News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: Syt on October 10, 2018, 02:18:08 AM
Any thoughts on the season finale of Better Call Saul?

Kim got a surprise but probably necessary look at Jimmy when he spoke to the panel to get his law license back. Kim thought he was being heartfelt, and I also thought he might be sincere, but afterwards he slammed the panel for their gullibility and that brought brought Kim up short.  A real wake up call for her.

I was bummed that it was decided to kill Ziegler, though not surprised. He was messing with some hard core people and he knew it, or should have known. Mike had his orders from Fring, I'm sure.  Then I was actually surprised that Ziegler knew Fring's name as he said he wanted to talk to Fring. I would have thought that Fring at least would have used a fake name to avoid anyting being traced to him in case someone on the crew talked about their project later on.

The guy tailing Mike is a new development that will certainly come to a head next season. Maybe bring in new battles between Fring and another big dealer or kingpin type dude.

Syt

Yeah, Kim probably got her final wake up call to realize what kind of person Jimmy, now Saul, is. Jimmy is now burning bridges; the scholarship meeting was probably the last straw as he understood that the judgement the panel applied to the shoplifting girl trying to better herself applied just the same to him. So screw them! He'll give up the McGill name and be Saul Goodman now.

Werner seriously misjudged the people he was working for. And Mike crossed a major threshold with killing Ziegler. I suppose he did it because he knew that Gus would probably not just kill him but also make him suffer; giving him a quick death was all he could do. Still, he's been getting dragged deeper and deeper into the operation. I really liked him using his investigative skills and his wits this episode.

Regarding Lalo (the guy following Mike):

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Lalo_Salamanca

QuoteBreaking Bad
Season 2

When Saul Goodman is kidnapped by Walter White and Jesse Pinkman and taken to the desert, Saul assumes that it is Lalo who has abducted him and starts begging for his life, blaming Ignacio for what happened, swearing he's always been friends with the cartel. After realizing Walter and Jesse's confusion, he understands he had mistaken them for Lalo and sighs in relief.

So I guess he'll live? Still, while he previously seemed slightly less thuggish and more convivial than the other Salamanca's, this episode shows that he's just as brutal and ruthless. Seriously, the Salamanca clan is pretty messed up.

EDIT: I'm glad we did get a scene of Michael McKean singing, though. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 09, 2018, 01:34:03 PM
Season 3 of the Man in the High Castle is out.

Only watched episode 1. My take aways are 1) they have turned up the uneasiness of watching a mature Nazi society exist 2) I don't know what this season will be about

Finished watching Season 3.  By episode 3-ish you should have a pretty good idea of what it's about and what it's building up to. 

Without giving away spoilers, I like how Chief Inspector Kido's character continues to develop.  They do a lot to develop John Smith (as I guess they should, since it's kind of his show), but honestly I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to think about what's going on in his head.

You get a deeper look into Nazi society, but only at the upper levels.  I wish they'd give you more insight into your everyday GNR citizen's life is like, like they do in the Japanese Pacific States-- and even more in the Neutral Zone.  There are some nicely-placed little alt-history nuggets along the way (involving Joe DiMaggio, John Wayne, Wrigley Field, and others).

I kind of wish I had gone back and at least watched the last episode or two of Season 2.  There are plot twists in Season 3 involving some things I had forgotten about from the previous season.

And as a side note, there is (offscreen) lesbian sex in this one.  And other stuff.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

But they're both hot Nazi women.  That has to count for something.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I found last season terribly boring.  I did like the Japanese inspector, he was an interesting character.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

My main problem is that I really really don't care about the shows official main character; Juliana Crane.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tonitrus

Yeah, the best characters are the Japanese minister and inspector, and the U.S.-based Nazi.  I don't think they originally intended that.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 10, 2018, 02:34:29 PM
My main problem is that I really really don't care about the shows official main character; Juliana Crane.

I like the show, but I have to agree with you there.  Not big on her ex-boyfriend Frank Frink, either.

The Minsky Moment

Rufus Sewell is not A-list by any means but he's a name, I'm sure they intended for his character to be significant.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

celedhring

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 10, 2018, 03:12:42 PM
Yeah, the best characters are the Japanese minister and inspector, and the U.S.-based Nazi.  I don't think they originally intended that.

Agreed. The biggest problem of this show is that the supposed main characters don't really seem to have much of a direction.

Tonitrus

Quote from: celedhring on October 10, 2018, 03:25:53 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on October 10, 2018, 03:12:42 PM

Agreed. The biggest problem of this show is that the supposed main characters don't really seem to have much of a direction.

Yeah, as characters, Julia Crane is just kinda boring, Frank Frink is mildly annoying, and Joe Blake is just completely useless

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 10, 2018, 03:24:32 PM
Rufus Sewell is not A-list by any means but he's a name, I'm sure they intended for his character to be significant.

Season 3 has William Forsythe-- as J. Edgar Hoover :)

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 10, 2018, 03:24:32 PM

He was the star of one of my favorite films, Dark City.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

I've watched the first 3 episodes of this show Maniac on Netflix.
Proving quite good. Weird parallel world sort of thing, retro-future 80s feeling.
██████
██████
██████