Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 23, 2020, 07:25:05 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 18, 2020, 12:02:42 PM
Dracula E3 is a bit of a mess.

I quit halfway through. Big letdown after the first couple episodes. [spoiler]Couldn't get over how stupid it was that they just let Dracula go.[/spoiler]

Yeah, to me that was the dumbest part. [spoiler]We have to release him! He has a...lawyer.[/spoiler]

crazy canuck

Never underestimate our dark powers.

Savonarola

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 22, 2020, 06:24:38 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on January 22, 2020, 05:21:11 PMI'm not that familiar with the genre outside Daniel Defoe.

Have you ever read Tristram Shandy?

No, I've never even seen the movie.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

If anyone is curious, there is a movie but it's called A Cock and Bull Story.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 22, 2020, 06:25:49 PM

I lasted about four pages.

Apparently, Thomas Jefferson was a big fan.  :P

Oexmelin

I quite like the movie - it's a valiant attempt at getting at the spirit of the book.

Otherwise, Sav, you can try Shandy "light": Jacques the Fatalist (which explicitly borrows from Sterne...)
Que le grand cric me croque !

Sheilbh

Quote from: Savonarola on January 22, 2020, 05:21:11 PMI'm not that familiar with the genre outside Daniel Defoe.

I love Tristram Shandy.

At university by the time I read it I already decided I was kind of wanting to focus on modernism and I was really into formal criticism. And I don't think I've ever been as excited reading a book, because I knew it had a reputation but it just blew my mind.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 23, 2020, 05:07:39 PM
I quite like the movie - it's a valiant attempt at getting at the spirit of the book.

Otherwise, Sav, you can try Shandy "light": Jacques the Fatalist (which explicitly borrows from Sterne...)

Now that one I did read in school, but it seemed more like philosophizing than storytelling.  :hmm:

Threviel

Finished S4 of The Expanse. Excellent show, gold standard for sci-fi.

[spoiler]Parts of the last episode felt a bit rushed. Where did all the slugs go?

Ashfords death wasn't handled good. That he was about to die was obvious and probably needed to get whatshisname established as a big bad. But why would an experienced fighter like Ashford try to storm a ship with only two assistants? Shoot out the engine and call or help would have been the more obvious strategy. And why would he, when the enemy ship seemed finished and withe the enemy in sights move in such a way as to leave an unsecured door at his back? And when threatened by Philip, why didn't he just kill whatshisname? He knew he would be spaced. That part established Ashford as a bad tactician, not whatshisname as a good one.[/spoiler]

viper37

I totally agree with you about Ashford :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

S3 of True Detective. Excellent.

Razgovory

I'm trying to watch HBO's Watchmen, because everyone says it's great.  My only problem is that I don't have much tolerance left for Super Heroes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

I didn't see any superheroes in the first couple episodes, just regular people in masks.

crazy canuck

1917 - Stunningly beautiful and horrific.  I liked the fact it was a day in the life movie rather than one that tried to make heroes out of the main characters.