TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 21, 2021, 01:04:48 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 21, 2021, 08:16:09 AM
Quote from: Threviel on April 21, 2021, 07:57:12 AM
Last? Why?

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2559237/the-expanse-is-ending-at-amazon-but-there-is-good-news

won't that end the series without the final installment of the book series having been released?Or will it more or less coincide with the november release of final?

I'm not that far in the book series, but apparently the show will not cover all the story in the books. The authors (which are also writers in the show) claim that it will end in a place that "feels natural", fwiw.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on April 21, 2021, 02:48:02 PM
https://www.netflix.com/title/80236319?g=3CF9CB90EE655BF6D33E316B5CA40E3F6455A59C&lkid=PRIMARY_TRAILER_CTA&lnktrk=EMP&trkid=13710079&MSG_TITLE=81263677&extra=81263677

Shadow and Bone?

Anyone know anything about this? The trailer looks interesting anyway....

It's from a Young Adult book series, so don't expect complexity.  Yes, His Dark Materials was YA and complex, but that's the exception, not the rule.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

So I've not read the books I planned to in lockdowns. But have watched or re-watched a lot of the Golden Age of TV.

They all hold up as I remember or are very good. Latest was just watching Mad Men for the first time which I thought was really good.

Edit: Meanwhile in British TV:
QuoteScott Bryan
@scottygb
ITV2 have announced a show called Apocalypse Wow, a gameshow where celebrities compete against Superhuman 'bosses.'

One of the bosses is Hot Slippy Jesus (the UK's number one gravy wrestler).

From the press release :hmm: :blink:
Quote"Every episode a Clan of five celebrities enter the dome to take on The Mistress's terrifying Superhuman 'Bosses' such as Master Enormo (one of the world's strongest men), The Horn Hunter (a back-flipping parkour master), Hot Slippy Jesus (the UK's no.1 gravy wrestler), The Mermaid (a mermaid) and more.

"The Clan must unite in a bid to defeat these extraordinary opponents taking them on in a series of ludicrous and entertaining physical challenges. Alone the celebrities would be demolished, but together they stand the chance of overcoming a series of crazed contenders to win the day and take home a load of cash for charity.

"Each episode the weakest celebrity must be banished in a hilariously unique way and a new famous face will enter the Torture Dome to join the Clan."
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Bruce Willis's new film on netflix, 'Anti-Life' is truly astonishing.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 21, 2021, 06:51:04 PM
QuoteMaster Enormo (one of the world's strongest men), The Horn Hunter (a back-flipping parkour master), Hot Slippy Jesus (the UK's no.1 gravy wrestler), The Mermaid (a mermaid) and more.
:lol:

Maladict

So I've not read the books I planned to in lockdowns. But have watched or re-watched a lot of the Golden Age of TV.

They all hold up as I remember or are very good. Latest was just watching Mad Men for the first time which I thought was really good.

Edit: Meanwhile in British TV:
QuoteScott Bryan
@scottygb
ITV2 have announced a show called Apocalypse Wow, a gameshow where celebrities compete against Superhuman 'bosses.'

One of the bosses is Hot Slippy Jesus (the UK's number one gravy wrestler).

Quote"Every episode a Clan of five celebrities enter the dome to take on The Mistress's terrifying Superhuman 'Bosses' such as Master Enormo (one of the world's strongest men), The Horn Hunter (a back-flipping parkour master), Hot Slippy Jesus (the UK's no.1 gravy wrestler), The Mermaid (a mermaid) and more.

"The Clan must unite in a bid to defeat these extraordinary opponents taking them on in a series of ludicrous and entertaining physical challenges. Alone the celebrities would be demolished, but together they stand the chance of overcoming a series of crazed contenders to win the day and take home a load of cash for charity.

"Each episode the weakest celebrity must be banished in a hilariously unique way and a new famous face will enter the Torture Dome to join the Clan."

Predictably, the "celebrities" seem to be washed up has-beens from reality shows.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on April 22, 2021, 02:19:55 AM
QuoteMaster Enormo (one of the world's strongest men), The Horn Hunter (a back-flipping parkour master), Hot Slippy Jesus (the UK's no.1 gravy wrestler), The Mermaid (a mermaid) and more.
:lol:
I loved that :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Sometimes The Onion goes too far, like this.  Their better work makes you think for a moment that it could be real.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on April 21, 2021, 07:52:35 AM
So, I finally got up to speed with The Expanse.

The show is as impressive as ever... but this season felt kinda small potatotes? Mostly because after a season where there's alien gates that lead to planets full of mysterious alien shit, this one is all centered on "mundane" stuff. Plus I really didn't care for Inaros as the main antagonist. Still, really looking forward to the sixth - and sadly last - season.
I'm at the last episode right now.  All the stuff with Naomi was boring, sadly.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Agreed. Though it was a step up after the series before on the planet where the show really lost its way stretching out a thin few episodes long story to fill a series.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Godzilla vs Kong. If you want to see CGI monsters knocking each other into CGI skyscrapers, this delivers. Try to ignore the extraneous humans.

[spoiler]Rock, paper, scissors.[/spoiler]
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on April 22, 2021, 05:47:15 PM
Agreed. Though it was a step up after the series before on the planet where the show really lost its way stretching out a thin few episodes long story to fill a series.

Yeah, I understand that the underlying theme of the show is that the danger to humanity is not the protomolecule/aliens more than humans themselves, but the colony conflict last season and the Inaros war in this one haven't felt that interesting.

Eddie Teach

I thought the mass destruction on earth was pretty engaging, though I'll agree Inaros is an uninspired villain.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on April 21, 2021, 08:35:56 PM
Bruce Willis's new film on netflix, 'Anti-Life' is truly astonishing.

In a good or bad way?  :P