News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Blade! Runner 2049 (2017)

The movie was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

The film is visually stunning, despite its limited color palette (not even 50 Shades of Grey had this much grey.)  The story, on the other hand... well, the first two hours are a drawn out noir mystery, which also is a meditative reflection on what it means to be human; then Harrison Ford shows up and the film turns into a pulse pounding action thriller, and then the special effects budget runs out and the film ends.

:P ;)

I assume they're planning a sequel to this film; (not that they really ended it with almost everything unresolved due to running out of special effects.)  Even so the first two thirds of the film seem drawn out; and the final third rushed.  It's watchable; but nowhere near as good as the original.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Gups

Part way through season 2 (of 4) Halt and Catch Fire set in the world of early home computing and the start of the popularity of the internet/forums. It's pretty good, if a it formulaic (there is a crisis every week). It's not well known here for some reason.

In other news Gomorrah Season 3 is fucking awesome. Lighting and photography is spectacular. Up there in the top 10 of all time list.

Josquius

I've started watching a comedy series called Norsemen on netflix. It's alright.
Though reading about it I am fascinated. It's a Norwegian made series, and both an English language and a Norwegian version were filmed.
I've not heard of this being done in recent times, though I know it used to be common practice in the early days of cinema (albeit then with totally different actors).
Fascinating.
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Quote from: Tyr on February 21, 2018, 02:24:23 PM
I've not heard of this being done in recent times, though I know it used to be common practice in the early days of cinema (albeit then with totally different actors).

Usually; Laurel and Hardy phonetically sounded out their in Spanish and French in the very early days of sound.  Greta Garbo is the star in both the English and German versions of Anna Christie; though with a completely different support cast (and wardrobe.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

:yes: Swedes are genuises. :smarty:

Swedish coastal rangers know English better than Americans do. Too late?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on February 21, 2018, 03:02:00 PM

Why would I need to know English? I am never going to England.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on February 21, 2018, 03:22:09 PM
Quote from: The Brain on February 21, 2018, 03:02:00 PM

Why would I need to know English? I am never going to England.

My God you people are ignorant.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on February 21, 2018, 03:22:09 PM
Why would I need to know English?

In case you are on the Swedish coast.  Duh.

Savonarola

Black Panther (2018)

It wasn't bad enough that there are already a ton of films that encourage children to play on railroad tracks; now Marvel has to make one that encourages children to have brawls on railroad tracks in front of oncoming trains.  Thanks a lot, Disney.   :mad: :mad: :mad:

;)

I thought it was interesting that the film presented two different points of view that were both deemed wrong (not helping the rest of the world / conquering the rest of the world), and develops a third correct view.  Cecil B. DeMille's silent films often follow that formula in his silent films; the original "Ten Commandments" and "The Godless Girl" for example.

Fortunately the film didn't get too bogged down in the message and it made for a nice espionage/action film.  My only knock in the film is that [spoiler]the silent shoes had no bearing whatsoever on the rest of the movie.  They were in their only for the lame "Sneakers" gag.[/spoiler]

The Brain

You don't like that it's completely black? :huh:

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

So, does anybody at all out there remember the 90s-era CGI kids show "ReBoot"?  I actually remember it fondly.  The 90s-era CGI I imagine has not held up well, but after a couple seasons of purely episodic storytelling (the kind where everything returns to the same by the end of the episode), it suddenly veered wildly into serialized storytelling which was kind of unprecedented for a 90s cable-tv kids show.  It was made in Canada so I'm not entirely sure how much it was shown around the globe.

It's being, well, rebooted.

With live characters / CGI hybrid.  On Netflix, of course.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Did it star Robin Sparkles?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

A quick Googling confirms that, yes, my memory was correct and the ReBoot reboot has been in the works for some time. I have no idea if it'll be any good, but I do have fond memories of watching it when I was young.

No way in hell am I going back to rewatch them now though.  :P
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on February 22, 2018, 12:12:21 PM
So, does anybody at all out there remember the 90s-era CGI kids show "ReBoot"?  I actually remember it fondly.  The 90s-era CGI I imagine has not held up well, but after a couple seasons of purely episodic storytelling (the kind where everything returns to the same by the end of the episode), it suddenly veered wildly into serialized storytelling which was kind of unprecedented for a 90s cable-tv kids show.  It was made in Canada so I'm not entirely sure how much it was shown around the globe.

It's being, well, rebooted.

With live characters / CGI hybrid.  On Netflix, of course.

I remember quite liking it, until suddenly without warning it all changed.
The main hero was gone and the kid sidekick was all grown up and 90s-dark.
██████
██████
██████