News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

The Bowie biopic trailer looks awful. And I cannot comprehend who thought it could work at all to do a Bowie biopic without a right to use any Bowie songs :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

frunk

Quote from: celedhring on October 29, 2020, 07:27:07 AM

And the Mad Max episode in season 3. Which is not a paintball episode but it's their spiritual heir.

Mad Max was S5.  I suppose the paintballesque episode of S3 would be the Civil War doc or maybe the L&O parody.  The S4 paintball episode was only tolerable.

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 29, 2020, 10:57:51 PM
The Bowie biopic trailer looks awful. And I cannot comprehend who thought it could work at all to do a Bowie biopic without a right to use any Bowie songs :blink:

Which artist's work did they get to stand in for Bowie's? Gary Glitter should have been pretty cheap I think.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

It worked for Velvet Goldmine!

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on October 30, 2020, 02:01:52 AM

That was such a great movie :wub:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on October 30, 2020, 02:01:52 AM

:lol:

But that worked that out deliberately and they got Roxy Music instead - great film :wub:

QuoteWhich artist's work did they get to stand in for Bowie's? Gary Glitter should have been pretty cheap I think.
:lol:

They've just gone for generic film score. It's very weird based on the trailer.

On Glitter - how well known is his story in the US because I couldn't tell if the use of his music in Joker was deliberate or unknowing.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Velvet Goldmine and I'm Not There are my favorite musician "biopics" on account of them not being really biopics, so Todd Haynes can explore themes that tie up perfectly with Bowie's and Dylan's bodies of work, yet they are not faithful to real events.

Plus Velvet Goldmine is *gorgeous*

celedhring

My other absolutely favorite music biopic is 24 Hour Party People. Again a fantastically inventive and entertaining film. It also hooked me to Joy Division.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 30, 2020, 02:25:06 AM
On Glitter - how well known is his story in the US because I couldn't tell if the use of his music in Joker was deliberate or unknowing.

He's not known at all but every single American has heard Rock and Roll, Part 2 a million times.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2020, 02:43:52 AM

He's not known at all but every single American has heard Rock and Roll, Part 2 a million times.

Can confirm.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Yeah is it still used at sports events?

Here he is entirely tarnished because of the child sexual abuse convictions here and in Vietnam.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 30, 2020, 03:30:19 AM

Yeah is it still used at sports events?

Here he is entirely tarnished because of the child sexual abuse convictions here and in Vietnam.

His 4-minute cameo in Spiceworld got axed as well.

Admiral Yi

"An Education."  Carey Mulligan is a 16 year old private school girl who hooks up with an older beautiful Jew, played by Szellen Skarsgard (not going to google the spelling).  So it's a Lolita story, but with a much more grown up resolution.  Carey is an actual person in these scenes, with a point of view and a mind capable of forming judgements.  A couple absolutely tear jerking scenes at the endish.

Definitely a good stoner movie.

Syt

Finally watched Dredd last night. That was fun. They don't make many movies like that anymore.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

His House. The atmosphere was excellent. Genuinely scary.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?