me that the show recycles plenty of material from the movie, right? Besides the tone, that is.

Habbaku

Quote from: celedhring on April 15, 2019, 06:00:13 AM

If Colin Robinson were here he'd spend the next half-hour explaining to you why it's a common mistake to confuse the names "Anderson" and "Robinson".
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on April 15, 2019, 06:34:03 AM

Yeah, I had been meaning to watch it for a long time, yet never got around to do it until yesterday.  :P

It seems to me that the show recycles plenty of material from the movie, right? Besides the tone, that is.

Not sure about that. I mean, the concept and idea are the same, and there are some ideas here and there (the werewolf pack), but the movie focuses more on the vampire's daily nightly life and everyday situations, while the show so far has flashier "vampires doing vampire things" plots (take over the world Staten Island! Fight werewolves!). I liked that the first episodes didn't seem to borrow much from the movie regarding actual situations/jokes.

Wouldn't be surprised if more stuff from the movie appears in later episodes though.

Habbaku

I look forward to more stories about their familiars. The scenes so far with Guillermo have been hilarious.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Also, the first episode was a great subversion of 'representation'. Interview With a Vampire opens Gullermo up to the idea that Hispanics can be vampires too, while the entire episode shows that vampires are pretty obviously bad people and no one should aspire to be one.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 15, 2019, 09:26:18 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 15, 2019, 06:34:03 AM

Not sure about that. I mean, the concept and idea are the same, and there are some ideas here and there (the werewolf pack), but the movie focuses more on the vampire's daily nightly life and everyday situations, while the show so far has flashier "vampires doing vampire things" plots (take over the world Staten Island! Fight werewolves!). I liked that the first episodes didn't seem to borrow much from the movie regarding actual situations/jokes.

Wouldn't be surprised if more stuff from the movie appears in later episodes though.

Well, I was thinking about things like the vampire meeting sketch to discuss house chores, and the like. Even the role structure is similar, with an uptight vampire trying to set rules and two careless ones who don't give a damn.

celedhring

Quote from: Habbaku on April 15, 2019, 09:53:15 AM
I look forward to more stories about their familiars. The scenes so far with Guillermo have been hilarious.

I hope they keep furthering the city council storyline :lol:

Habbaku

The pile of dead raccoons was pretty great.

-J. R. R. Tolkien