News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Habbaku on November 30, 2018, 12:17:56 PM
Right. Are you really going to get cable and not get broadband internet? Internet access isn't something to be accounted for when comparing all the streaming services vs. cable.

I pay for 250Gigs a month or MBs or whatever, I don't know. Which is enough for me. But if I had kids, I'd probably have to pay for Unlimited, which is $30 or so more. If I didn't stream I could do with 250 or even less.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

A 60mb/unlimited connection is ~70$/month + tax
Netflix is between 10 to 17$ - no tax
Crave (Bell OTT service) is 20$/month + tax
Illico (Videotron OTT service) is 10$/month + tax
Tou.tv Extra ( French Public broadcaster OTT service) is 7$/month + tax

Personally, I have Cable - Internet & Netflix for 115$/month. Illico is included in my Cable package.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on November 30, 2018, 10:16:26 AM
I find it ironic in an Alanis Morissette way; that the Millennials who were bragging about saving costs by cord-cutting now have to pay an arm and a leg to all the different streaming companies, + high speed internet access to watch everything they want to watch.
high speed internet access + vpn + usenet + torrent + computer + 40tb of hard drives.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 30, 2018, 12:31:03 PM

Personally, I have Cable - Internet & Netflix for 115$/month. Illico is included in my Cable package.
I droped Illico, not worth it.  Some boring detective story and that's all.
Crave, I couldn't get HD during my trial, so I didn't pursue the venture further.
Netflix, I'd like to get, maybe.  But without Marvel shows, there isn't much content I want to watch.
Tou.tv, not much on it either.  Les Belles histoires des pays d'en haut isn't really for me.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Finished Narcos: Mexico. Interesting thought experiment to have a country run by katmais. [spoiler]In the show El Jefe rarely has bodyguards around. Is that based on any fact or is it just a way to stress the solitary nature of his position? Note: there is some lesbian kissing.[/spoiler]
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on November 30, 2018, 03:49:22 PM
I find it ironic in an Alanis Morissette way; that the Millennials who were bragging about saving costs by cord-cutting now have to pay an arm and a leg to all the different streaming companies, + high speed internet access to watch everything they want to watch.
high speed internet access + vpn + usenet + torrent + computer + 40tb of hard drives.

Could also rob a bank I suppose.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on November 30, 2018, 03:52:25 PM

I droped Illico, not worth it.  Some boring detective story and that's all.
Crave, I couldn't get HD during my trial, so I didn't pursue the venture further.
Netflix, I'd like to get, maybe.  But without Marvel shows, there isn't much content I want to watch.
Tou.tv, not much on it either.  Les Belles histoires des pays d'en haut isn't really for me.

Yeah, I've never watched anything on Illico either. All the real canadian offering are bad. Crave is 720p only afaik.

What do you want to watch that is not on Netflix? Personnaly, I like their documentaries.

Tamas

We pay 49 pounds a month for 200mb Internet (no landline) and IIRC 9 pounds for Netflix. That comes out at around 74USD.

WTF is up with Canada. My future Global Warming Promised Land.

Josephus

Canadian wireless such as Internet, and Phone costs are notoroiously expensive compared with other countries.
Civis Romanus Sum

Syt

I have the cable base channel package plus unlimited 250/50 internet for 70.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on December 01, 2018, 04:41:55 AM

We pay 49 pounds a month for 200mb Internet (no landline) and IIRC 9 pounds for Netflix. That comes out at around 74USD.

WTF is up with Canada. My future Global Warming Promised Land.

Oligopoly of 3 companies.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on November 30, 2018, 07:56:12 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 30, 2018, 03:49:22 PM

Could also rob a bank I suppose.
Yes.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 30, 2018, 08:55:49 PM
What do you want to watch that is not on Netflix? Personnaly, I like their documentaries.
NCIS :P

No, I haven't checked recently.  I know Star Wars and Marvel aren't there, afaik.  Game of Thrones is not on Netflix.  The Walking Dead, I don't think so?  Vikings isn't on Netflix, but the new Star Trek and Frontier are though.

I don't know.  It seems I would require Crave + Netflix, but Crave isn't full HD, let alone 4k.
Cable companies were very slow to react to Netflix like apps.

I do have Amazon Prime though.  I watched a couple of very bad adventure movies.

Eddie Teach

Netflix does run Marvel movies from time to time.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?