And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 25, 2021, 03:28:53 PM
Quote from: The Larch on October 25, 2021, 01:00:25 PM
This weekend I watched Wes Anderson's latest, The French Dispatch. It's quite probably the most Wes Anderson that Wes Anderson has ever Wes Andersoned, with the Style - Substance slider pulled all the way to Style.

Now seriously, the film is a bit uneven, only logical due to it being constituted of three separate stories, but the atmosphere, production and soundtrack are wonderfully quaint throughout and all the actors are amazing in their roles.
Yeah - going to see it this week I think. Keen. I love Grand Budapest Hotel which felt very Wes Anderson even in the universe of things Wes Anderson.

We'll see - a little trepidatious.

I'll be doing it backwards. Next week going to see Jarvis Cocker who I suspect will heavily be doing soundtrack songs.
Probably won't see the film until it comes onto streaming.
As commented when I saw the trailer it does indeed look to be the most Wes Anderson thing ever!
I do find his films tend to be their best when they lean into the quirkiness.
Though I do wonder whether that still holds up after 20-odd years.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on October 25, 2021, 03:31:44 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 25, 2021, 03:28:53 PM
Quote from: The Larch on October 25, 2021, 01:00:25 PM
This weekend I watched Wes Anderson's latest, The French Dispatch. It's quite probably the most Wes Anderson that Wes Anderson has ever Wes Andersoned, with the Style - Substance slider pulled all the way to Style.

Now seriously, the film is a bit uneven, only logical due to it being constituted of three separate stories, but the atmosphere, production and soundtrack are wonderfully quaint throughout and all the actors are amazing in their roles.
Yeah - going to see it this week I think. Keen. I love Grand Budapest Hotel which felt very Wes Anderson even in the universe of things Wes Anderson.

We'll see - a little trepidatious.

I'll be doing it backwards. Next week going to see Jarvis Cocker who I suspect will heavily be doing soundtrack songs.
Probably won't see the film until it comes onto streaming.
As commented when I saw the trailer it does indeed look to be the most Wes Anderson thing ever!
I do find his films tend to be their best when they lean into the quirkiness.
Though I do wonder whether that still holds up after 20-odd years.

That was a happy surprise, I had no idea that Jarvis Cocker did covers of French songs of the 60s for the soundtrack (his accent could do with some work, though), so when the fim's main song (a cover of Cristophe's 1965 massive hit Aline) came out I was quite amazed.  :lol: The video is a great credits sequence for the film, which sadly was not actually employed in the film itself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJGMmXdyhoA

More observations about the film, seeing how the setting was pictured and how the action unfolded I started thinking "this is like a Tintin story come to life, Wes Anderson could perfectly direct a live action Tintin movie and make it look fine". And then towards the end of the movie... [spoiler]there's an actual animation sequence basically pulled off a Bande Desinee[/spoiler]. I afterwards learned that the film was actually shot in Angouleme, which I think is not a coincidence.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on October 25, 2021, 03:58:01 PM
That was a happy surprise, I had no idea that Jarvis Cocker did covers of French songs of the 60s for the soundtrack (his accent could do with some work, though), so when the fim's main song (a cover of Cristophe's 1965 massive hit Aline) came out I was quite amazed.  :lol: The video is a great credits sequence for the film, which sadly was not actually employed in the film itself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJGMmXdyhoA
I'm fairly sure his ex-wife is French and they mainly lived in France - and I think he still lives in Paris. I always feel like it very much suits his vibe :lol:

Edit: Incidentally I wish Wes Anderson would make a (non-racist) Tintin movie because the one we got was a disaster :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 25, 2021, 04:02:34 PM
Quote from: The Larch on October 25, 2021, 03:58:01 PM
I'm fairly sure his ex-wife is French and they mainly lived in France - and I think he still lives in Paris. I always feel like it very much suits his vibe :lol:

Ah, I didn't know he had that link to France, makes plenty of sense then. He could still improve his accent, though.  :P

QuoteEdit: Incidentally I wish Wes Anderson would make a (non-racist) Tintin movie because the one we got was a disaster :bleeding:

I remember the Spielberg one as way too busy (Tintin stories are not thrill-a-minute adventures!) and into the uncanny valley, but I don't recall anything blatantly racist about it.  :hmm:

Sheilbh

The racism's more of a background risk with Tintin :P

Spielberg's one wasn't racist.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 25, 2021, 05:08:16 PM

Ah, ok, the way you worded it it seemed that the Spielberg one had something racist on it. I agree that there's a certain level of risk, but it can be easily avoided by picking a title that doesn't go to an exotic locale. Syldavia at most, it'd actually be a nice Wes Andersony setting, actually. They could do the one in which they go to the moon.

Eddie Teach

You've got to be careful not to offend the Moonies though. A lot of them have assault rifles.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

One of my favorite scenes in Dune the book was the gladiator fight between Feyd-Rautha and the not really drugged Atreides grunt.  Did they do that well this time?

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 25, 2021, 10:00:31 PM
One of my favorite scenes in Dune the book was the gladiator fight between Feyd-Rautha and the not really drugged Atreides grunt.  Did they do that well this time?

Feyd-Rautha didn't appear in the film.

The Brain

There seems to be a lot of Dune that was left out.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 25, 2021, 05:08:16 PM

Reminding people of how the oriental slave trade was still alive in the '1950s in Red Sea Sharks was indeed very racist.  :lol:
See?  :P

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on October 26, 2021, 04:36:03 AM

Yeah, I think they'll just have Atreides battle Bautista's character instead.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on October 26, 2021, 06:06:57 AM
Quote from: The Larch on October 26, 2021, 04:36:03 AM

Yeah, I think they'll just have Atreides battle Bautista's character instead.

You mean for the sequel? I don't think Feyd-Rautha is a character that can be omitted that easily.

celedhring

I think that if Rautha wasn't in the first movie, they are not going to introduce him in the next.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on October 26, 2021, 06:15:47 AM
I think that if Rautha wasn't in the first movie, they are not going to introduce him in the next.

I guess he should have been in the first movie already, but IIRC he's more important towards the end of the Dune story, so I don't see why he can't be introduced in the sequel. To fuse his characted with that of Batista (IIRC they are both nephews to the Baron) would be a bit weird, since they are meant to represent the two different approaches to violence that the Harkonnen's employ, outright brutality and more subtle sadism. Besides, Feyd-Rautha is also important in case the Bene Gesserit want to be highlighted, since he was meant to be one of their main pawns in their eugenics program. How relevant this is for Villeneuve, I don't know.