News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

It really is some astounding art.

Oddly enough, watching the original cast, I thought Lin-Manuel Miranda was clearly the weakest actor and stage presence of the main characters. Like, a clear step down from the rest.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

Apparently a new Battlestar Galactica reboot, albeit not the same story, has been given the go for pre-production.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on July 05, 2020, 11:15:04 PM

Oddly enough, watching the original cast, I thought Lin-Manuel Miranda was clearly the weakest actor and stage presence of the main characters. Like, a clear step down from the rest.
Yeah. So I watched the London version when it came out here but then heard the Broadway version. The only actor I think was clearly better than the NY cast was the one playing Hamilton.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Berkut on July 05, 2020, 11:15:04 PM

He's really much better as an author than as a performer, but I guess this was such a personal project that it's understandable he'd play the character too.

celedhring

I promised mom that we'd watch it together but she can't watch it until Disney get their shit together and upload Spanish subtitles  :lol:

KRonn

I saw the movie Ford versus Ferrari. Pretty good movie, was fun watching it. If based on and true to actual events then it's a good small piece of automotive history.

Malthus

Just finished season 3 of Babylon Berlin - I thought it was awesome, for Languish history types in particular - I really loved the period details in this production. Everything was just detail perfect.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tamas

Quote from: Malthus on July 06, 2020, 08:45:24 AM
Just finished season 3 of Babylon Berlin - I thought it was awesome, for Languish history types in particular - I really loved the period details in this production. Everything was just detail perfect.

I might start it. I hope it doesn't have Luddendorf reminiscing about his wartime in East Africa.

The Brain

47 Ronin ("Whoa" version). When I first tried to watch it some time ago I didn't know it was a fantasy movie and decided to try again later when I felt for a fantasy movie. I now finished it. It is a totally OK movie.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on July 06, 2020, 02:58:52 PM
"Whoa"

What I said when I just noticed you had a new sig.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

David Crosby: Remember my Name (2019)

So... Rodger McGuinn isn't talking to him; Neil Young isn't talking to him; Stephen Stills isn't talking to him; Graham Nash isn't talking to him; and he was an even bigger bastard when he was using hard drugs.

That's pretty much how this biopic goes; David Crosby reminisces on his life, music, mortality and the many poor decisions he's made along the way.  Interesting (at least for fans of The Byrds and CSN/CSNY) but depressing as well.  There are interviews (some archival) with his former band mates as well.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Hamilton. An entertaining history lesson, for sure. Not much to look at, half the time it's somebody standing still under a spotlight. The songs were just ok. There was a fair amount of fan service for New York theater goers. The rap parts were pretty talky, not much flow.

Overall, worth a watch. But it's no Les Mis.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Watched Eurovision.  Not great, but I laughed a few times.  Curious to hear how it played in Iceland.

Movie casting is such a weird thing though.  The movie had Pierce Brosnan (born in 1953) play Will Farrell's character's father (born in 1967), while Farrell's love interest Rachel McAdams (born in 1978) is clearly shown as being about the same age as Farrell's character.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on July 07, 2020, 11:31:28 PM
Watched Eurovision.  Not great, but I laughed a few times.  Curious to hear how it played in Iceland.

Movie casting is such a weird thing though.  The movie had Pierce Brosnan (born in 1953) play Will Farrell's character's father (born in 1967), while Farrell's love interest Rachel McAdams (born in 1978) is clearly shown as being about the same age as Farrell's character.

But that's only because Will casts himself in almost everything he writes & produces.

I liked the movie. My GF & I were very surprised by the fact that they just perform 1 song over & over.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

Watched Sorcerer - which until now I had never watched. The film, despite its career-wrecking reputation, it's actually rather decent. But I still don't know how Friedkin watched Wages of Fear and thought "you know what? what we need is *more* of the stuff before they get on the trucks".