News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on October 25, 2021, 06:49:23 AM
In the book, Harkonnen declared "kenly" (or something like that) to legitimize war between houses.

Right, it's  feudalism in space -  conflict between houses is not particularly restricted as long as the proper forms are observed and the interests of the major powers (Emperor/Guild/"Church") are not threatened.  There is a reason why noble families have "masters of assassins" as retainers. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on October 23, 2021, 01:47:51 AM
Quote from: The Larch on October 22, 2021, 09:37:49 PM
Well, I was not expecting the ending of the last What we do in the Shadows episode...

Yeah, that was surprising. Fun episode though. I find these eps where they bring in some guest vampire characters are usually the best, they have a knack for creating those. Plus I loved how they brought together a lot of very subtle foreshadowing they have been doing throughout the season.

Also, I looked at imdb and [spoiler]Mark Proksch is credited as appearing in the next episode (and season finale). Could be a flashback kind of thing though.
[/spoiler]

Well, it has certainly made me so much more interested in this week's finale...

[spoiler]I saw the IMDB thing quoted in an article, but it might be just a voiceover or something. Although with the episode being named "The picture" I wonder if he might end up with his spirit captured in a painting or photography or something and still chip in in future seasons like Nadja's doll.[/spoiler]

As for the episode itself, I personally didn't find the guest vampires as fun as in the 1st season's council episode, they were merely a background for the main character's drama, which has taken the central spot of the show lately.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on October 25, 2021, 08:08:08 AM
Dune is all about the intersection of politics and mysticism . . .

Well there's a lot going on - there's the theme of how human society interacts with ecology; there's the theme of the power of belief and how it can result in unexpected consequences; there's a bildingsroman around Paul.  As s filmmaker you have to choose your focus.  Dune Messiah is more about political intrigue than Dune, where the intrigue is there but mostly to set up the main action.  You can argue that focusing on those politics would be like telling the story of the rise of Islam through the lens of the political dynamics of the 7th century Byzantine Empire.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

I summed it up in February, in a review of Lynch's attempt. There is no great mystery what Dune is about.

QuoteShaddam rules the desert planet Arrakis, home to the oil, Melange. The civilized superpower sends troops and the natives instinctively give them their wholehearted support, hailing the son of the first civilized leader as a Messiah. The son, Paul W Atreides, having grown up guided by his loyal servants Guernsey, Dr Huey Lewis, an old Mentos, and a hot mom, easily dominates a field of mystic knowledge where previously silly women have failed to make any headway. W finally establishes a new world order by the power of his awesomeness, a far cry from the carefree youth who enjoyed dressing up as a waiter and fighting appliances. But the movie is not just a neo-con male fantasy, it is also a film version of the old Sci-Fi novel Dune.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

Only Murders in the BUilding had been great. I recommend it. 

I now have no interest in Dune, not if it isn't the complete story and they didn't have a plan to deal with the rest of it in a sequel. It'd b IT all over again.

I am looking forward to Ghostbusters though.

As leadup to Halloween we've been watching the old greats, like You can't Do That On Television, Boo!, Charlie Brown's Great Pumpkin, and the garfield Halloween special. 
PDH!

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 23, 2021, 11:05:18 AM
Watching Apocalypse Now Redux on Netflix, and the mango picking scene really reminds me of Avatar.  I wonder if that was conscious.
I don't think Coppola had Avatar in mind when he shot that scene.  Probably a coincidence.   :sleep:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on October 25, 2021, 02:02:19 AM
Black Widow- Weird film. Why make this now? It might have worked better had it been made and released at the proper time.
Because a few female-led action movies bombed at the theater around that time.
Disney is many thing, but not a risk taker.  If another studio has done something that didn't work, Disney isn't gonna try it until they are 110% sure they can bring back the format to success.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

FunkMonk

Went with a friend to watch Dune. He had no previous experience of the book, 80s movie, or the TV miniseries. He usually gets lost in convoluted movie plots.

He really loved the movie and couldn't stop talking about it afterward. I think Villeneuve hit a good spot between well-paced, intelligent filmmaking and OMGEXPLOSIONS WOW.

I really enjoyed it too and look forward to watching it again with my wife on HBO later this week.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Larch

Even my mom watched Dune out of her own free will and enjoyed it, so Villeneuve must have done something right.  :P

The Larch

This weekend I watched Wes Anderson's latest, The French Dispatch. It's quite probably the most Wes Anderson that Wes Anderson has ever Wes Andersoned, with the Style - Substance slider pulled all the way to Style.

Now seriously, the film is a bit uneven, only logical due to it being constituted of three separate stories, but the atmosphere, production and soundtrack are wonderfully quaint throughout and all the actors are amazing in their roles.

garbon

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 25, 2021, 10:59:13 AM
Only Murders in the BUilding had been great. I recommend it. 

I now have no interest in Dune, not if it isn't the complete story and they didn't have a plan to deal with the rest of it in a sequel. It'd b IT all over again.

I am looking forward to Ghostbusters though.

As leadup to Halloween we've been watching the old greats, like You can't Do That On Television, Boo!, Charlie Brown's Great Pumpkin, and the garfield Halloween special. 

I'm also enjoying Only Murderers in the Building.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Unfaithful. Bored MILF finds excitement in Gallic charmer. Very good.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 25, 2021, 08:09:20 AM
Right, it's  feudalism in space -  conflict between houses is not particularly restricted as long as the proper forms are observed and the interests of the major powers (Emperor/Guild/"Church") are not threatened.  There is a reason why noble families have "masters of assassins" as retainers.
Although politics goes beyond the feudal house thing, I think it's very good on the colonial aspects of it, which is certainly political. And is pretty good at the politics of the mysticism (myths being planted).

I think he handles the politics pretty well - it's broadly show don't tell with limited exposition which maybe doesn't capture everything but I think gives enough.

Just went to see The Velvet Underground which I enjoyed - I like the band. I particularly like how tightly focused it is on the band and basically the director (Todd Haynes) clearly hates the last album because it gets about five minutes, then Lou Reed and the film is over. I think the lazy but maybe more common approach would be the band as part of step in Lou Reed's artistic development. It doesn't even just get caught up in Cale-Reed but has a good amount of Maureen Tucker and Sterling Morrison.

It's the first film I've seen from or about this time that seems at all sympathetic to Warhol. Still cynical and vain and selfish and commercial and a vampire - but maybe more of a genius because of it. Similarly I think it portrays Nico very sympathetically and not just as a femme fatale.

It's very good and Todd Haynes is the perfect person to do a Velvet Underground documentary and I'm really glad he did.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on October 25, 2021, 01:00:25 PM
This weekend I watched Wes Anderson's latest, The French Dispatch. It's quite probably the most Wes Anderson that Wes Anderson has ever Wes Andersoned, with the Style - Substance slider pulled all the way to Style.

Now seriously, the film is a bit uneven, only logical due to it being constituted of three separate stories, but the atmosphere, production and soundtrack are wonderfully quaint throughout and all the actors are amazing in their roles.
Yeah - going to see it this week I think. Keen. I love Grand Budapest Hotel which felt very Wes Anderson even in the universe of things Wes Anderson.

We'll see - a little trepidatious.
Let's bomb Russia!

Savonarola

Vertigo (1958)

This time I learned that Hitchcock (along with Edith Head) made Kim Novak's wardrobe look unnerving.  The iconic grey suit is an unusual choice for a blonde woman and the black scarf stands out on her white coat.  The score, the lighting, the weirdly deserted San Francisco, the montage of Jimmy Stewart driving and even the clothes make for an unsettling film; (which matches Stewart's state of mind.)

The dream sequence was a little too much Hitchcock, but otherwise this is great, one o his best.  I've seen this in the theater a few times, this is the first time the Barbara Bel Geddes portrait scene didn't get a laugh.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock