News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Aren't they all going to end now that Marvel will be streamed from Disney+?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

The last Daredevil season was actually rather good, at least it went out on a high note.

This confirms that Marvel at Netflix is over though, we'll get the next seasons of Jessica Jones (whose showrunner has already said it's leaving the show afterwards) and Punisher and that it will be it. A pity. I vastly prefer them to the Arrowverse/Supergirl stuff and the current Disney Marvel shows.

Syt

Aren't Arrow and Supergirl DC, though? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Also, I look at the "In development" section over at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney%2B and notice there's not really much in original concepts ... 3 Men and a Baby, Don Quixote, Father of the Bride, Honey I shrunk the Kids, Parent Trap, Peter Pan, The Sword in the Stone ... I'm happy to see that Clone Wars will get its 7th season. Its closure was rather rushed when Disney took over. Some of the canceled episodes were far in development, and the plots are considered canon. Some of them were released in comic form (like the Darth Maul stuff).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on November 30, 2018, 04:30:20 AM
Aren't Arrow and Supergirl DC, though? :unsure:

I was comparing the Netflix Marvel universe to other superhero TV franchises. It had slipped in quality lately but it was still the best superhero stuff on TV.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on November 30, 2018, 04:34:10 AM
Also, I look at the "In development" section over at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney%2B and notice there's not really much in original concepts ...
Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Snow White, they were all originals back then? :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

I find it ironic in an Alanis Morissette way; that the Millennials who were bragging about saving costs by cord-cutting now have to pay an arm and a leg to all the different streaming companies, + high speed internet access to watch everything they want to watch.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Quote from: viper37 on November 30, 2018, 08:44:37 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 30, 2018, 04:34:10 AM
Also, I look at the "In development" section over at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney%2B and notice there's not really much in original concepts ...
Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Snow White, they were all originals back then? :P

No, but Disney seems to be regurgitating stuff they've covered before now.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Josephus on November 30, 2018, 10:16:26 AM
I find it ironic in an Alanis Morissette way; that the Millennials who were bragging about saving costs by cord-cutting now have to pay an arm and a leg to all the different streaming companies, + high speed internet access to watch everything they want to watch.

Still cheaper than cable.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

frunk

I'd get high speed internet anyway, and the streaming services are still cheaper than the most basic cable plan (and offer way more that I want to watch than cable ever did).

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 30, 2018, 10:29:30 AM

Still cheaper than cable.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

HBO is 8€/month over here, Netflix is 13€/month if you want 4K... So yeah, I can subscribe to several platforms and still save a bunch compared to the old TV packages (I used to pay 80€/month for mine) with vastly more convenience and choice. I'm sure the millennials will be fine.

Habbaku

How much do all those services run in your area? Anything other than basic cable is pretty pricey here. A couple of streaming services and broadband internet is economical.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on November 30, 2018, 11:57:03 AM

How much do all those services run in your area? Anything other than basic cable is pretty pricey here. A couple of streaming services and broadband internet is economical.

Especially since everyone is paying for broadband internet anyway.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Right. Are you really going to get cable and not get broadband internet? Internet access isn't something to be accounted for when comparing all the streaming services vs. cable.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien