News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Sonic.

It's for very young children, obviously.  The kids said they liked it, but I didn't hear that many laughs.  I think I fell asleep at some point.  So, 7 and below, ok.  Adults, bring headphones and listen to music.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 16, 2020, 07:24:36 PM
Quote from: The Brain on February 16, 2020, 04:53:59 PM
Speaking of olde times shit, anyone know how much naughty stuff there is in Thieves of the Wood?

Not much...and what little there is is more depressing than titillating.

Thanks. You're a timesaver!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

KRonn

New season of Outlander last night. I have it recorded to watch later today. A good show, a favorite. Also recorded the last episode of Breaking Bad, another huge favorite with me. I've seen that all the way through about three times. This time around didn't want to watch it all, just the last awesome episode.

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 16, 2020, 07:26:54 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 15, 2020, 09:17:37 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 15, 2020, 08:17:46 PM
I'm still holding out for the photo-realist Thundercats reboot :o

After the reception of Cats, you might be waiting a while.

There's always Silver Hawks or Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors.  Maybe even M.A.S.K.  :P

We need the Visionaries reboot!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

So I've caught up on The Expanse. More please.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Creep 2. Talentless YouTuber answers ad for one day's shooting. Short and sweet, and it kept my interest. Not important cinema, but it has its qualities.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Brain on February 16, 2020, 11:41:07 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 16, 2020, 07:24:36 PM
Quote from: The Brain on February 16, 2020, 04:53:59 PM
Speaking of olde times shit, anyone know how much naughty stuff there is in Thieves of the Wood?

Not much...and what little there is is more depressing than titillating.

Thanks. You're a timesaver!

It's not a bad show in its own...but counterpart to the protagonist started out as a far more compelling character...but his conclusion turned out to be to rather unsatisfying...and feeling forced. 

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Valmy on February 17, 2020, 02:38:33 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 16, 2020, 07:26:54 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 15, 2020, 09:17:37 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 15, 2020, 08:17:46 PM
I'm still holding out for the photo-realist Thundercats reboot :o

After the reception of Cats, you might be waiting a while.

There's always Silver Hawks or Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors.  Maybe even M.A.S.K.  :P

We need the Visionaries reboot!
I was going to throw that out there and then thought, "Nah, no one else remembers them."  I should have known Languish would hold someone who did.  Hahaha
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Josquius

Reading a book about the Hong Kong film industry I've come to a realisation.
In entertainment we are now a post scarcity civilization.
When I was a kid I would eagerly seek out any shred of anime or Asian cinema. Videos and dvds were rare and precious things. Now any film I want I can get pretty quickly, whether through legal/illegal digital means or amazon.
Then you've stuff like YouTube and Netflix allowing you to watch any time.... It's really quite amazing to think how massively different the land scape is to when I was a kid and I'd purposefully avoid activities on Monday nights as that's when stargate or star trek would be on.
The media is showing the way civilization in general is going?
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Been watching the first couple episodes of Deutschland 83 (excellent so far).

The title song is of course New Order's Blue Monday.

Only just realized that NO's singer Bernard Sumner and the main character in the show have more than just a passing similarity ...

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Savonarola

Paisan (1946)

The second of Roberto Rossellini "War Trilogy," this deals with the Americans liberating various Italian cities and the interaction between soldiers and civilians.  The story is told as a series of six vignettes; none of them are related in terms of character (although they all have the thematic element of Americans and Italians not sharing a common language.)  I'm not a big fan of this sort of movie; but this is one of the better ones.  Most of the stories are downers, but Rossellini does manage to inject some humor into them; (Federico Fellini is both a writer and assistant director; but I think Rossellini has more of a sense of humor than I had given him credit for.)  The most clever scene is one with Maria Michi who wears the same sort of fur coat she "Earned" in "Rome, Open City" (though she's clearly a different character in this one.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

I remember watching S3 of Narcos and thinking it was a bit weird that Salcedo sounded like a Swede. Later I suspected that the actor was a Swede but only today I knew for sure. Nice to know I'm not insane. :)

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011