News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: The Brain on September 21, 2020, 02:01:46 PM
Is Away any good?

I really liked episode one--but it's been going downhill fast. It really needs to the ship to crash on a planet and for the crew to discover a hostile alien lifeform incubating in eggs. Doesn't look like that's gonna happen. I've only seen up to episode 5, though.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Raised by Wolves is quite decent. Original, slightly off-putting, scifi is always welcome.

Josquius

The existence of away seems odd. I'll give it a try. But really rings very much as a harder Sci fi version of that one with Starbuck.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

The one with Starbuck was too stupid to make it to episode 2.  Away may be dull in parts, but at least the mission was trusted to professional astronauts rather than Riverdale rejects.

Barrister

I wasn't particularly interested in any of these upcoming Marvel tv shows, but the trailer for WandaVision looks delightfully weird.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

The trouble with Away is that it's falling for the old Lost trope of giving every character their own story in each episode. Honestly I don't care how Ghanian botanist grew to love botany. Honestly I don't.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on September 21, 2020, 04:56:42 PM
Raised by Wolves is quite decent. Original, slightly off-putting, scifi is always welcome.

Yeah, it had a very odd start.  But I like the character development and I am looking forward to the next episode.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 22, 2020, 01:54:53 PM

Yeah, it had a very odd start.  But I like the character development and I am looking forward to the next episode.

I find the one guy sounds a lot like he's got a Viking accent. :hmm:
Civis Romanus Sum

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on September 22, 2020, 02:46:10 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 22, 2020, 01:54:53 PM

I find the one guy sounds a lot like he's got a Viking accent. :hmm:

:D

I thought his mannerisms were peculiar to that character but it turns out they are peculiar to that actor.

The Brain

Quote from: Josephus on September 22, 2020, 10:54:07 AM
The trouble with Away is that it's falling for the old Lost trope of giving every character their own story in each episode. Honestly I don't care how Ghanian botanist grew to love botany. Honestly I don't.

Ouch. Thanks for the warning.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Eh, there's nowhere near the cast size of Lost, and you should be way more tired of Swank's family shit than the side characters.

merithyn

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 28, 2020, 05:02:07 PM
I've been working my way through The Expanse over the last few weeks....

Seasons 1-3 were fantastic.  S4, so far, is dropping off significantly.

I"m watching Season 2 now. I'm bored. It's no different than any of the other sci-fi like that.

Interesting that in what? 300? 500 years? it's still all men leading all factions everywhere. Good to know that sexism is alive and well that far into the future.  :rolleyes:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on September 23, 2020, 08:43:36 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 28, 2020, 05:02:07 PM
I've been working my way through The Expanse over the last few weeks....

Seasons 1-3 were fantastic.  S4, so far, is dropping off significantly.

I"m watching Season 2 now. I'm bored. It's no different than any of the other sci-fi like that.

Interesting that in what? 300? 500 years? it's still all men leading all factions everywhere. Good to know that sexism is alive and well that far into the future.  :rolleyes:

The leader of Earth, the largest faction, is a woman in this show.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach