Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 30, 2020, 10:57:34 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 30, 2020, 10:51:15 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on January 30, 2020, 10:45:35 AM
Not sure if serious, but there's nudes all over the place in Outlander.

Dead serious.  I've watched maybe 30 minutes and never got a sniff.

It's a 55 episodes series of ~1h & you've watched 30minutes.  :rolleyes:

If the nudity was "all over the place" then it would be in the place he watched. :rolleyes:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 30, 2020, 10:57:34 AM
It's a 55 episodes series of ~1h & you've watched 30minutes.  :rolleyes:

Too many turnoffs in those 30 minutes to keep watching.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josephus

Always check with Mr. Skin.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 21, 2020, 07:08:39 AM
Are there any Jane Austen novels in which the beautiful, bright, spunky heroine does *not* get prince charming and live happily ever after?

Not novels, but Jane Austen (the person)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

New netflix show on the fall of Constantinople. one of those historical dramas with spots where historians given commentary.  Good stuff and surprisingly high production quality.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 30, 2020, 12:57:24 PM
New netflix show on the fall of Constantinople. one of those historical dramas with spots where historians given commentary.  Good stuff and surprisingly high production quality.

I'm reading it's called Ottoman, is a Turkish co-production, and shown from the viewpoint of the Turks.

I'm not sure my Byzanto-fourtysomething soul could handle that show. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

I am: Ottoman Empire, the show?

;)

But seriously - I'm interested in seeing that, if it is good.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

I heard it portrays the Byzantines as corrupt and pleasure seeking...which would be impressive since they had been living in demoralizing poverty for centuries by that point. Is that true CC?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

I watched the first episode and was ready to walk away and ended up not stopping until the end of the third episode.  It is well done- and BB - they also tell the story from the Roman perspective.

Quote from: Valmy on January 30, 2020, 01:07:56 PM
I heard it portrays the Byzantines as corrupt and pleasure seeking...which would be impressive since they had been living in demoralizing poverty for centuries by that point. Is that true CC?

No.  In fact it paints a complimentary portrait of the last Emperor and explains how Constantinople's poverty impacted it ability to defend.

Valmy

Cool. Glad to hear that. I might check it out then.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 30, 2020, 01:10:39 PM
I watched the first episode and was ready to walk away and ended up not stopping until the end of the third episode.  It is well done- and BB - they also tell the story from the Roman perspective.

No.  In fact it paints a complimentary portrait of the last Emperor and explains how Constantinople's poverty impacted it ability to defend.

I thought having Churchill rally the Christians during the fall of Constantinople was a bit unbelievable.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

But the charge of cataphracts at Verdun was inspiring.

Tonitrus

I thought of posting a curmudgeonly harsh review of that show earlier, but demurred.  :P

I have noticed that instead of straight-up history documentaries, the trend now in history shows is dramatic cut-scene costume dramas interspersed with historian soundbites.  Personally not a fan.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on January 30, 2020, 02:05:34 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 30, 2020, 01:10:39 PM

I thought having Churchill rally the Christians during the fall of Constantinople was a bit unbelievable.

Agreed, they did not have radio back then