News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Squid has reminded me how truly impoverished Korean is when it comes to cursing.  Ship pal and ke seki, that's all there is.

celedhring

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 02, 2021, 06:17:01 PM
La jungla de cristal? :yeahright:

Hey, it's a great title.

"Die Hard" is difficult to translate into Spanish without sounding ridiculous/awkward - they often make up a different title when that happens. The problem is that the new title doesn't really make sense for the sequels (the "crystal jungle" refers to the Nakatomi Plaza), but they couldn't know that at the time.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on December 03, 2021, 03:24:33 AM

Hey, it's a great title.

"Die Hard" is difficult to translate into Spanish without sounding ridiculous/awkward - they often make up a different title when that happens. The problem is that the new title doesn't really make sense for the sequels (the "crystal jungle" refers to the Nakatomi Plaza), but they couldn't know that at the time.

Also in the great tradition of Spanish distributors of the 80's and 90s changing the names of Hollywood blockbusters just because. Nowadays they'd have let the title untranslated.

I'll take this opportunity to link to this masterpiece of "lost in translation" movie posters.  :lol:

Syt

German distributors used to translate the titles, but these days they usually keep the original English one and add cringeworthy German tailings.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on December 03, 2021, 03:40:27 AM
Quote from: celedhring on December 03, 2021, 03:24:33 AM

Hey, it's a great title.

Also in the great tradition of Spanish distributors of the 80's and 90s changing the names of Hollywood blockbusters just because. Nowadays they'd have let the title untranslated.

I'll take this opportunity to link to this masterpiece of "lost in translation" movie posters.  :lol:

I think this is my favorite example:

https://twitter.com/davidpareja/status/1466605531045539845

Josquius

Its obviously from the book title rather than a modern movie title. But I really enjoyed that murder on the orient express in French was instead called incident on the orient express. Francophones hate spoilers.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Die Hard's french name is "Piège de Cristal"

Die Hard 2 is 58 minutes pour vivre
Die Hard 3 is where we start to get Quebec & France names.
Quebec is Marche ou Crève : Vengeance Définitive
France is Une journée en enfer
Die Hard 4 is Die Hard 4 : Retour en enfer(France) and Vis libre ou crève(Quebec)
Die Hard 5 is Die Hard : Belle journée pour mourir (France) and Une belle journée pour crever (Quebec)
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Latest trend in France is to give other English titles to English language movies.  :lol:

So the Hangover became Very Bad Trip.

Trends changed after Die Hard 3, the French titles are not commonly used, though some of it is linked to the last ones being simply lesser movies, much lesser for the last one.

In Portugal, I still remember O Exterminador Implácavel for the Terminator. I guess they just used O Exterminador for the Exterminator (le Droit de Tuer in France).

OTOH, Midnight Cowboy was renamed Macadam Cowboy, way back in the '60s. Bad idea.

The Brain

Die Hard is already in German.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

RIP Sir Antony Sher :(

His Richard III is one of my time-travel shows/productions - it was meant to be incredible with him leaping around on those crutches:
QuoteAntony Sher, celebrated actor on stage and screen, dies aged 72

Sher as Macbeth at the Swan Theatre, Stratford-upon-Avon in 1999. Photograph: Tristram Kenton/The Guardian
His vivid and moving performances, including an Olivier award-winning Richard III, made Sher one of the world's most respected theatre actors
Chris Wiegand
@ChrisWiegand
Fri 3 Dec 2021 12.54 GMT

Sir Antony Sher, one of British theatre's most acclaimed and respected stage actors, has died of cancer at the age of 72. His terminal illness was revealed in September, when the Royal Shakespeare company announced that its artistic director, Sher's husband, Gregory Doran, would be taking compassionate leave to care for him.

Sher's death was announced on Friday. Catherine Mallyon, RSC executive director and Erica Whyman, acting artistic director, said: "We are deeply saddened by this news and our thoughts and sincere condolences are with Greg, and with Antony's family and their friends at this devastating time. Antony had a long association with the RSC and a hugely celebrated career on stage and screen."

It is his vivid performances in productions over four decades with the RSC, many of them directed by Doran, which gained Sher his reputation as one of the great modern Shakespearean actors. In 1985 he won the Olivier award for a portrayal of Richard III on crutches, his image a striking realisation of the character's description in the play as a "bottled spider". For the same director, Bill Alexander, he played Shylock in The Merchant of Venice. Doran directed him as Macbeth, Othello, Falstaff and King Lear. In the last of these, performed between 2016 and 18, he was praised as "unbearably moving" by the Guardian's Michael Billington.

Olivier-winning 'bottled spider' ... Antony Sher as Richard III in 1985. Photograph: Donald Cooper/Alamy

Sher played another great Shakespearean, Edmund Kean, in Sartre's bio-drama Kean directed by Adrian Noble. But his range went well beyond the Bard. The 1985 Olivier award was given to him in honour of both his Richard III and his performance as a drag queen in Harvey Fierstein's Torch Song Trilogy, enabling him to say in his acceptance speech: "I'm very happy to be the first actor to win an award for playing both a king and a queen."

He was praised for his Cyrano de Bergerac and his Willy Loman in Death of a Salesman, both with Doran and the RSC. He excelled as both Tartuffe and that play's author, Molière (in a play by Bulgakov) in RSC shows. Lead roles as Brecht's Arturo Ui and Kafka's Joseph K came at the National Theatre. The real-life figures he portrayed included Freud in Terry Johnson's play Hysteria at the Theatre Royal Bath and Primo Levi, both at the National Theatre (in a play Sher wrote himself) and on screen too.

Sher was born in 1949 in Cape Town, where his grandparents had relocated from Lithuania. He revisited their journey in his novel Middlepost and returned to South Africa during his career with major theatre productions including The Tempest (playing Prospero), Titus Andronicus (in the title role) and Arthur Miller's Broken Glass, whose hero, said Sher, was as "uncomfortable in his own skin" as the actor himself.

He grew up fascinated by the performances of great Shakespearean actors – obsessively listening to an LP of Laurence Olivier's Othello – and his understanding of drama was transformed by the plays of Harold Pinter. He arrived in London in 1968, at the age of 19. "I looked around me and I didn't see any Jewish leading men in the classical theatre, so I thought it best to conceal my Jewishness," he once said. "Also, I quickly became conscious of apartheid when I arrived here, and I didn't want to be known as a white South African." He concealed his sexuality in public, too, which meant "my entire identity was in the closet".

Sher prepared one of Mick's speeches from Pinter's The Caretaker for his drama school tryouts but at his Rada audition "they urged me to seek a different career". He studied instead with the Webber Douglas Academy of Dramatic Art and gained early stage experience with the group Gay Sweatshop and at the Liverpool Everyman, playing Ringo in Willy Russell's John, Paul, George, Ringo ... and Bert.

While Sher's principal commitment was to the stage, he could be seen regularly on TV (including in the series The History Man) and in films. He wrote plays and novels, the memoir Beside Myself and autobiographical accounts of some of his best known performances, including as Richard III and Falstaff, which opened up the craft of acting. Year of the Mad King: The King Lear Diaries won the Theatre Book prize in 2019. It featured a number of his own illustrations and Sher remained a passionate painter. He was knighted in 2000 for his services to the arts.

Sher and Doran entered into civil partnership on the first possible day of the new law, 21 December 2005, which he called "a great day for human rights". The couple married in 2015.

His final roles on stage included that of a chilling torturer in Pinter's One for the Road, at the Pinter West End season, and in John Kani's play Kunene and the King, which premiered in the Swan theatre, Stratford-upon-Avon, in 2019, directed by Janice Honeyman. Its London run was curtailed by the first lockdown.

Sher's love for language was always palpable in his consummate performances. "To an actor, dialogue is like food," he wrote in Year of the Fat Knight, his book about Falstaff. "You hold it in your mouth, you taste it. If it's good dialogue the taste will be distinctive. If it's Shakespeare dialogue, the taste will be Michelin-starred. Falstaff's dialogue is immediately delicious: you're munching on a very rich pudding indeed, savoury rather than sweet, probably not good for your health, but irresistible."
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Would he not cause of a mini-scandal nowadays for playing a handi-abled person without being handi-abled himself? :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on December 03, 2021, 08:30:23 AM
Would he not cause of a mini-scandal nowadays for playing a handi-abled person without being handi-abled himself? :P
I imagine there's a really interesting critical debate around performing Richard III - both with disability and a, for want of a better word, "deformity" :hmm:

But his performance was at it says not playing Richard III as disabled. From the reviews and what people talk about the crutches were an extension of the performance - it was like, as it says, a spider trying to get out, crawling up the walls, prowling the stage, pouncing. Or like a furious beetle - it was a mix of Metamorphosis and Richard III. From everything I've read it's talked about as one of the great performances.

Separately I am seeing a little bit of pushback onlline - which seems fair - of his Lithuanian-Jewish family moving to South Africa as "relocating" :ph34r: As Adam Wagner put it they "relocated at great speed and with no luggage".

A nice tribute from the Guardian Theatre critic:
https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2021/dec/03/antony-sher-a-consummate-shakespearean-and-a-man-of-staggering-versatility

He's one of thosse like Mark Rylance or Simon Russell Beale who did film and TV, but it was more on the side and their most well-reviewed/important/best work was apparently on stage. Unlike them he did a couple of great TV performances but none of his film work stands out :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Elves (Nisser). Good holiday fun for the whole family.  :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Trailer for the new Spider-verse movie which makes me very happy:
https://twitter.com/SpiderVerse/status/1467294398283059201?s=20

The first one was a surprisingly fun film - so I'm looking forward and I loved the mix of animations styles which it looks like they're keeping :w00t:
Let's bomb Russia!