Author Topic: TV/Movies Megathread  (Read 1758320 times)

Razgovory

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Neil
  • Madman of Languish
Re: TV/Movies Megathread
« Reply #40785 on: December 05, 2018, 07:38:21 pm »
Man in the High Castle has become a bit of a slog this season. It was never the greatest of shows, but I stopped caring about nearly anything except the nazi/japanese intrigue subplots.

I got board with it last season.  I think I watched the first half of the first episode for this season.  The biggest problem is that the good guys aren't all that interesting.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

"I love how Raz just becomes the caricature for exactly what he is claiming doesn't actually exist...and he doesn't even know it! He is 100% oblivious to the irony of his own statements." - Berkut telling a lie.

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

• Incan Torpedo Boat Commander
  • Mussoloony
« Reply #40786 on: December 05, 2018, 10:45:38 pm »
Is 'Sicario 2: Soldado' worth watching?

I liked it. If you enjoyed the first one for all the tense moments and shootouts and cynical assessment of the guys in charge, you'll like this one too.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

mongers

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Embrace the solitude
« Reply #40787 on: December 05, 2018, 10:48:15 pm »
Is 'Sicario 2: Soldado' worth watching?

I liked it. If you enjoyed the first one for all the tense moments and shootouts and cynical assessment of the guys in charge, you'll like this one too.

Thanks Habbs, I'll give it a spin tomorrow.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Habbaku

• Mussoloony
« Reply #40788 on: December 05, 2018, 10:51:25 pm »
You reminded me that it, like the first in the series, has a really well-done shootout scene about halfway in. This one showcases what happens when you pit semi-professionals against truly veteran soldiers.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

• Octogon Champion
  • Uncle Istvan
« Reply #40789 on: December 06, 2018, 06:14:36 pm »
Been on the fence. Now I'm not. :)
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Solmyr

• Blue Ribbon Brother
« Reply #40790 on: December 07, 2018, 07:53:09 am »

celedhring

• Octogon Champion
  • Not capturing Amiens.
« Reply #40791 on: December 07, 2018, 12:18:43 pm »
Season finale of Man in the High Castle was probably the only really good episode of the season.  :hmm:

Guess I'll give S4 a chance when it comes out, probably to be disappointed.

Grey Fox

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Ed Anger's tormentor
« Reply #40792 on: December 07, 2018, 12:36:22 pm »
I fast forwarded so much of the season. Pretty much anytime Smith's wife is there.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #40793 on: December 08, 2018, 02:06:00 am »
I may have to start watching Poldark, after all.  :hmm:

“Hello, I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of alien encounters is true. By true, I mean...false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies, and in the end, isn't that the truth?

The answer is no.”

The Brain

• Blessed by Valmy
  • All man
« Reply #40794 on: December 08, 2018, 03:07:42 am »
Preach it! The pic a little out of focus but hubba hubba!
You are gay.

Valmy

• Neil
  • Champions du Monde
« Reply #40795 on: December 08, 2018, 03:09:04 am »
My wife watches that show. I can safely say that both Syt and The Brain will be satisfied with what is on offer  :P
If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Valmy is practically french. :frog:

Honorary gay award from Martinus

Eddie Teach

• Neil
« Reply #40796 on: December 08, 2018, 06:01:12 am »

/groan
You know I'm going to lose
And gambling's for fools
But that's the way I like it
Baby, I don't want to live forever.

Josephus

• Defender of the Left
« Reply #40797 on: December 08, 2018, 06:23:23 am »

And that red head's in the way
"Every gun that's made; every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies a THEFT from those who hunger and are not fed and those who are cold and are not clothed.”....Dwight Eisenhower

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

• Neil
« Reply #40798 on: December 09, 2018, 07:03:56 pm »
MI Fallout. Okay, though the action scenes are less spectacular than I'd been led to believe.
You know I'm going to lose
And gambling's for fools
But that's the way I like it
Baby, I don't want to live forever.

Benedict Arnold

• Sugar Glider
  • "All is Dust"
« Reply #40799 on: December 09, 2018, 10:33:51 pm »
I decided to do a 7-Day free trial of the new DC Comics streaming service DC Universe.  I dove into Batman:  The Brave and The Bold as I had heard it was pretty decent.  I've not been disappointed so far.  A lot of great 70's and 80's characters are brought in and the stories are amusing.  Diedrich Bader does a solid Batman, but I miss the voices from the Batman/Superman/Justice League shows.  I'm going to give their Titans show a go as well.  I can definitely see myself using this for at least a month or two minimum with all of the content they have.  I'd suggest the trial to anyone remotely interested.
"Love to my country actuates my present conduct, however it may appear inconsistent to the world, who very seldom judge right of any man's actions."

"...this was a bitter tormented soul, a sinner who mocked both gods and men. He served but found no pride in service. He fought but took no joy in victory. He drank, to drown his pain in a sea of wine. He did not love, nor was he loved himself."

My conscience hath a thousand several tongues,
And every tongue brings in a several tale,
And every tale condemns me for a villain.
Richard III, 5. 3