News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

One thing about all these shows running from home is that you get to see how the on airs look without professional makeup.

Sheilbh

Rocketman - what a surprisingly tremendous film.

I wish that they'd given Bohemian Rhapsody to Dexter Fletcher from day one and that the remaining members of Queen were as self-aware as Elton John. Above all else I wish it had been a musical, not just a biopic.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Didn't we have a thread for suitable films to watch during the Virus?

Anyway I've remembered the film that I think best echoes the feelings 'we' are having with this slow-motion doom, it's 'On the Beach' with Gregory Peck, , Ava Gardner, Fred Astaire and Anthony Perkins 

The story is that the nuclear war has already happened in the Northern hemisphere and now Australian and outlining regions have to deal with the fear and uncertainty that the clouds of radiation might bring to their refuge.

Well worth a viewing
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

You may be having those feelings, 'we' aren't. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 28, 2020, 06:05:57 PM
You may be having those feelings, 'we' aren't. :contract:

Eddie your little snipping nitpicks don't often come off, instead like in this instance it reveals a lack of comprehension on your part, in this instance the use of 'we' in my sentence.

This seems to be a good starting point for you:
https://www.scribbr.com/language-rules/quotation-marks/

Scare quotes
"Scare quotes" are quotation marks used around words that are not a direct quotation from a specific source. Scare quotes are often used to signal that a term is being used in an unusual or ironic way, that it is borrowed from someone else, or that the writer is sceptical towards the term.

;)

Eddie Teach

Ok then. As long as you agree that you're alone in feeling this is the end of the world.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 28, 2020, 08:42:11 PM
Ok then. As long as you agree that you're alone in feeling this is the end of the world.

You are arguing with mongers.  :wacko:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on March 29, 2020, 02:29:08 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 28, 2020, 08:42:11 PM

You are arguing with mongers.  :wacko:

Up to your usual standard I see.

Malthus

Finished the Tiger King series. Damn that was one insane ride.

[spoiler]In a way, the series kinda gives Joe Exotic exactly what he wanted - he's the centre of attention again, and millions of people now think of all of his enemies as total scumbags, and not just him! 😄 That Carol Baskin was sadly mistaken in agreeing to participate - before the series, she had "won" pretty well, but now, she's more or less lost the PR battle. Joe may not be the "hero", none of them are, but she certainly isn't either in this narrative. [/spoiler]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on March 29, 2020, 10:02:11 AM

[spoiler]In a way, the series kinda gives Joe Exotic exactly what he wanted - he's the centre of attention again, and millions of people now think of all of his enemies as total scumbags, and not just him! 😄 That Carol Baskin was sadly mistaken in agreeing to participate - before the series, she had "won" pretty well, but now, she's more or less lost the PR battle. Joe may not be the "hero", none of them are, but she certainly isn't either in this narrative. [/spoiler]
I think everyone in it must have thought they wer going to give their side of the story and everyone would sort-of agree with them. It's crazy.

[spoiler]And, in an extraordinary way, Joe Exotic ends up the most sort of sympathetic of the major characters. I feel like Carol's definitely killed someone. Doc Antle is a terrifying man and Jeff Lowe is dodgy as fuck.[/spoiler]

Meth is a hell of a drug.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Since I've fallen to the depths of watching Homeland, I think I'll give this Tiger King thing a try. 15 days into quarantine and I'm alarmingly running out of shows to watch.

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 29, 2020, 10:07:14 AM
Quote from: Malthus on March 29, 2020, 10:02:11 AM

I think everyone in it must have thought they wer going to give their side of the story and everyone would sort-of agree with them. It's crazy.

[spoiler]And, in an extraordinary way, Joe Exotic ends up the most sort of sympathetic of the major characters. I feel like Carol's definitely killed someone. Doc Antle is a terrifying man and Jeff Lowe is dodgy as fuck.[/spoiler]

Meth is a hell of a drug.

I agree with all of that - hearing Carole's story, it sounded totally dodgy. I'd be quite amazed if she [spoiler] wasn't guilty of murdering her husband. Doc is a complete sociopath grooming those "associates" and Jeff is a really nasty con man.

What really surprised me is that Carole agreed to take part without having total editorial control. She struck me as being much cleverer than the other assorted crooks, she's managed her PR brilliantly up until then, so you would expect her to have been smarter than that. Now I suspect she's under fire. She must have thought the documentary would be an expose of all of the other crooks, with her cast as the hero and victim. [/spoiler]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on March 29, 2020, 11:01:28 AM
Since I've fallen to the depths of watching Homeland, I think I'll give this Tiger King thing a try. 15 days into quarantine and I'm alarmingly running out of shows to watch.

It's totally insane.

As a non-American, my overwhelming thought was "how on earth did any of them get away with doing what they do for so long, without apparently the slightest interference from the authorities?"

Legbiter

Quote from: Malthus on March 27, 2020, 10:20:52 AM
Watching the Netflix series "Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness". Everyone portrayed is impressively crazy. I'm enjoying it.

Watched the first episode last night. Wow, I'm hooked. You think it can't get any crazier then "hold my beer", yes it can.

That country song is real. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzDXo9kUs7g
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on March 29, 2020, 11:15:44 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 29, 2020, 11:01:28 AM

It's totally insane.

As a non-American, my overwhelming thought was "how on earth did any of them get away with doing what they do for so long, without apparently the slightest interference from the authorities?"
I was surprised it wasn't mainly in Florida and it was the most America - like best, worst, just most in all directions :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!