Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on September 23, 2020, 09:03:39 PM
Quote from: merithyn on September 23, 2020, 08:43:36 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 28, 2020, 05:02:07 PM
I've been working my way through The Expanse over the last few weeks....

Seasons 1-3 were fantastic.  S4, so far, is dropping off significantly.

I"m watching Season 2 now. I'm bored. It's no different than any of the other sci-fi like that.

Interesting that in what? 300? 500 years? it's still all men leading all factions everywhere. Good to know that sexism is alive and well that far into the future.  :rolleyes:

The leader of Earth, the largest faction, is a woman in this show.

Do you mean Avasarala? She's not the leader. She's an ambassador. Every person around the War Table for Earth are men except for her. The military leaders - all men. From Mars, Earth, and OPA. The Captain on the Roci... all men.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

She is the leader. Also, the biggest badass on the show is the Martian marine chick.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 23, 2020, 09:57:47 PM
She is the leader. Also, the biggest badass on the show is the Martian marine chick.

I'm halfway Season 2. She is not the leader. She is an ambassador. She works most often with the Deputy UN Secretary Ennwright.

The "biggest badass on the show" is a Sargent who reports to a male General/Admiral (I don't know his rank).

If Avasarala becomes the UN Secretary, one has to wonder if it's not because people complained, just like I am.

Oh, and the abused marine on Bobbie's team for being an Earther? Played by a black man. Seriously? They couldn't have found some blond guy for that role?

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on September 23, 2020, 09:31:44 PM

I"m watching Season 2 now. I'm bored. It's no different than any of the other sci-fi like that.

Interesting that in what? 300? 500 years? it's still all men leading all factions everywhere. Good to know that sexism is alive and well that far into the future.  :rolleyes:

Do you mean Avasarala? She's not the leader. She's an ambassador. Every person around the War Table for Earth are men except for her. The military leaders - all men. From Mars, Earth, and OPA. The Captain on the Roci... all men.

She becomes the leader of Earth during the show. Many of the actual bad ass characters are women. Future sexism is an odd complaint to make of this show, given how the mightiest warrior in the series (the Martian marine) and the most powerful leader (of Earth) are both women ...

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on September 23, 2020, 10:01:54 PM

I'm halfway Season 2. She is not the leader. She is an ambassador. She works most often with the Deputy UN Secretary Ennwright.

The "biggest badass on the show" is a Sargent who reports to a male General/Admiral (I don't know his rank).

If Avasarala becomes the UN Secretary, one has to wonder if it's not because people complained, just like I am.

Oh, and the abused marine on Bobbie's team for being an Earther? Played by a black man. Seriously? They couldn't have found some blond guy for that role?

The show is based on a pre-existing series of books, so it is unlikely that it was changed because people complained.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

11B4V

Quote from: Malthus on September 23, 2020, 10:15:31 PM

She becomes the leader of Earth during the show. Many of the actual bad ass characters are women. Future sexism is an odd complaint to make of this show, given how the mightiest warrior in the series (the Martian marine) and the most powerful leader (of Earth) are both women ...

"Same reason there aren't women in the army. It doesn't make sense."
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

:yes:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on September 23, 2020, 10:15:31 PM

Again, I'm halfway through the second season, and she's not the leader of anything. So yeah, I'm going to complain. There isn't a single female leader in this show at this time. And yay! A woman fighter who can actually fight! That makes up for all the rest! Woot!  :rolleyes:

By the way? In the book series? Same. Avasarala doesn't become "in charge" until book 6.

Must be nice to be the default in everything so that those odd few that come my way seem like huge things. I'd sure like to know how that feels just once in a strong Sci-Fi series/book.

Admittedly, I might be just a little on edge because it looks like the one really good sci-fi book that shows women as the strongest characters is about to come to life, and it's not a good thing that we have to be in this version of the world.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: merithyn on September 23, 2020, 11:54:58 PM
Admittedly, I might be just a little on edge because it looks like the one really good sci-fi book that shows women as the strongest characters is about to come to life, and it's not a good thing that we have to be in this version of the world.

Clear as mud.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

https://www.theverge.com/2016/2/25/11103434/syfy-the-expanse-series-diverse-cast

QuoteHow SyFy's The Expanse cast its multiracial future
Genre TV is relying on increasingly gender-balanced, multicultural casts to populate its far-flung worlds

There's something's visibly missing in the first season of Syfy's space-opera series The Expanse. When a catastrophe strands a handful of working-class ice miners in a treacherous situation, most of them immediately look to their black female engineer for guidance, rather than to the ranking white male officer. When those miners are taken aboard an immense Martian warship, the captain is a no-nonsense Asian woman. One of the series' primary protagonists is a septuagenarian Indian woman in a crucial executive role in the United Nations. There's no glass ceiling in The Expanse, either for women or for characters of color. There's also no reason to assume, sight unseen, that any given referenced characters, regardless of their position in the world, will be white men.

The show, which wrapped its first season earlier this month (and which can be streamed in its entirety on SyFy's website,) takes place in our universe, around 200 years from now, in a future in which humanity has spread throughout the solar system. It's also a future where racism and sexism have become obsolete. Without fanfare, the creators behind the show have created one of the most egalitarian futures on television.

"It was one of the things we talked about early on," says executive producer Naren Shankar, one of three showrunners on The Expanse. He credits authors Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck (who write together under the pseudonym James S. A. Corey) with the show's broad ethnic mix, because it's such a significant part of their books. "They always said, 'The people who make it out into space, it's not just going to be Neil Armstrong, clean-cut, classically white Americans. It's going to be Indian, Chinese, Russian [people], a mix of everybody, every ethnicity. And that's just going to melt and mingle.' We really wanted to reflect that, and retain that in the show, because it does say something about humanity, and that movement out into space."

Shankar has plenty of experience with science-fiction shows and diversity agendas. After getting a PhD in electrical engineering, he became a science consultant on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and a story editor on Star Trek: The Next Generation. He served as a writer on both shows, and as a producer on Farscape and Almost Human. But The Expanse has a take on multiculturalism that he hadn't seen before. "I started my career on Star Trek, and for its time, it was a diverse cast," he says. "But it was very different. The knock against Star Trek, rightly or wrongly, was that the cast felt very hand-picked, trying to have every color of the rainbow. It was the best of intentions, but it didn't really deal with humanity. It was a cross-section of perfect humans on ships meeting aliens who had problems. Star Trek did many, many good things, but this is pretty different. We're trying to really represent human beings, and to extrapolate, to the extent it's possible with this kind of drama, where humanity might go, how ethnicities might mix, how people might look."

For Syfy, The Expanse represents an excellent chance to catch up to the diversity enlightenment that's slowly sweeping across television. With so many channels and such a splintered viewership for any given show, production companies are finding some value in either targeting narrow audiences, or in filling shows with a variety of faces to appeal to the widest range of viewers. Genre television is just starting to catch up with earlier waves of diversity-related thinking in genre comics and novels. Shows like Sense8, The Walking Dead, and Heroes Reborn are relying on increasingly gender-balanced, multicultural casts to expand their idea of what the future might look like, and who might be affected by world-spanning crisis. SyFy embracing this new wave marks a major change from just a decade ago, when the network was involved in one of television's ugliest, most high-profile cases of "whitewashing" — removing the multicultural characters from its adaptation of Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea books, to her vocal disgust.

The Expanse is only a drop in the bucket — a recent study suggests that while television has a reputation as a more diversity-friendly medium than film, it's still largely skewed male and white. Statistically, TV still has the exact same exclusion problem that got Hollywood into so much trouble with the all-white Academy Award acting nominations this year. What makes The Expanse an interesting case isn't just the range of people onscreen. It's the ways, and the reasons, the people behind the scenes are addressing the issue.

Abraham and Franck's books, starting with 2011's Hugo-nominated series launch Leviathan Wakes, are focused on action and load-bearing dialogue, not description. The prose moves quickly, and doesn't spend much time detailing how individual characters look. The hints about ethnicity mostly come in the names: That black spaceship engineer is Naomi Nagata. The Indian politician is Chrisjen Avasarala. The Martian warship commander is Theresa Yao. Beyond those names, it can be easy to gloss over their national identities in print, especially since most characters identify with their planet of birth, rather than their country of historical origin. But onscreen, the gender balance and racial mix become far more evident. And so does the range of accents, which differentiate the white cast members from each other as well.

The authors describe their racial blend as "aspirational." "Part of the mandate when you're writing a future is to write the kind of future you want to see," says Abraham. "Not that we're utopian, but the idea of a future where it's less mixed and interesting than my immediate day-to-day life would have been weird."

Though The Expanse takes place in a fictional future, Franck and Abraham were deliberate about bringing in characters from existing countries and cultures. Franck describes it as "making sure this future had clear roots in the present, and making it clear that nations were still around."

But writing a diverse cast into the books didn't guarantee a diverse one onscreen. The producers had to share the authors' interest in a multicultural future. "I've never liked adaptations where the first thing they do is throw out the book," Shankar says. "There's a reason books have followings. There's a reason people connect to the material. And when we came at this, it was my intention to be very true to the spirit of the work."

The nature of television means that even the best intentions can get filtered out in the development process. "I understand how hard it is, where you run into trouble," Franck says. "If casting agents have problems finding a specific thing they're looking for, they say, 'Maybe we could broaden the search,' which means 'Let's look at white people for this role, because we have hundreds of times more white people in our Rolodex than these other ethnicities you're looking for.' And it would be so easy to just say 'Yeah, let's take a look,' and then you wind up with a much less diverse cast."

Shankar says respecting the books' implied multiethnic cast required a worldwide search for actors for key roles. "You have to go to places like New Zealand, Hawaii, places people don't normally look in casting," he said. "Of course those talent pools are going to be smaller, which means you have to look harder ... But in the end, hopefully you get to create a star. You get to launch somebody new. And that's a great thing."

As an example, Franck mentions a role The Expanse is currently trying to cast for the show's second season: Gunnery Sergeant Bobbie Draper, described in the series' second book as a tall, muscular Polynesian woman, possibly of Maori ancestry. "We're looking for our Gwendoline Christie," Franck says. "We're looking for a talented actress with a body type that does not fit traditional Hollywood roles, and who's had a tough time finding work, and will be thrilled to get a part like this. Over and over, we keep looking for those people, so we can say 'Here's the part you've been trying to get for years now.'"

One of the new stars The Expanse has launched is Dominique Tipper, a British-Dominican singer and dancer who auditioned in London for the role of tough engineer Naomi Nagata. Tipper has acted before, but never in such a major role, and never such a confident, capable one: "She's so unapologetic in her approach, which is what I love about her, and what I love about playing her."

Naomi's brashness gets her into plenty of head-butts with her male colleagues, but those conflicts, like all conflicts in The Expanse, are about the decisions, never about the gender of the person making them. The show is remarkably lacking in sexist or racist invective, or stereotyped portrayals. Women aren't the only people in authority in the series by any means — they just stand out because they're so unlike women in power in so many other shows.

The women of The Expanse don't use sex as a weapon. They don't exhibit discomfort with authority. They don't use soft power or gently defer responsibility. They aren't concerned about alienating people by speaking too harshly or directly. They're all written exactly like men, with all the "wouldn't-it-be-great-if" idealism that sci-fi allows its authors. "That's what's awesome about Naomi," Tipper says. "If it was a man in these situation—no one's talking about [white protagonist Jim] Holden being bossy when he's throwing down the law, and saying what he wants to happen. And I think it's as simple as that. They're two people who are smart, and they have different ideas of leadership and how things should be done, and neither of them are apologetic about it. I like that that wasn't compromised because she's a woman."

Jean Yoon, who plays Captain Yao, had a similar affinity with her character. "What I loved about her was her authority," she says. "She's in command, and she's earned it. There are lots of times where as an Asian actor, I'm playing authority figures, but as a foil to the hero. They're usually flawed authority figures that get discarded partway through the story. Whereas in this case, it really became the whole story. For the Martian ship to be credible, you needed to believe she was an engineer and had fought as a soldier. It was really satisfying to have an opportunity to access that depth of strength."

But is a colorblind, genderblind future really a utopia? While rich ethnic diversity is the norm in The Expanse's version of the future, there's no sense of cultural diversity. The writers have done away with racism and nationalism, but also with individual cultural experiences. And in writing the women exactly like men, they've erased any sense of gender specificity or identity, any sense that women might perceive the world differently, or have different, unique, or notable experiences.

Instead, the writers address the very real drama of prejudice and discrimination with a fictionalized conflict. National and racial factions have been replaced by world-of-origin factions. Earth, Mars, and the physically distinctive "Belters" who live and work in the asteroid belt are facing off against over scarce resources. Smaller distinctions over skin color have taken a back seat to larger ones of survival and political necessity. Classism is alive and well in the future as well, and in an outer-space future where the poor literally may not be able to afford the air they're breathing, poverty becomes an accelerated and vividly explored issue.

By shifting discrimination to the fictional Belters, Franck and Abraham are able to address the subject in a way without feeling like they were exploiting real-life victims. "We both wanted to talk about prejudice and racism, but not in a way where we were stepping on and co-opting the experiences of people who were actually suffering these things," Franck says. "We're not hurting anyone who actually exists."

They also aren't incriminating anyone who actually exists, or encouraging viewers to identify with one group over another. The setting allows for storylines dealing with inequality in a way that equally touches men and women, or white and non-white viewers.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Odd conclusions. Whats particularly great about The Expanse is Chrisjen actually is Indian (well, played by a Persian). Not just a brown woman with an American accent. I also love the effort they put into the Belter-speak.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

What makes them odd? I think the writers are quite smart combining discussion about discrimination while showing a future without the current forms of discrimination.

Sheilbh

25th anniversary of La Haine and the BFI has screenings of it in over 100 cinemas across the UK. Slightly tempted to go to one (but, sadly, swamped with work).

On a purely personal level I love this film and it really matters to me. My A Level French teacher lent me a copy of La Haine and it genuinely changed my life. It was the first film I remember watching and being aware of what a good film could do, beyond just the odd blockbuster etc. It's also the first subtitled film I remember watching and I went on a huge binge of French films after that - then went to watch Talk to Her at the cinema when it came out and saw my first Almodovar film which again just expanded my teenage mind.

I haven't re-watched La Haine in ages but will do :wub: :frog:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on September 24, 2020, 04:26:11 AM
What makes them odd? I think the writers are quite smart combining discussion about discrimination while showing a future without the current forms of discrimination.

This bit

QuoteBut is a colorblind, genderblind future really a utopia? While rich ethnic diversity is the norm in The Expanse's version of the future, there's no sense of cultural diversity. The writers have done away with racism and nationalism, but also with individual cultural experiences. And in writing the women exactly like men, they've erased any sense of gender specificity or identity, any sense that women might perceive the world differently, or have different, unique, or notable experiences.

As said I think the Expanse does this cultural diversity thing very well. All too often on e.g. Star Trek, the supposed African guy is obviously just a generic American (until they went OTT with Chakotay).
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Fair enough. But the show does delve quite deep in the cultural idisioncrasies of martians and belters, which are indeed fictional cultures but ultimately what the show is about.