And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 09, 2020, 12:01:08 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 08, 2020, 03:13:52 PM
On my HBO there is both The White Queen and The White Princess. Is any of them any good?

War of the Roses theme, no? It was meh, but could have been worse.

Yeah! Thanks.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 08, 2020, 08:38:22 PM
Quote from: Tyr on July 08, 2020, 06:25:09 PM
Contrary to the usual way this sort of thing is done it does seem will ferrel played someone the right age given the intro scene with Waterloo. It's McAdams playing a few years older (in the scene where they're kids sigrid does look a bit younger than ferrels character)
It's always way. The average age of leading women is normally about 20 years under the leading man.
I mean usually it would be the older guy playing someone much younger rather than the woman playing someone older.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

I, Tonya. Margott Robbie goes full white trash to play 90s ice skater and global villainess Tonya Harding. The movie is very over the top and played for laughs, so there's not much in the way of interesting character work in it. It's amusing, certainly, but ultimately insubstantial. I can't say much as for the veracity of the claims made in it, which more or less absolve Tonya of any wrongdoing on the attack on Kerrigan.

Liep

The Way Back. Watch The Way Way Back instead.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Liep on July 09, 2020, 04:06:08 AM
The Way Back. Watch The Way Way Back instead.

I assume you're talking about the new one. The 2010 film was rather good and a completely different genre.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

I finally watched the Scarface remake. In early 80s Miami, a Cuban criminal rises through the ranks and faces many challenges, the greatest of which is himself. It's generally well-made, if silly at times. One problem with all movies in which the main character is completely unlikable (to me it's mostly a problem, even if it has its points) is that you never care what happens to him. The final fight would have benefited from being less ridiculous.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

The 100 has taken an interesting twist, it looks like they are trying to bring all the story lines together into one grand narrative - so far so good.  :)

Malthus

Watching a bizarre German series "Dark", which keeps getting weirder the more I watch it ... [spoiler] I'm starting to realize many of the characters are the product of loops in time - keeping track of them you need some sort of flow chart! [/Spoiler] it's very good though. So far at least.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Yes! I think it's one of the best shows on Netflix. Really good.
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 10, 2020, 01:30:55 AM
Yes! I think it's one of the best shows on Netflix. Really good.

If it is all build up and no resolution, I'm gonna riot. 😄 Though it has been so cleverly done so far, I can't believe that will happen.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

In season 3, [spoiler]they throw a parallel world into the mix. [/spoiler]  :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

I've been watching s3 of dark too. About 3 episodes in now. Have to say it's quite a challenge remembering who everyone is and why they're where they are.
I think I have a good idea what's going on. I hope I'm wrong and/or they fix it.

It really is good. Better than stranger things by a mile. Netflix has had a lot of good foreign language series.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on July 10, 2020, 01:28:11 AM
Watching a bizarre German series "Dark", which keeps getting weirder the more I watch it ... [spoiler] I'm starting to realize many of the characters are the product of loops in time - keeping track of them you need some sort of flow chart! [/Spoiler] it's very good though. So far at least.

It gets even more complex.  And then an order of magnitude more once you hit season 3, but very much worth the effort.

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on July 10, 2020, 02:21:29 AM
I've been watching s3 of dark too. About 3 episodes in now. Have to say it's quite a challenge remembering who everyone is and why they're where they are.
I think I have a good idea what's going on. I hope I'm wrong and/or they fix it.

It really is good. Better than stranger things by a mile. Netflix has had a lot of good foreign language series.

My two favorite series lately have both been German: Dark and Babylon Berlin.

I loved Stranger Things. It's a totally different type of show than Dark though, despite some superficial similarities. Stranger Things is a genre-bender, with a great deal of humour to go with its science fiction/horror; also, a big part of the fun is spotting the tropes, references to other works, and 80s nostalgia they deliberately throw in. Dark is, well, pretty dark, and of course much more serious. I think both are good at doing what they aim to do, but they are not aiming to do the same thing.

celedhring

Mortal Engines. This movie was panned when it came out, and was a huge financial flop, but I thought the premise was just too ludicrous for it not being entirely enjoyable. After an apocalyptic war, cities have been mounted on gigantic steampunky wheeled engines and prey on each other for resources and remnants of pre-war technology. Obviously London is the worst predator of them all.

Sadly the movie, besides being atrocious, has a young adult bent, so it's not the celebration of Britishness it should be.  :bowler: