News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Hanna

TV series on Amazon Prime, inspired by the movie of the same name.  This time, they actually have a solid actress to play the part.

It's part coming of age, part thriller à la Bourne Identity.

Hanna is a 15 year old teenager who's been raised by her "father", alone, in a Poland forest since her birth.  Her mother was enrolled in a secret CIA program where they modified the kids DNA to create super soldiers.  Eric, the "father", was the one who recruited Hanna's mother, but as he fell in love with her, he stole the baby and escape with his new family, unfortunately, the mother was killed by the CIA baddies trying to cover their act.

15 years later, Hanna dreams of the outside world, seeks to break the barriers her father confined her to and she meets some people and attract the CIA's attention.  The former program head is now trying to get her back by any means possible.

Hanna has been raised as the perfect killing machine, but she is just a 15 year old teenager, totally ignorant of the world outside of her forest...  There are some very nice scenes when she tries to act as a normal teenager, when she's awed by the life she never really hard.  She's torn between her desire for normalcy and her mission of survival.

It starts a bit slow, mostly repeating half the movie in the first hour, but by the 3rd episode, I think it becomes a great show and you're really invested in the characters presented on screen.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

The Chilling adventures of Sabrina, season 3

If you haven't watched this show yet, I think you definately should binge the 3 seasons.  Unlike Riverdale, it's not directly aimed at younger teens.  Lots of interesting plot points and funny moments.

Sabrina is 16 year old witch who has been promised to Satan, to become his bride, on Samhain.  1st season is mostly her trying to avoid her faith, 2nd season dealing with Satan, 3rd season dealing with the fallout of the 2nd season events.  Sabrina lives with her aunts, both of them witches.  There are dealings with the religious authority, normal high school drama and such, it's an lightly horror theme series.

Can't say more without spoiler, but go and watch this.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Habbaku

Birds of Prey was trash, save for a few very entertaining bits/characters.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Habbaku on February 26, 2020, 03:14:38 PM
Birds of Prey was trash, save for a few very entertaining bits/characters.
I am not surprised you thought that.  I don't think you're the target audience as envisioned by the writer and director.  I went with two female friends and we all thoroughly enjoyed it.  Have you seen the animated Harley Quinn show by chance?  That is pretty damn funny in my opinion and more appealing to traditional adult comic movie fans.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

It is probably not a good sign for your big budget mass market film that, unless you are in the exact target audience, it is unsurprising you will think it is trash. :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Started on the Swedish Millennium movies.

Woman: Knows one sentence from the Bible
Man: ZOMG U HAve PHoTogRAphIc MemoRy!!11111

:unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

How many lines from the Bible do you know, Brain?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 26, 2020, 06:04:09 PM

Something something begat something begat something something begat something.

I have microscopic memory.

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on February 26, 2020, 05:14:32 PM
It is probably not a good sign for your big budget mass market film that, unless you are in the exact target audience, it is unsurprising you will think it is trash. :lol:

I have no idea what he means is the target audience. Guys that go to films with two girls? Cool story, guy.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on February 26, 2020, 06:07:55 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 26, 2020, 06:04:09 PM

Something something begat something begat something something begat something.

I have microscopic memory.

:lol:

crazy canuck

New Pope - episode 7, ok that was odd. 

The Brain

celedhring

Hunters - Amazon has developed quite an expertise making alt-hist nazi conspiracy shows that manage to be particularly boring. Also, somehow Pacino decided this was the best property for making his first subdued performance in ages.

Sheilbh

The only level of Pacino I accept is Devil's Advocate Pacino :contract:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on February 27, 2020, 04:15:32 AM
Hunters - Amazon has developed quite an expertise making alt-hist nazi conspiracy shows that manage to be particularly boring. Also, somehow Pacino decided this was the best property for making his first subdued performance in ages.

So far I feel like it's basically no plot threaded through violent, icky scenes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.