News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Back to Away.
It picks up after about episode four or five. Has a very nice finish. Worth watching.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

I really enjoyed both seasons of Cobra Kai. Very good stuff.  :)
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on September 24, 2020, 05:10:04 AM
Quote from: celedhring on September 24, 2020, 04:26:11 AM
What makes them odd? I think the writers are quite smart combining discussion about discrimination while showing a future without the current forms of discrimination.

This bit

QuoteBut is a colorblind, genderblind future really a utopia? While rich ethnic diversity is the norm in The Expanse's version of the future, there's no sense of cultural diversity. The writers have done away with racism and nationalism, but also with individual cultural experiences. And in writing the women exactly like men, they've erased any sense of gender specificity or identity, any sense that women might perceive the world differently, or have different, unique, or notable experiences.

As said I think the Expanse does this cultural diversity thing very well. All too often on e.g. Star Trek, the supposed African guy is obviously just a generic American (until they went OTT with Chakotay).

Yeah, the point in the show is that the racial and cultural divisions that matter to us in the present certainly exist but aren't as big deal in this future - but other ones that haven't even happened yet are a big deal (belters vs Martians vs Earthlings, etc.).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on September 23, 2020, 11:54:58 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 23, 2020, 10:15:31 PM
Quote from: merithyn on September 23, 2020, 09:31:44 PM
Do you mean Avasarala? She's not the leader. She's an ambassador. Every person around the War Table for Earth are men except for her. The military leaders - all men. From Mars, Earth, and OPA. The Captain on the Roci... all men.

She becomes the leader of Earth during the show. Many of the actual bad ass characters are women. Future sexism is an odd complaint to make of this show, given how the mightiest warrior in the series (the Martian marine) and the most powerful leader (of Earth) are both women ...

Again, I'm halfway through the second season, and she's not the leader of anything. So yeah, I'm going to complain. There isn't a single female leader in this show at this time. And yay! A woman fighter who can actually fight! That makes up for all the rest! Woot!  :rolleyes:

By the way? In the book series? Same. Avasarala doesn't become "in charge" until book 6.

Must be nice to be the default in everything so that those odd few that come my way seem like huge things. I'd sure like to know how that feels just once in a strong Sci-Fi series/book.

Admittedly, I might be just a little on edge because it looks like the one really good sci-fi book that shows women as the strongest characters is about to come to life, and it's not a good thing that we have to be in this version of the world.

A major plot point in the show is the rise to power of a female leader. She arguably becomes humanity's most important and powerful leader (not all good it should be said - she's not above torturing belters to get what she wants).

This is like complaining a series about the election of a female president is sexist because it doesn't show her as already in power when the show started. Just keep watching and this concern will be addressed.

Many women are shown throughout the show to be in positions of authority. That doesn't mean discrimination of various sorts has been "solved" in the world of the show. Our forms of prejudice have simply been replaced with others - a major plot element in the show.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on September 23, 2020, 10:01:54 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 23, 2020, 09:57:47 PM
She is the leader. Also, the biggest badass on the show is the Martian marine chick.

I'm halfway Season 2. She is not the leader. She is an ambassador. She works most often with the Deputy UN Secretary Ennwright.

The "biggest badass on the show" is a Sargent who reports to a male General/Admiral (I don't know his rank).

If Avasarala becomes the UN Secretary, one has to wonder if it's not because people complained, just like I am.

Oh, and the abused marine on Bobbie's team for being an Earther? Played by a black man. Seriously? They couldn't have found some blond guy for that role?

The most powerful leaders and characters in this show are women. 

My advice is to keep watching.

The Brain

Anacondas - The Hunt for the Blood Orchid. Not as bad as you'd think actually.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Sometimes you see someone post something and wonder how it is possible to miss the entire point that badly.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on September 25, 2020, 12:31:07 AM
Sometimes you see someone post something and wonder how it is possible to miss the entire point that badly.

You disagree with The Brain on Anacondas?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Tamas on September 25, 2020, 01:14:33 AM
Quote from: Berkut on September 25, 2020, 12:31:07 AM

You disagree with The Brain on Anacondas?

Hugging does *not* equal affection.

Syt

Started watching Schitt's Creek, 4 episodes so far. I like it. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Quote from: Syt on September 25, 2020, 08:48:35 AM

Tried watching it a few time since i love Levy and O'hara (SCTV!), but couldn't get into it.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on September 25, 2020, 08:53:42 AM

Tried watching it a few time since i love Levy and O'hara (SCTV!), but couldn't get into it.
Same - I've heard such good things about it but then I try and it just doesn't seem very good (despite the cast, as you say) :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: HVC on September 25, 2020, 08:53:42 AM

My mother found it annoying at first but then ultimately ended up loving it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I've been told the first two seasons are a bit slow, but from season 3 it gets a lot better.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.