Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on January 21, 2022, 04:30:22 AM
RIP Hardy Krüger, age 94. :(

(snip)

I had no idea that those characters were all played by the same actor.  The man had good innings to make it to 94.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

He had a fascinating life. Near the end of the war he was drafted into the SS aged 16. He refused to shoot at an American squad and was sentenced to death, but an officer intervened. He shortly after deserted and hid in Tyrol. The movie Hatari was shot on the estate he had bought in (then) Tanganyika where he lived for a bunch of years. He was working various charitable causes, did extensive traveling for travel documentaries and wrote/published a number of fiction and non-fiction books.

People here will probably also remember him from The Wild Geese where he played the racist South African.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

He probably played the most likeable SS officer ever.

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 21, 2022, 08:57:46 PM

Other than Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Josephus on January 22, 2022, 07:16:01 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 21, 2022, 08:57:46 PM

Other than Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS.

I woud not say likeable, but she had two great qualities.

RIP Hardy Krüger anyways. It's weird, I did not think he was that old, yet I was not sure he would be still alive.  :hmm:

Syt

Yeah, I had it wrong, he was 93, not 94 (his birthday is in April).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Titanic. Rich white woman unironically compares first class on the Titanic to being transported on a slave ship. As a final insult she [spoiler]tosses a multi-million dollar diamond into the sea instead of letting Christie's sell it and give the money to Save the Children[/spoiler]. They don't make movies like this anymore.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: The Brain on January 22, 2022, 03:41:40 PM
Titanic. Rich white woman unironically compares first class on the Titanic to being transported on a slave ship. As a final insult she [spoiler]tosses a multi-million dollar diamond into the sea instead of letting Christie's sell it and give the money to Save the Children[/spoiler]. They don't make movies like this anymore.
I loathed this movie.  Fuck it.
PDH!

grumbler

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 22, 2022, 08:21:20 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 22, 2022, 03:41:40 PM
I loathed this movie.  Fuck it.

Preach it, brother!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

The Peacemaker. It's dumb fun, sometimes very dumb. But fun. Cena is oddly likeable.

Gunn's continued effort to bring back 1980s music into fashion is endearing.

Eddie Teach

I think most of the songs on the Guardians playlist were from the 70s.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

I'm more than halfway through witcher series 2 and have to say I'm disappointed.
Series 1 was great. This feels very... Off. In comparison. What changed between the 2?
The performances feel hollow, which must be the direction. Everything is very clunky and old school pre game of thrones fantasy.
The many changes to the plot are going beyond the incelly "how dare they make triss black rather than a red head with her tits hanging out" into wholesale alterations of fundamental rules of the universe. So many of the changes are unnecessary.

Where I've always liked witcher is in being a small scale fantasy. So many fantasy series get wrapped up with dark lords rising after thousands of years to destroy the planet. In witcher its just a guy rolling into town and helping some peasants with a ogre problem. It has a much better feel. Sure there's bigger plots going on too but they're usually background stuff. Not concerning our characters.
I get the impression with series 2 of witcher is they've decided they don't want to wait around being low key and must rush forward to surpass witcher 3s final acts.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

'Munich - Edge of War*'

Meh, passable, though personally I could do without the kitchen sink elements and found two plot points near the end unbelievable. 

* whatever it's called.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!