News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Demolition Man. It's the future lefties want. A sterile, no fun society.

Filmed saved by a young Sandra Bullock. :perv:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 19, 2017, 07:41:48 PM

Taco Bell.

She was pretty cute in it, though.  But so was Benjamin Bratt.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 19, 2017, 07:47:12 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 19, 2017, 07:41:48 PM

Taco Bell.

She was pretty cute in it, though.  But so was Benjamin Bratt.

Had a kid a young Airman (millennial) ask someone "what is your boggle?".  When I said, "good DM reference", she gave me a "what, huh?" look, and explained that it was something her mother always said.  :glare:

Admiral Yi

Last two days I've been bingeing on "Irish People Try X" on youtube.  I just can't stop myself.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

I just slammed 10 more.  I'm lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y7bS3kKYV0&t=53s

Anyone interested here's a sample.  The booze ones and the ones with Laura, the green-eyed redhead, are the best. 

Barrister

Okay, those are strangely time consuming.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

It helps that they sometimes get some smoking hot women on there.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

When I lived in the US I tried some non-poisonous moonshine. Far from the worst I've had, really.

Worst moonshine I've ever tried is the one from the Balearic Islands ("ví pagès" Catalan for "farmer's wine"). Three days of diarrhea during and after the New Year's Eve of 2012.

Josephus

Finished last season of Halt and Catch Fire. A pretty good and underrated series that took place in the mid80s-early 90s computer revolution. Sad ending.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

KRonn

Quote from: Josephus on October 20, 2017, 07:01:41 AM
Finished last season of Halt and Catch Fire. A pretty good and underrated series that took place in the mid80s-early 90s computer revolution. Sad ending.

Agreed, good show, good characters. I liked the character arcs of some of the cast from the beginning of the show towards the middle and ending. I do wonder why they chose to add in the sad part which seemed unnecessary. Also interesting to see the cast's business ventures given what we know today of how computers and especially the internet changed everything. As Joe McMillan said, the computer wasn't the thing; it was the thing that got you to the thing meaning the internet and other activities. They realized that early on and stopped making computers as a small business and got into software games and internet browsers.

The business arc they went though reminded me of my cousins who ran a computer store for years, selling mainly to schools, colleges and businesses and did well until computers became more of a retail item. Once that happened they couldn't compete and shut down, went on to other things.

Josephus

^^

I figure the sad ending was just a nice plot device to wrap things up. Without him, everyone splintered apart, and all was complete.

I wonder what great idea the wife came up with at the end?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

KRonn

At the end Gordon's wife Donna was a managing partner of the firm she was at, so I assume she'll have some success going forward in her career. Joe had totally changed his profession. I feel his character arc was significant from the somewhat unpredictable and untrustworthy person he was early in the series to a much more measured and sensible guy. Cameron was heading to another city. She's very good at tech work so we can assume she'd do well in whatever she does. Probably not a partner/owner of a company though, but should have a good career.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: KRonn on October 20, 2017, 09:38:29 AM
The business arc they went though reminded me of my cousins who ran a computer store for years, selling mainly to schools, colleges and businesses and did well until computers became more of a retail item. Once that happened they couldn't compete and shut down, went on to other things.

Heh, my first "real" job out of high school was in a Electronics Boutique, selling nothing but software.  You wanted to buy a computer, you did it by special order.  Worked part-time in a small family computer shop like your cousins, selling the early Apples and Ataris.

The day the first NES cartridge showed up, that retail model's days were numbered.

KRonn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 20, 2017, 04:46:36 PM
Quote from: KRonn on October 20, 2017, 09:38:29 AM

Heh, my first "real" job out of high school was in a Electronics Boutique, selling nothing but software.  You wanted to buy a computer, you did it by special order.  Worked part-time in a small family computer shop like your cousins, selling the early Apples and Ataris.

The day the first NES cartridge showed up, that retail model's days were numbered.

I never worked for my cousins though that would have also been good. I used to buy a new computer from my their store about every year, or whenever upgraded computer chips made it worthwhile to get a new computer which happened fast in those early days of PCs. I'd get a break on price but if I remember right their markup wasn't that much anyway. I think they made the most money on volume sales, peripheral systems and service. They did very well for a good while, until as I said computers became more of a commodity for big box stores.
I remember those were the early days of XT, 286, 386, 486 systems.