News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on October 26, 2021, 06:06:57 AM
Yeah, I think they'll just have Atreides battle Bautista's character instead.
I wasn't sure about the characters but had to look this up when I got home to check if Bautista and Sting had both played the same character :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Did he play the fat cousin character?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 26, 2021, 07:24:05 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 26, 2021, 06:06:57 AM
Yeah, I think they'll just have Atreides battle Bautista's character instead.
I wasn't sure about the characters but had to look this up when I got home to check if Bautista and Sting had both played the same character :lol:

Batista's character (Beast Rabban) is played by a weird ginger guy in the Lynch version.

Is that character and Feyd Rautha meant to be cousins? Brothers? They're both nephews of the Baron, in any case.

Josquius

For some reason I remembered it being Bowie in the Lynch version.
Sting is considerably less cool.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Sting was one of the best worst parts of the Lynch version.

Sheilbh

Yes - him emerging from a steam bath in eagle shaped underwear is a moment :lol:

It's the best worst parts that make me have a lot of time for the Lynch version. It fails, but it fails in really interesting ways.

Though I understand he was offered Dune or Return of the Jedi and I would love to see his take on Return of the Jedi.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 26, 2021, 07:53:47 AM
Yes - him emerging from a steam bath in eagle shaped underwear is a moment :lol:

With the weird shoulder shimmy.  :lol:

Syt

Does the new Dune movie at least have a Pug, like the Lynch movie? If not, what's the point? :(

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

The Lynch Dune is great. You just have to resist the urge to shout "-Jawohl, Herr Kaleun!" in the theater. Haters gonna hate.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

FunkMonk

In Dune 2021 the head witch nun mentioned to Jessica that they had other alternatives so I guess Feyd is included in that respect? So I imagine he will appear in Part Two to save Arakeen from the evil and doltish Beast as part of the Baron's plan.

I've never read the book, only seen the TV miniseries and of course the Lynchverse, so my memory is vague on the plot points.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

The plan (tm) was Paul was to be a girl and marry Feyd and then their kid would be superman.
Jessica loved the Duke so decided to have a boy instead, screwing up the plan.

I must say though. Feyd always seemed a bit undeveloped considering he should also have a large chunk of the potential to be god.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 26, 2021, 08:25:09 AM
In Dune 2021 the head witch nun mentioned to Jessica that they had other alternatives so I guess Feyd is included in that respect? So I imagine he will appear in Part Two to save Arakeen from the evil and doltish Beast as part of the Baron's plan.

I've never read the book, only seen the TV miniseries and of course the Lynchverse, so my memory is vague on the plot points.

Yeah, that's the Baron's plan in the book, IIRC. Beast would rule Arrakis first right after conquering it from the Atreides and make an ass of himself ruling with the heaviest hand and hammiest fist possible to then be replaced by Feyd Rautha, who would look like the most enlightened ruler possible in comparison.

Feyd Rautha was also an important part of the Bene Gesserit's plans, as he was meant to marry an Atreides princess and their offspring would have a pretty good chance to become the Kwisatz Haderach. Lady Jessica falling in love with Duke Leto threw a wrench to that plan, as instead of having a female daughter as instructed by the Bene Gesserit, she had Paul instead.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on October 26, 2021, 07:39:46 AM
For some reason I remembered it being Bowie in the Lynch version.
Sting is considerably less cool.
Incidentally this is right on all points - but it feels like such a weird film that it's suprising that early 80s Bowies isn't in it :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Why the hate on Gordon?   Sting is more believable as a dastardly knife fighter than Bowie.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 26, 2021, 10:08:02 AM
Why the hate on Gordon?   Sting is more believable as a dastardly knife fighter than Bowie.

I know which one I would prefer, Sting or Bowie.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.