News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Didn't know he was British.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Yeah from Peckham. He is very much a local hero still does a lot of fundraising for the local youth theatre he went to as a kid which is nice and he took Harrison Ford to a Nigerian place on the Old Kent Road.

I went to see the first of the Star Wars in the local cinema and there was a huge cheer when he first came on the screen :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 28, 2020, 12:00:03 PM
Never been prouder of local boy done good John Boyega :lol:

Really? How oversensitive can you get David Marris?

I am so insulted you hate racists and made a beard joke! ONLY MONSTERS DO THAT!!!111 The guy must cry everytime he leaves his house.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Uncut Gems. Sandler did a decent job. Character & story were kinda cliche though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on May 28, 2020, 08:50:55 AM

Also. PS:
:rolleyes:

Survivors conspiracy goes on... Survivors has been released in France on DVD. However, it's the 2008 version.  :lmfao: Cashing in on 28 Days later and 28 Weeks later fame according to the description.  :hmm:

The youtube links I have for watching are beyond crappy (240p?!)...

Tonitrus

Watched the first couple episodes of Space Force on Netflix.

It's not good.

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 29, 2020, 08:10:53 PM

It's not good.

I dunno - watched the first 3-4 episodes.

I had a few genuine laugh out loud moments.  It's not fantastic, but I want to watch more.

John Malkovitch is worth watching the show all by himself though.

Curious if you have any military-specific complaints though.  Clearly the show's Space Force is more like a militarized NASA, and not like the real Space Force, for what it's worth.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Two Nights, One Day - if Ken Loach was Belgian.
Company decides to sack a woman who has been on sick leave with mental health issues. They setup a dodgy vote for her colleagues to agree to this for some reason. She has to go around them trying to get them to pick her or her bonus.
Messed up if this is a thing that happens
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 30, 2020, 12:37:01 AM

It's not good.

I dunno - watched the first 3-4 episodes.

I had a few genuine laugh out loud moments.  It's not fantastic, but I want to watch more.

John Malkovitch is worth watching the show all by himself though.

Curious if you have any military-specific complaints though.  Clearly the show's Space Force is more like a militarized NASA, and not like the real Space Force, for what it's worth.

I watched the first episode, I agree with you that Malkovitch alone makes this worth watching.  But it also pretty good otherwise.  I think the main issue is they couldn't decide what they wanted to the character to be - the person the jokes were directed at or someone who we should take more seriously.

Admiral Yi

It's not good.

I'm about halfway through the first episode and I haven't had a single good laugh yet

Habbaku

The Great on Hulu is pretty amazing, witty, and dramatic in equal turn. 8.5 out of 10 Huzzahs!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Malthus

Quote from: Habbaku on May 31, 2020, 09:00:25 PM
The Great on Hulu is pretty amazing, witty, and dramatic in equal turn. 8.5 out of 10 Huzzahs!

I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Just have to turn off the inner bitchy historian for a bit. 😄
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habbaku

Oh, yes. Have to throw history out the window on that one.

There are two major anachronisms that made me laugh, at least:

1: They show Francisco Goya's painting, Saturn Devouring his Son some ~60 years in advance of the art even being made.
2: The children's choir in episode 7 singing White Army, Black Baron (in Russian). A Red Army song from the Russian Civil War.  :D
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

I've seen 3 episodes of space force. Its...ok. It's not an outright sitcom, it's more a light comedic drama in the Silicon Valley vein. And it has had laughs.
I also love that phoebie buffet and Michael Scott are married.
██████
██████
██████