News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

These days it's more likely "To Be Discontinued...". Am I right?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I had a look where Star Trek Prodigy would be broadcast in Europe. It appears it will be handled by Sky? This is getting silly. We have:
- Netflix (all shows from TOS to Enterprise, plus Discovery)
- Amazon (Lower Decks)
and now Sky?

Sky's online sub is available for EUR 19.99/month for their "fiction & sports" package (which is their sports stuff, plus the normal cable channels you would get, plus their movies and series channels, plus some on demand content IIRC) for 5 years through my supermarket loyalty program (as opposed to 39.99) but it's getting a bit much, as I already have Disney, Netflix, and Amazon.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on October 15, 2021, 05:48:25 AM
The last episode of Lower Decks was awesome. Some really got stuff and we finally get to see [spoiler]the teased Ceteacean Ops (which was originally supposed to be part of TNG). :o :wub:  Those belugas were a bit horny, for Rutherford, though. :lol:[/spoiler]

That was a really satisfying season ender.

Other than the bit Syt mentioned, it was happily pretty light on the fan service type references, and just told a good story.  We see character growth from all of our characters, it tells a good action story, and yes it ends on a cliffhanger.

There was one reference that flew miles above my head: the Captain of the Archimedes, Captain Gomez, was actually a bit character from the TNG Season 2 Episode Q, Who.  The then Ensign Gomez was nervous and spilled hot chocolate on Captain Picard (which explains her comment about embarrassing herself in front of "more intimidating captains".  And you know of course they brought back the same actress to voie the part.

My boys really got into this show, so I'm excited that Star Trek Prodigy is coming out in just a couple of weeks.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on October 15, 2021, 11:44:15 AMThere was one reference that flew miles above my head: the Captain of the Archimedes, Captain Gomez, was actually a bit character from the TNG Season 2 Episode Q, Who.  The then Ensign Gomez was nervous and spilled hot chocolate on Captain Picard (which explains her comment about embarrassing herself in front of "more intimidating captains".  And you know of course they brought back the same actress to voie the part.

I missed that, too and didn't realize it till I watched the Trekculture video about the episode. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on October 15, 2021, 11:52:32 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 15, 2021, 11:44:15 AMThere was one reference that flew miles above my head: the Captain of the Archimedes, Captain Gomez, was actually a bit character from the TNG Season 2 Episode Q, Who.  The then Ensign Gomez was nervous and spilled hot chocolate on Captain Picard (which explains her comment about embarrassing herself in front of "more intimidating captains".  And you know of course they brought back the same actress to voie the part.

I missed that, too and didn't realize it till I watched the Trekculture video about the episode. :D

Same - down to the same Trekculture video. :lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

House (Hausu) 1977

A trippy Japanese take on an Old Dark House movie.  Seven nubile Japanese maidens (named Gorgeous, Mac, Prof, Sweet, Fanta, Kung Fu, and Melody) visit Gorgeous's aunt in the countryside.  Some of the girls disappear; have they simply stepped out to enjoy the Japanese countryside, or is there something more sinister in the works?

The director's ten year old daughter said that horror films were stupid because grown ups thought they had to make sense.  He took her advice on how the girls die and they are one of a kind - for instance one girl is eaten by a mirror.  What makes the film even better is that the sets sort of look like "Yellow Submarine" come to life.

This is a slasher movie; and while it's setup is different from an American one (no token minority, no horny couple who sneaks off to have sex) you can figure out the order that some of the girls will die in.  The fat girl has to die first (I think that's one of the bylaws of the writer's guild); the pretty girl has to either survive or die last (she sort of does both); the smart girl has to be among the last to die so she can explain to the audience what has happened; the fraidy-cat has to outlive the smart girl so that she can be vindicated.  The other three characters (warrior princes, musical prodigy and :huh: Martha Stewart?) order of death seems more random to me, but probably make sense to the Japanese.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Sheilbh

Mark Kermode was quite keen on the new Venom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aAB-WiQ454

Although it is certified 15 here so he doesn't really touch on how young/appropriateness.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Lower Decks mentioned a Rubber Ducky room. Turns out it's a reference to a small joke in tech manuals. :D

—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Quote from: Josephus on October 14, 2021, 05:00:58 PM

A niece was over on Monday for Thanksgiving (Canadian). We were out in the backyard and she wanted to play a game. What game is that? I asked. She said Green Light Red Light. "You spin around and say Green Light and then when you say Red Light I have to stop moving. If you see me move, you shoot me in the head."

Well. She knows the rules.
Parents have any explanation?
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

I'm getting pretty weary of Squid Game memes and parodies. It's the new Among Us.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Threviel

Watched the teaser trailer for Wheel of Time. Felt like Xena with CGI and a higher budget and makes me fear the LotR-series since both are Prime.  :cry:

celedhring

Quote from: Threviel on October 17, 2021, 09:10:47 AM
Watched the teaser trailer for Wheel of Time. Felt like Xena with CGI and a higher budget and makes me fear the LotR-series since both are Prime.  :cry:

The budget for LOTR is much, much bigger, and the behind-the-camera team has some pretty reputable names. It can still suck, but I think there's a higher floor.

Threviel

Syt

Quote from: Threviel on October 17, 2021, 09:10:47 AM

Still not sure how you make a full TV show about a Blind Guardian song but ok.
—Stephen Jay Gould