TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 20, 2017, 05:13:48 AM
Quote from: mongers on July 19, 2017, 07:18:33 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 19, 2017, 01:25:37 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 19, 2017, 01:23:53 PM
Oh are the French not in Dunkirk? That sucks.

Not very much according to the movie. There is one scene though, plus the end recap.

That's rather disappointing, so instead of re-examining some of the mythology around the evacuation, he's chosen the easy path of building upon it?

What's the big 'undiscovered' truth in the movie, that the RAF actually did a lot of fighting in the skies above beaches?

The movie has not such ambitions sorry.  :P An immersive and visceral look into the battle.

Well, to be fair make it two brief scenes with then French. [spoiler]There is something more but it is a major spoiler[/spoiler].
The Belgians are perhaps mentioned in a line at the end but that's all.

The RAF is indeed mentioned, [spoiler]no Hurricanes shown in the movie just alluded once[/spoiler]. This is not on the Battle of Britain movie scale though. Same kind of Bf 109s too. ;)
Well, without spoiling too much, the focus chosen by Nolan does not lend itself for an analysis on the geopolitical or geostrategical scale though characters allude to it a couple of times. Not much dialog, btw. This is not one of the best war movies EVAH but it is more than watchable on the big screen.

The British Dunkirk movie (1958) is broadcast tonight on TV, worth watching?

Duque, thanks for that review.

Bit late, but Do what the 1958 film, I think it was stood the test of time and doesn't glorify the participants much.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Are you in the Ed Anger club?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 21, 2017, 10:36:44 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on July 21, 2017, 06:05:58 PM
:lol: ok

Bright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXA87t0_3I0

I saw that, and the first thing I thought of was

https://youtu.be/d4aGxG-SBSE

I was wondering if it was going to have Dunkelzahn, the VITAS plague, and the Native American Nations.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

For anybody that watched TV in the DC area in the last 40 years, Channel 4's Jim Vance was always there until now.  Cancer, 75 years old.

Was around for so long, Willard Scott had hair.

crazy canuck

I highly recommend seeing Dunkirk on the big screen.  Its more about the experience than the story.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

CountDeMoney

You know, maybe you wouldn't have had to worry about shit from other dimensions if you listened to more Syncronicity and Purple Rain, and less of that bullshit Thriller.

Josquius

Midnight Special-   Strange  style, even beyond the sound track put me in mind of an 80s movie. Overall just too dark, it's a frequent problem I have with films, I can't think of one film set at night that  I enjoyed. Maybe Alien could sort of count?...Terminator...? But no...they're different. Its this poor lightning that annoys.
It tries to be two kinds of film at once, a mystery sci-fi, fantasy thing and a cool thriller, guys on the run from the law. They don't gel. Would have been better divided into two films, doing each part properly.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Spiderman: Homecoming

Best Spiderman movie so far.  Tried&true formula from Marvel (under license from Sony).  It works.  Predictable in many places, but it works damn well.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Drakken

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 22, 2017, 07:18:54 PM
I highly recommend seeing Dunkirk on the big screen.  Its more about the experience than the story.

I concur, it was a great IMAX experience, easily the best of 2017 so far.

However, I am not sure I am comfortable with Nolan's artistic choices. [spoiler]I felt like in a war "horror movie", with the unseen Germans acting like an invisible slasher villain. We never see the enemy, except in the air with the (few) Luftwaffe piecemeal attempts to attack the ships and the beachhead. Even at the end, the Germans are blurry and faceless. They also go out of the way to mention they are Germans the least possible. Water was more of a threat to the British than the Germans ever were, even on the beach, which feels very odd.[/spoiler]

Admiral Yi

Just watched about 2/3 of Hacksaw Ridge.  This is one of the weirdest movies I have seen in a long time.  It's stylized Christian pacifist propaganda.

New Spiderman plays a Seventh Day Adventist conscientious objector who enlists during WWII in the hopes of serving as a medic, over the objections of his father Agent Smith, who served in WWI and is haunted by his experience (which is the reason he beats his wife).

New Spiderman shows up at basic training and is greated by Vince Vaughn doing Trent from Swingers doing Gunnery Sargent Hartman.  He gets yelled at.  He gets punished with KP duty.  He gets beat up.  He gets court martialed.

Eventually he ends up on Okinawa, where he and the boys climb a rope net up a cliff.  Then John Woo explosions and gymnastics are combined with Saving Private Ryan chunks of meat and Guadalcanal Diary choreography.  After they blow up the bunker they charge the Japs and get into a big fist fight.  At the bar fight i said I can't watch this anymore.