News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on October 10, 2018, 03:23:39 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 10, 2018, 02:34:29 PM
My main problem is that I really really don't care about the shows official main character; Juliana Crane.

I like the show, but I have to agree with you there.  Not big on her ex-boyfriend Frank Frink, either.

I like it too.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Maladict

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 10, 2018, 03:30:22 PM
Quote from: celedhring on October 10, 2018, 03:25:53 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on October 10, 2018, 03:12:42 PM
Yeah, the best characters are the Japanese minister and inspector, and the U.S.-based Nazi.  I don't think they originally intended that.

Agreed. The biggest problem of this show is that the supposed main characters don't really seem to have much of a direction.

Yeah, as characters, Julia Crane is just kinda boring, Frank Frink is mildly annoying, and Joe Blake is just completely useless

They should have killed off at least two of them in the first series.

celedhring

Quote from: Maladict on October 13, 2018, 12:41:00 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on October 10, 2018, 03:30:22 PM
Quote from: celedhring on October 10, 2018, 03:25:53 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on October 10, 2018, 03:12:42 PM
Yeah, the best characters are the Japanese minister and inspector, and the U.S.-based Nazi.  I don't think they originally intended that.

Agreed. The biggest problem of this show is that the supposed main characters don't really seem to have much of a direction.

Yeah, as characters, Julia Crane is just kinda boring, Frank Frink is mildly annoying, and Joe Blake is just completely useless

They should have killed off at least two of them in the first series.

Instead they [spoiler]resurrected one of them[/spoiler] in the current one.  :lol:

11B4V

Unforgotten: 1st Series A-
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

FunkMonk

Halfway through The Haunting of Hill House, the new and much-acclaimed horror Netflix series.

This show is fucked up man
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Eddie Teach

Was that one of those ones where a bunch of strangers are summoned to a mansion in the middle of nowhere?

Josephus

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 13, 2018, 05:34:56 PM
Halfway through The Haunting of Hill House, the new and much-acclaimed horror Netflix series.

Fucked up good?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Habbaku

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 13, 2018, 06:36:51 PM
Was that one of those ones where a bunch of strangers are summoned to a mansion in the middle of nowhere?

No.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Josephus on October 13, 2018, 09:15:31 PM

Fucked up good?

I think it's very good so far. Definitely recommended if you like slow-burn, non-stupid horror.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Oh I was thinking of The House on Haunted Hill.

Josephus

Quote from: Habbaku on October 13, 2018, 10:23:59 PM
Quote from: Josephus on October 13, 2018, 09:15:31 PM

Fucked up good?

I think it's very good so far. Definitely recommended if you like slow-burn, non-stupid horror.

Good enough for me. Thanks for the recommendation.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 13, 2018, 10:52:19 PM
Oh I was thinking of The House on Haunted Hill.

To be fair, the book and (original) movie The Haunting of Hill House not only featured the trope of "a bunch of strangers are summoned to a mansion in the middle of nowhere," it originated it. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

KRonn

Quote from: Syt on October 10, 2018, 10:37:50 AM
Yeah, Kim probably got her final wake up call to realize what kind of person Jimmy, now Saul, is. Jimmy is now burning bridges; the scholarship meeting was probably the last straw as he understood that the judgement the panel applied to the shoplifting girl trying to better herself applied just the same to him. So screw them! He'll give up the McGill name and be Saul Goodman now.

Werner seriously misjudged the people he was working for. And Mike crossed a major threshold with killing Ziegler. I suppose he did it because he knew that Gus would probably not just kill him but also make him suffer; giving him a quick death was all he could do. Still, he's been getting dragged deeper and deeper into the operation. I really liked him using his investigative skills and his wits this episode.

Regarding Lalo (the guy following Mike):

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Lalo_Salamanca

QuoteBreaking Bad
Season 2

When Saul Goodman is kidnapped by Walter White and Jesse Pinkman and taken to the desert, Saul assumes that it is Lalo who has abducted him and starts begging for his life, blaming Ignacio for what happened, swearing he's always been friends with the cartel. After realizing Walter and Jesse's confusion, he understands he had mistaken them for Lalo and sighs in relief.

So I guess he'll live? Still, while he previously seemed slightly less thuggish and more convivial than the other Salamanca's, this episode shows that he's just as brutal and ruthless. Seriously, the Salamanca clan is pretty messed up.

EDIT: I'm glad we did get a scene of Michael McKean singing, though. :)

Yeah, we see how bad Mike can be, an assassin for his boss, but still I like him and he's a fan favorite. I didn't remember Lalo from BB but thanks for the info on him. I'm waiting for the blow up between him and Mike or between their respective crews. Though I doubt it'll be that bad given that many of them continue in the series to BB.

McKean did a great job singing! Man, he's been around in a lot of shows/movies. My first recollection of him was in the sitcom Laverne and Shirley which played from the late 70s to early 80s.

Josephus

Yeah, liked him in Laverne and Shirley. Of course he was also in Spinal Tap.
Civis Romanus Sum