News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

What's a good, legal way to watch hentai?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

I'd never seen all of True Grit (remake) all the way through.  Rented yesterday from YouTube.

Saw a number of things that made me unhappy, mostly changes from the book.  A lot of quick cuts in the movie, whereas the book has a more leisurely, meandering style.  The movie cuts a lot of the best dialogue out.  I think in the book the courtroom scene is a masterpiece, but it got trimmed in the movie.  I suppose they had to worry about running time, but shit.

My biggest beef was the reinvention of the Cogburn LaBeouf relationship.  *Spoiler I suppose* There was no need to create the drama queen sudden rupture between them.  The ebb and flow of their comeradery and antagonism is one of the best parts of the book.  And it makes LaBeouf's magical reappearance at the end deus ex machina nonsense.

I'm glad they kept Ned Pepper in his entirety.  He has some awesome lines and I think he may be my favorite character in both the book and movie.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

There's also the option of buying DVDs.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

The Perfection. Promising young cellist had to leave the academy run by one of the guys from Wings to take care of her sick mother, when the mother finally kicks the bucket a new talent has taken her place. Actually pretty good, a bit silly maybe but it's not like every other movie. The chick is hot. [spoiler]There is lesbian sex.[/spoiler]
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Rewatching My Week With Marylin.  A lot of really good scenes in this flick.  I think my jealousy of Eddy Remayne made me unable to appreciate the finer points the first time.

KRonn

Quote from: Syt on February 19, 2020, 01:21:36 PM
Been watching the first couple episodes of Deutschland 83 (excellent so far).

The title song is of course New Order's Blue Monday.

Only just realized that NO's singer Bernard Sumner and the main character in the show have more than just a passing similarity ...

I used to watch that but lost track of it. Good reminder for me to find it again.  :)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 22, 2020, 03:03:56 AM
Rewatching My Week With Marylin.  A lot of really good scenes in this flick.  I think my jealousy of Eddy Remayne made me unable to appreciate the finer points the first time.

How did it affect your enjoyment of The Danish Girl?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I've been watching the Outsider on HBO.  I think there is a difference between deliberate pacing and stalling for time.  I can't help but feeling they could have wrapped this up by now.  I sympathize with the guy who is skeptical of the existence of a monster.  If they had provided me with evidence of a monster I wouldn't believe it.  If I actually saw the monster I wouldn't believe it.  One of side effects of living with a mental illness is that you really don't trust what you see and hear.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

The Notebook.  Poor boy Ryan Gosling and rich girl Rachel McAdams hook up for the summer in 1940 South Carolina.

The big problem with straight romances is that whereas falling in love can be cinematic, and breaking up can be cinematic, just being in love is duller than dust.

Josephus

Quote from: Razgovory on February 23, 2020, 11:34:05 PM
I've been watching the Outsider on HBO.  I think there is a difference between deliberate pacing and stalling for time.  I can't help but feeling they could have wrapped this up by now.  I sympathize with the guy who is skeptical of the existence of a monster.  If they had provided me with evidence of a monster I wouldn't believe it.  If I actually saw the monster I wouldn't believe it.  One of side effects of living with a mental illness is that you really don't trust what you see and hear.

I was really looking forward to this as I really enjoyed the book.

But I gave up on the series after four episodes. I thought it was just me.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

I'm still watching because I want to see it through the end, but it has been a bit of a slog.

FunkMonk

Saw Parasite yesterday. It was more deeply affecting to me than I thought it would be. That ending was a gut punch.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 24, 2020, 10:11:23 AM
Saw Parasite yesterday. It was more deeply affecting to me than I thought it would be. That ending was a gut punch.

Yep and yep.  :)