News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Vanity Fair, Barry Lyndon, War and Peace

Hi all. Can't log in on computer or reset password and hate typing on mobile so haven't been round much but lurking sometimes

The Brain

Quote from: Gups on January 21, 2020, 04:46:16 PM
Vanity Fair, Barry Lyndon, War and Peace

Hi all. Can't log in on computer or reset password and hate typing on mobile so haven't been round much but lurking sometimes

Hi! :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Sure - but two of them are set at the time of Austen's novels :P

Hello :w00t:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 21, 2020, 01:35:30 PM
Watched the first episode of Avenue 5

High Laurie at his comedic best.  Five Blackadders out of Five

Yeah enjoyed it. Some pretty silly stuff, and punchlines you can see coming from a light year away, but good fun with a lot of potential.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 21, 2020, 04:24:08 PM
Depends what you mean by romance.

I meant in the pejorative sense.  Simplistic, unrealistic fantasies for bored housewives.

Admiral Yi

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 21, 2020, 07:08:18 PM

I meant in the pejorative sense.  Simplistic, unrealistic fantasies for bored housewives.

I don't think that's a fair complaint. Austen was more realistic than just about anyone who had come before.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Dead wife has pretty great jumblies.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Josephus

Speaking of great jumbies....The New Pope..S2. ep 2. Nice pair as milfy type pleasures herself with a phone.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

One of Richardson's novels is subtitled "Virtue Rewarded" it doesn't get much more unrealistic than that.

;)

The novel itself was thought of as light entertainment (roughly equivalent to soap operas) in the period in which Jane Austen wrote.  She has a famous passage in Northanger Abbey in which she defends the novel as, if not literature, a form of entertainment.

The previous generation's Gothic novels (which Austen parodies in Northanger Abbey) would fit your description.  Earlier eighteenth century novels might; I'm not that familiar with the genre outside Daniel Defoe.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Sheilbh

:o

I think that's unfair on Austen, but then I love her a lot :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Oexmelin

Quote from: Savonarola on January 22, 2020, 05:21:11 PMI'm not that familiar with the genre outside Daniel Defoe.

Have you ever read Tristram Shandy?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 22, 2020, 06:24:38 PM
Have you ever read Tristram Shandy?

I lasted about four pages.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 18, 2020, 12:02:42 PM
Dracula E3 is a bit of a mess.

I quit halfway through. Big letdown after the first couple episodes. [spoiler]Couldn't get over how stupid it was that they just let Dracula go.[/spoiler]
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?