And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on October 26, 2018, 09:06:52 AM
Beetljuice (1988)

Not much a performance by the greatest actor in the world; but otherwise a great deal of fun.  Tim Burton was wise to use Michael Keaton sparingly; he's only in the film for about 20 minutes, but any more than that and he would have become annoying. 

I saw this on the big screen; that allowed for some of Burton's weirder vision to shine through.  I especially like the scene in Sylvia Sidney's office where a group of skeleton's seem to be watching the film from... the other side. :o  Tim Burton may have made better films than this but I don't think he ever made a more Tim Burtonesque film (maybe Edward Scissorhands.)

The Nightmare Before Christmas is probably the most Tim Burtonesque film ever made.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on October 26, 2018, 09:32:15 AM
Beetljuice (1988)

Not much a performance by the greatest actor in the world; but otherwise a great deal of fun.  Tim Burton was wise to use Michael Keaton sparingly; he's only in the film for about 20 minutes, but any more than that and he would have become annoying. 

I saw this on the big screen; that allowed for some of Burton's weirder vision to shine through.  I especially like the scene in Sylvia Sidney's office where a group of skeleton's seem to be watching the film from... the other side. :o  Tim Burton may have made better films than this but I don't think he ever made a more Tim Burtonesque film (maybe Edward Scissorhands.)

The Nightmare Before Christmas is probably the most Tim Burtonesque film ever made.

Funnily enough, it was not directed by Tim Burton.  :P

celedhring

He didn't even write the script. He supplied the basic story and character designs.

Valmy

So it should be:

Somebody Else's The Nightmare Before Christmas?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

Beetljuice (1988)

Very fun movie, agreed on that.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on October 26, 2018, 10:06:02 AM
So it should be:

Somebody Else's The Nightmare Before Christmas?

Interesting.  [Goes and reads up on the movie's history]

Well it was Burton's original idea, and he was the one who pushed for it to be developed in the first place (and he was credited as the producer) so I think it's fair he can have his name on the title.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

He got his name on it because it was the only way to market it as a Burton film, since he neither directed or wrote it.  :P

If you watch Coraline or James and the Giant Peach you can see how "Christmas" belongs in no small part to Henry Selick, too. He thrived doing those stop-motion dark fairy talesque stories.

Syt

Is it me or are a lot of currently hyped/very popular TV shows either:
- period pieces (and I include Better Call Saul which is about 10-15 years back)
- sci-fi
- fantasy
- have strong elements of fantasy/supernatural
?

What good current-day, grounded in reality shows are there at the moment? :unsure:

#NotWatchingMuchTV
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Ozark's first season was good, haven't watched season 2 yet.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on October 27, 2018, 05:34:43 AM
- period pieces (and I include Better Call Saul which is about 10-15 years back)
- sci-fi
- fantasy
?

What good current-day, grounded in reality shows are there at the moment? :unsure:

#NotWatchingMuchTV

Most shows on Fox are current day dark versions of The West Wing.  Some controversy over wether Tim Burton should be credited for their creation.

11B4V

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 27, 2018, 05:42:14 AM
Ozark's first season was good, haven't watched season 2 yet.

It's OK.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on October 27, 2018, 05:34:43 AM
- sci-fi
- fantasy
?

#NotWatchingMuchTV

Shameless and The Affair

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

"Van Helsing" season started a couple weeks back. Another dystopian world with vampire and worse type creatures but they aren't so mindless. They have leaders and some organization. Same for the humans who fight them, different human groups who sometimes clash with each other, with some humans with unique abilities mixed in.