News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 24, 2020, 04:01:16 AM
The Crown isn't a miniseries. It's a series.

But UK TV series/seasons are shorter than US ones, anyways, right?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

Louis is a good German name  :cool:

Nice pic of Ludwig Battenberg btw  :P

celedhring

Another quirk of UK programming is the "TV movie series" (I made the name up), which is having a series where the episodes are feature-length instead of 50-60 minutes. Sherlock comes to mind.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on November 24, 2020, 04:08:22 AM
Another quirk of UK programming is the "TV movie series" (I made the name up), which is having a series where the episodes are feature-length instead of 50-60 minutes. Sherlock comes to mind.

But then it's 3x 90 instead of 6x45, so runtime remains within normal parameters for UK formats?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Or longer - I swear the early Prime Suspects (each series = 2 episodes) were 1.5 hours long.

Again, those shows are normally on in the winter break over a bank holiday - so 9pm on Saturday, Sunday, Monday.

QuoteBut UK TV series/seasons are shorter than US ones, anyways, right?
Yeah - except for soap operas (or soap opera style procedurals like Casualty, The Bill etc).

The longest proper shows are probably something like Dr Who which is about 10-12 episodes a run.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on November 24, 2020, 04:15:59 AM
But then it's 3x 90 instead of 6x45, so runtime remains within normal parameters for UK formats?
45 minutes = commercial TV with adverts. 50-60 minutes = BBC so no adverts.

Normally.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on November 24, 2020, 04:15:59 AM

Yeah, but the narrative within each episode is much more expansive. I love them.

Again, I also like stuff like Mandalorian season 1 cramming so much stuff (and doing it well) in 35 minute episodes.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring link=topic=4507.msg1279066#msg1279066 date=1606209729
Again, I also like stuff like Mandalorian season 1 cramming so much stuff (and doing it well) in 35 minute episodes.
/quote]

Well they vary a lot in length. I'm never quite sure how long I'll be sitting down for when I got to watch an episode.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on November 24, 2020, 04:22:09 AM
Yeah here 30 minute episodes are the preserve of sitcoms and soaps. But I really think there's a missed opportunity to do something interesting with that.

The best is there was a recent adaptation of Bleak House which was done in 30 minute episodes (15 of them!) which was really, really good. And I think the producers actually said they wanted that format because it's long and complicated, but it was originally serialised in quite small bitesize pieces with natural narrative breaks. I hoped it would lead to a few more shows like that or a bit more experimentation but it didn't :(
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on November 24, 2020, 04:28:02 AM

Well they vary a lot in length. I'm never quite sure how long I'll be sitting down for when I got to watch an episode.

They are doing more long episodes in season 2 (I guess they have a bit more budget) but I just did the math and season 1 averages to 37.5 minutes per episode, including credits.

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 24, 2020, 04:34:49 AM
Yeah here 30 minute episodes are the preserve of sitcoms and soaps. But I really think there's a missed opportunity to do something interesting with that.

The best is there was a recent adaptation of Bleak House which was done in 30 minute episodes (15 of them!) which was really, really good. And I think the producers actually said they wanted that format because it's long and complicated, but it was originally serialised in quite small bitesize pieces with natural narrative breaks. I hoped it would lead to a few more shows like that or a bit more experimentation but it didn't :(

Netflix is asking for more 30-minute shows, and i.e. the next show from the Money Heist dudes is a thriller in that format. I think we'll see more of them in the coming years.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on November 24, 2020, 03:56:12 AM
This was different from my understanding.

What is your understanding?

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 24, 2020, 05:06:24 AM
Quote from: The Brain on November 24, 2020, 03:56:12 AM
This was different from my understanding.

What is your understanding?

My understanding was that a miniseries was a one short season affair.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

The Queen's gambit is a weird limited series in the parlance of Netflix. They seems to have changed what they meant.

Before QG, a limited series on Netflix meant a regular series that was cancelled after either a couple of episodes or one full run. Around here, it's the international series bought from european services.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

'Greyhound' - Tom Hanks in an episode of the Battle of the Atlantic, worth a viewing.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"