News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

James Gunn has a new movie coming out. brightburn. Basically it looks like a movie where tween Superman goes bad. Trailer looks cool
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Trailer for the PG cut of Deadpool 2 has Deadpool talking with Fred Savage, and it's basically all about Nickelback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgh4wSxAKqo
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

I keep seeing this trailer for the Mary Queen of Scots movie with Mary speaking in a Scottish accent.

But shouldn't it be a French accent?  She left Scotland very young.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Next thing you know they'll make Richard Lionheart speak English. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on December 12, 2018, 12:54:01 AM

That one drives me nuts every time. There was that horrible Robin Hood movie with Russell Crowe where Aliénor d'Aquitaine was mad at her son Jean sans Terre for betraying their good English values by marrying the DIRTY FRENCH WOMAN Isabelle d'Angoulême!!!11 At that point I was sure the movie was created just to fuck with me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

If it's a movie for English speaking audiences I don't have a huge problem with that.  But from the trailer it seemed like they made a specific point of playing up her Scottish accent (the actress is Irish-American).
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Oexmelin

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 11, 2018, 10:44:09 PM
I keep seeing this trailer for the Mary Queen of Scots movie with Mary speaking in a Scottish accent.

But shouldn't it be a French accent?  She left Scotland very young.

She is reported to have spoken French and « her native language which, though barbarous and rough, she toned in such marvelous ways to make it sound pleasant », by which Brantôme meant Scots, intimately related to English, but it's own language. Her governess Lady Fleming (la Belle Ecossoise) was also speaking French and Scots. Mary reportedly learned to master English only in captivity.
Que le grand cric me croque !

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 12, 2018, 01:44:28 AM

If it's a movie for English speaking audiences I don't have a huge problem with that.  But from the trailer it seemed like they made a specific point of playing up her Scottish accent (the actress is Irish-American).

Though not in the standard way that one typically says Irish American.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on December 12, 2018, 01:20:58 AM

That one drives me nuts every time. There was that horrible Robin Hood movie with Russell Crowe where Aliénor d'Aquitaine was mad at her son Jean sans Terre for betraying their good English values by marrying the DIRTY FRENCH WOMAN Isabelle d'Angoulême!!!11 At that point I was sure the movie was created just to fuck with me.

Clearly, Aliénor d'Aquitaine knew what she was talking about.  :D

I mean, look at her own love life ...  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

:lol:

I haven't seen that fine movie, but even in The Douglas Fairbanks and Errol Flynn movies Richard is the champion of the downtrodden Saxons and John leads a Norman conspiracy.  This all comes from Ivanhoe; (in fact many movie Robin Hoods are akin to the character Ivanhoe: idealistic Saxon nobles who are loyal to Richard), which was never intended to be historically accurate.  Even the 12th Century Norman-Saxon conflict which drives the novel seems to be Scott's invention.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on December 12, 2018, 05:45:26 PM

:lol:

I haven't seen that fine movie, but even in The Douglas Fairbanks and Errol Flynn movies Richard is the champion of the downtrodden Saxons and John leads a Norman conspiracy.  This all comes from Ivanhoe; (in fact many movie Robin Hoods are akin to the character Ivanhoe: idealistic Saxon nobles who are loyal to Richard), which was never intended to be historically accurate.  Even the 12th Century Norman-Saxon conflict which drives the novel seems to be Scott's invention.

Just be thankful that the movies didn't pick up on the authentic medieval legend of Richard - that he turned cannibal.

Quote"Shall we never die for default
When we may, in any assault
Slee Saracens, the flesh may take
And seethen, rosten, and do then bake,
And gnawen them flesh to the bones!
Now that I have proved it ones
For hunger erre I be woe
I and my folk shall eat moe."
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on December 12, 2018, 06:02:20 PM
Just be thankful that the movies didn't pick up on the authentic medieval legend of Richard - that he turned cannibal.

Quote"Shall we never die for default
When we may, in any assault
Slee Saracens, the flesh may take
And seethen, rosten, and do then bake,
And gnawen them flesh to the bones!
Now that I have proved it ones
For hunger erre I be woe
I and my folk shall eat moe."

Why does every "Fun fact" posted on this forum have to deal with cannibalism, bestiality or Jim Harbaugh?   :(

;)

That's interesting; I'd never heard of Richard Coer de Lyon.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Liep

I had hoped Aquaman wouldn't suck as his segment was the only tolerable bit of the DC Avengers. Unfortunately it's being butchered in reviews here. :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Feeling sorry for Momoa, he seems to get shitty deals.

E.g. I thought he was a great Conan a couple of years ago, but unfortunately, the movie itself sucked (though the first half hour or so is quite decent).

"Hey we got the rights for Conan, who tangled with alien Gods and had some crazy amazing adventures! Let's put him in a bog standard revenge story." :bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.