News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Yeah I remember trying to watch it years ago and just couldn't get into the first few episodes at all. Years later watched it and liked it. It's not the best thing ever some think but pretty good.
██████
██████
██████

Gups

It's good once the characters start to develop. Not sure it deserved all the awards it got recently but it's a solid, enjoyable comedy.

Barrister

Funny, for my entire life the words "CBC comedy" equals, well, shit.  So never watched a moment of that show.

Now it's winning awards.  What a funny world we live in.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I mean it's not laugh out loud funny so far, but I do enjoy it for a chuckle.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on September 25, 2020, 11:33:42 AM
Funny, for my entire life the words "CBC comedy" equals, well, shit.  So never watched a moment of that show.

I think Kim's Convenience is CBC too. That's also a decent bit of light TV. Not going to make any best comedy ever lists but definitely better than most of the stuff out there.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

I'm finding it harder these days to get into even excellent comedies.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on September 25, 2020, 11:38:22 AM

I think Kim's Convenience is CBC too. That's also a decent bit of light TV. Not going to make any best comedy ever lists but definitely better than most of the stuff out there.

It is.  Again I wrote it off as typical politically correct CBC unfunny comedy and never watched a moment.  But I saw more than a few people say when Schitt's Creek won all those awards that "Kim's Convenience is better".

Josephus

Kids in the Hall. Also CBC
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

My dad insisted I watch Kim's convenience.  I lasted two episodes.  Slightly interesting to me that the father in particular is a totally (North) Americanized dude faking a Korean accent.

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on September 25, 2020, 03:19:41 PM

The one exception.

The Brain

The Thing (2011). Scientists find something in the Antarctic ice. Of course a prequel like this is limited by the constraints placed upon it. I think they really should have tried to find some new angle to the story (while painting inside the lines), because as it is it's basically some of the same stuff as in The Thing (1982), only more meh. There's less weird, less uncertainty, less DIABEETUS. That being said any movie that can be told completely in Among Us memes isn't all bad.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on September 25, 2020, 03:28:25 PM
Quote from: Josephus on September 25, 2020, 03:19:41 PM

The one exception.

:)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 24, 2020, 11:33:16 AM
Quote from: merithyn on September 23, 2020, 10:01:54 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 23, 2020, 09:57:47 PM
She is the leader. Also, the biggest badass on the show is the Martian marine chick.

I'm halfway Season 2. She is not the leader. She is an ambassador. She works most often with the Deputy UN Secretary Ennwright.

The "biggest badass on the show" is a Sargent who reports to a male General/Admiral (I don't know his rank).

If Avasarala becomes the UN Secretary, one has to wonder if it's not because people complained, just like I am.

Oh, and the abused marine on Bobbie's team for being an Earther? Played by a black man. Seriously? They couldn't have found some blond guy for that role?

The most powerful leaders and characters in this show are women. 

My advice is to keep watching.

I got bored after the men around the UN table kept pushing for war and decided to blow up a moon, and the man with all the money killed a bunch of people, and the men in charge of the resistance decided to push another moon into the sun.

Yeah.. powerful women leaders and characters.... But hey! The bad-ass marine is a woman! :w00t:  :rolleyes:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on September 24, 2020, 10:12:01 AM
A major plot point in the show is the rise to power of a female leader. She arguably becomes humanity's most important and powerful leader (not all good it should be said - she's not above torturing belters to get what she wants).

This is like complaining a series about the election of a female president is sexist because it doesn't show her as already in power when the show started. Just keep watching and this concern will be addressed.

Many women are shown throughout the show to be in positions of authority. That doesn't mean discrimination of various sorts has been "solved" in the world of the show. Our forms of prejudice have simply been replaced with others - a major plot element in the show.

So fun fact: if someone manages to make it through one and a half seasons and then gets tired of watching men be men and cause all kinds of manly wars, telling her to just keep watching and clearly I just don't understand how these things work isn't going to really sell her on it.

As for the article that garbon posted, they turned to Naomi because they knew her and one of the two guys (the meanest one) would move heaven and earth for her anyway. They still put the white man in charge. The "rise of the powerful Avasarala" so far is her manipulating men's egos in the background, which is what women always end up doing in these shows. And yay! Super powerful shero marine! She is pretty damn one-dimensional right now, which hey, it's not the most character-driven show anyway, but at least she's not a wilting violet and she's clearly the one in charge of her cadre of soldiers. I'm hoping she becomes someone with more depth, assuming I can make myself continue watching the show.

The problem is that I was told by several friends that I would absolutely love this show because it's a true sci-fi show with really good women in it. I've been wanting one of those for eons. Instead, at least so far, it's just... not. Men have been the only ones to make any meaningful decisions so far. Men are the ones in charge.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on September 25, 2020, 12:31:07 AM
Sometimes you see someone post something and wonder how it is possible to miss the entire point that badly.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.