News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

Oooo! I did not know he was in it! I'll be checking it out for sure now. The question though: do I wait for it all to air or watch each week?  :hmm:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Larch

Last night I finally got up to date with Archer. I had seen it back in the day up to a certain point but stopped following it, and in the last month or so I've binged all seasons on Netflix, as I found it quite easy to watch 3-4 episodes in a row. I thought that it had finished after the 9th season but I've read that a 10th season will start next month.

Anyone here watched it? Any thoughts on the "fantasy" seasons they've been doing lately?

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on August 20, 2020, 04:26:25 AM
Last night I finally got up to date with Archer. I had seen it back in the day up to a certain point but stopped following it, and in the last month or so I've binged all seasons on Netflix, as I found it quite easy to watch 3-4 episodes in a row. I thought that it had finished after the 9th season but I've read that a 10th season will start next month.

Anyone here watched it? Any thoughts on the "fantasy" seasons they've been doing lately?

I had started re-watching Archer (had previously never gotten past 7 as found the private detective format not compelling) but I've now hit pause in season 9.  I think the Dreamland season (season 8) was fairly interesting but I'm not really keen on these fantasy seasons.

Feels like a show that should have ended but forgot to do so.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Is this the animated series that wants to be a Bond parody but fails miserably due to being written by 12 year old boys?

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2020, 04:35:36 AM
Quote from: The Larch on August 20, 2020, 04:26:25 AM

I had started re-watching Archer (had previously never gotten past 7 as found the private detective format not compelling) but I've now hit pause in season 9.  I think the Dreamland season (season 8) was fairly interesting but I'm not really keen on these fantasy seasons.

Feels like a show that should have ended but forgot to do so.

Yeah, at first these fantasy seasons (kinda starting with Archer Vice back in season 5) seemed like a cool way to refresh the series when the spy theme kinda ran out, but after three in a row (Dreamland, Danger Island and 1999) I'd say that that has ran out as well. That was why I was surprised about there being a 10th season at all.

Josquius

I just can't look back archer having exactly the same voice as Bob. The actor doesn't even try to make it different.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on August 20, 2020, 04:46:15 AM
I just can't look back archer having exactly the same voice as Bob. The actor doesn't even try to make it different.

Bob?

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on August 20, 2020, 04:40:17 AM
Is this the animated series that wants to be a Bond parody but fails miserably due to being written by 12 year old boys?

I don't think so. After all it has a shit ton of cultural, historical and nerdy references that would zoom by the heads of 12 year old boys.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on August 20, 2020, 04:43:55 AM
Yeah, at first these fantasy seasons (kinda starting with Archer Vice back in season 5) seemed like a cool way to refresh the series when the spy theme kinda ran out, but after three in a row (Dreamland, Danger Island and 1999) I'd say that that has ran out as well. That was why I was surprised about there being a 10th season at all.

Yeah fair to say started back in season 5 and it was an interesting spin on format but then merged somewhat back to standard setup after that. I agree though endless riffs of the same character archetypes but in different time periods seems less than ideal.

Note, looking on wiki it is season 11 starting up, season 10 was 1999.

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2020, 04:56:26 AM

I don't think so. After all it has a shit ton of cultural, historical and nerdy references that would zoom by the heads of 12 year old boys.

I imagine he might be more referring to the level/amount of just plain crude humor.  :P

It thought it had some witty humor, but way too much of the aforementioned to hold my interest.

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2020, 04:58:55 AM
Quote from: The Larch on August 20, 2020, 04:43:55 AM

Yeah fair to say started back in season 5 and it was an interesting spin on format but then merged somewhat back to standard setup after that. I agree though endless riffs of the same character archetypes but in different time periods seems less than ideal.

Note, looking on wiki it is season 11 starting up, season 10 was 1999.

Ah, my bad, I thought 1999 was season 9, rather than 10. So yeah, 11 seasons seem like a bit too much in hindsight.  :lol:

And yes, If they had only done Dreamland and then rebooted it again (after Vice is when they went from the spy theme to the private detective one, right?) it could have been a cool structure for the show (x seasons of a given theme, a fantasy season to reboot it and then a different theme), but three fantasy seasons in a row has kinda dried the well for me.

I'll still watch the new season, though, and given that it seemed that it won't be a fantasy season I'm kinda curious to see what the new gimmick will be.

The Larch

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 20, 2020, 05:03:38 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2020, 04:56:26 AM

I imagine he might be more referring to the level/amount of just plain crude humor.  :P

It thought it had some witty humor, but way too much of the aforementioned to hold my interest.

Their commitment to the "Phrasing!" running gag is very endearing to me.  :lol:

celedhring

Write me down on the list of not a fan of the fantasy seasons. I liked the Pacific island one, but having the same characters being rebooted every season just to play slightly similar versions of themselves in a different setting is not something I look forward to.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on August 20, 2020, 05:14:24 AM
Write me down on the list of not a fan of the fantasy seasons. I liked the Pacific island one, but having the same characters being rebooted every season just to play slightly similar versions of themselves in a different setting is not something I look forward to.

The Danger Island one, even if it seemed to have plenty of potential, was the most meh for me, personally. I enjoyed more the space themed one that followed, even if it also ended up fizzling out.

garbon

I like the story that when they were thinking about casting the voices, they wanted someone like Jessica Walters for the mother and then her agent was like do you want the actual Jessica Walters? :)

It also has Aisha Tyler, whom I will always love.