And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on October 19, 2021, 11:42:10 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 19, 2021, 07:26:51 AM
We have spent way too much energy on a couple trailers...

You have better things to do? Good for you! :cheers:

:blush:
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

Arguing about trailers is wholesome geekness. Feel no shame.

HVC

speaking of trailers one is unsure of, anyone see the new batman? I can't decide if i like it. to stay with the theme the last few pages, the movie is dark and i guess that's officially batmans voice now. Colin Farrell's make up is really good, but his Di Nero impression is not.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Quote from: HVC on October 19, 2021, 12:16:33 PM
speaking of trailers one is unsure of, anyone see the new batman? I can't decide if i like it. to stay with the theme the last few pages, the movie is dark and i guess that's officially batmans voice now. Colin Farrell's make up is really good, but his Di Nero impression is not.

I'm a huge Bats fan and I felt totally disinterested throughout. I think it's might be just Batman fatigue though, there's been just way too many movies featuring him in the past 15 years. And it looks like he'll be in The Flash movie now, too...

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on October 19, 2021, 12:28:53 PM

I'm a huge Bats fan and I felt totally disinterested throughout. I think it's might be just Batman fatigue though, there's been just way too many movies featuring him in the past 15 years. And it looks like he'll be in The Flash movie now, too...

Yeah, Batman has featured in 4 movies since the end of the Nolan trilogy (Batman vs Superman, the Justice League one, two if you count the Snyder cut as a separate film, and the cameo in Suicide Squad, and that's without counting the Joker standalone film in which a pre-Batman Bruce Wayne also features) with a further 2 announced (this one and the Flash one, as you say). That's way too much, the character should take a 5-10 year break or so.

Sheilbh

:lol:

I like the look of it but I quite like Robert Pattinson and think he'll be good. I've also more or less ignored the Affleck/Snyder films because life's too short (I've never liked a Snyder film) - so I'm just about ready for a new Batman film.

And I suspect I'm not alone. I think there might be a fair few casual viewers who liked the Nolan films but swerved the ones in between given they were generally poorly reviewed and will come back if this gets decent reviews.
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: Threviel on October 18, 2021, 01:09:53 PM
So yeah, it's a movie, have some candles and even some torches lit outside of in daytime, sets some mood and so on. But don't light up a village inn like it's Disneyland, it ruins my mood and very much breaks my immersio at least.

Well, look at it this way.  In LOTR, the only character you need to be introduced to is Aragorn.  The Hobbits, you saw them in full daylight.  You can concentrate on giving lights to Aragon only, once he steps out of the shadows to be noticed.  The others?  We don't care.  We don't need to see details on the crowd.

Here, presumably, you get to see most of the party that will travel the world to have adventures.  What's the alternative?  Have it set during a sunny day.  But you lose the impact of the arrival of a shadowy stranger in a dark night at a crowded inn where everyone seems to know everyone.  Imho, the scene would not have worked well in full daylight, as strangers & mysterious wanderers are always less scary during the day than at night. ;)

I did not really notice anything wrong about the costumes, but I ain't an expert of these books, so I'll pass. 
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on October 18, 2021, 04:41:40 PM
They don't use historical, natural lighting in shows or movies set in todays time.
Last of the Mohican did.  That's why you can barely see some people until they step forward toward a light source.

I will pass on trying to watch a show using historical, natural lighting set in medieval times where there is an insistence that it actually be lit naturally. You might as well just listen to an audiobook in that case.
But I agree with you.  For a tv show where you introduce a lot of characters, it's a major inconvenient.  Some realism has to be sacrificed, sometimes.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on October 18, 2021, 04:56:18 PM
Could someone film the same scene lit in a way that seemed "realistic" without being completely dark? Probably... though I"m not a lighting director, so I can't say for sure.
You would need an artificial light source outside of the field of vision of the cameras.  Then people would complain it's way too bright for the number of candles they have on the screen. ;)

viper37

The Larch

I admit I was skeptic at first, but if Netfilx's Cowboy Bebop show is going to be like this then I think it'll be great fun.  :ph34r:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JDWm1f6-M0

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on October 18, 2021, 06:13:46 PM
Everybody has their own standards on that kind of thing. 

I used to have mine but eventually one tires of shouting "Objection - Sustained" every time a TV lawyer asks an improper question (i.e most of them).
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

I have yet to tire of saying "the defense breasts" at the TV.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 19, 2021, 03:09:59 PM

I used to have mine but eventually one tires of shouting "Objection - Sustained" every time a TV lawyer asks an improper question (i.e most of them).
UK lawyers get very annoyed at people shouting "objection" or judges having gavels in UK legal dramas, because we've just stolen it from US TV :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 19, 2021, 03:15:41 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 19, 2021, 03:09:59 PM

UK lawyers get very annoyed at people shouting "objection" or judges having gavels in UK legal dramas, because we've just stolen it from US TV :lol:

Yeah, watching Canadian shows where counsel carry on like lawyers on US TV is a bit off putting.  And would probably get a lawyer in a bit of trouble in reality.  Here we rise if we wish to make an objection and wait for the Judge to indicate that they wish hear what we wish to say.  Normally it goes something like : CC stands up - and thankfully that it rather noticeable; then the judge says Mr. CC do you have an objection?