News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

No love for 1931 Bela Lugosi's Dracula? :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 09, 2020, 04:49:24 PM
Pose.

So I enjoyed it. But the writing is thickly laid on and some of the acting is....:ph34r:

All very fair.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on January 09, 2020, 05:09:29 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 09, 2020, 03:43:40 PM
Quote from: The Larch on January 09, 2020, 03:40:16 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 09, 2020, 03:35:17 PM
So is it good or bad?

It is very enjoyable and a bit of a new take on a classic story. It doesn't follow the book strictly but takes some of its threads and characters and translates them into its own take of the tale. Skip it if you're a purist.
I've never managed to read the book because I get to scared about 100 pages in so all of my Dracula knowledge is from the films - which vary in how they interpret it. Obviously the best is Bram Stoker's Dracula :P

But having said that I think it's worth watching the new version just for the section on the ship which was superb.

CineMassacre on YouTube did an excellent in depth video a while ago comparing the most notable Dracula movies as to how closely they follow the literary original. Might be worth a watch and saves you the reading. ;)

Here it is, it's quite long but very worth the watch. There's a shorter, 10 minute version as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9D74m628gQ

I'm going to make a quick tally to see how many points this version would score.  :P

Edit: So by my count it racks around 30-32 points, depending on how you rate some of the categories. It'd put it around the middle of the pack

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2020, 03:41:16 PM
T&A?

Not really. There's lots of implied stuff but not much is shown. IIRC there's only one nude scene, and you can't really see much on it.

crazy canuck

What do you mean, you can see his ass for extended periods of time 

The Larch

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 09, 2020, 05:44:57 PM
What do you mean, you can see his ass for extended periods of time

I doubt that Yi was asking about Dracula's ass.  :P

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on January 09, 2020, 05:16:35 PM

I guess it suffers the bane of any classic movie. Even if it's the iconic take on the story and the one that fixes the aesthetic of the character, it has not really been seen by a broad audience nowadays, and its a bit jarring to present day audiences due to the huge difference on film-making between now and then.

Funnily enough, I'd say that Murnau's Nosferatu is better known, and it's an even older film.

celedhring

Lugosi's Dracula isn't really a great film. It's pretty stiff, has a lot of bad dialogue and does not have particularly groundbreaking filmmaking. It suffers from most of the problems of early talkie films. The Spanish version is more highly regarded.

Nosferatu is a classic.

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on January 09, 2020, 05:16:35 PM

That Dracula is based on a stage play; and after about the first fifteen minutes feels hopelessly stage bound.  Todd Browning never really got sound and for the most part directed exploitation movies in the sound era (including the magnificent "Freaks".)  Spanish language "Drácula" (as Celedhring noted) is better directed; but it has the problem that the films Dracula is just some guy in a cape, while Bela Lugosi is Dracula.  The silent film "Nosferatu" (1922) is much closer to the book than those two (which is amusing since Murnau didn't have the rights to the book; so he calls Dracula and the Harkers by different names.)  My personal favorite Dracula movie, for sheer weirdness, is Carl Theodore Dreyer's "Vampyr."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on January 09, 2020, 06:23:26 PM
Lugosi's Dracula isn't really a great film. It's pretty stiff, has a lot of bad dialogue and does not have particularly groundbreaking filmmaking. It suffers from most of the problems of early talkie films. The Spanish version is more highly regarded.

Nosferatu is a classic.

I just love how they shot the same film with the same sets and same script just in Spanish with Spanish actors...oh and with a much more talented director. Was that common back then? Because it just seems so weird.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on January 09, 2020, 10:40:13 PM
I just love how they shot the same film with the same sets and same script just in Spanish with Spanish actors...oh and with a much more talented director. Was that common back then? Because it just seems so weird.

It was in the very early thirties before they figured out how to do dubbing or subtitles.  For other weirdness Anna Christie (1930) has the same leading lady in both the English and German versions (Greta Garbo) but otherwise a completely different cast and costuming.  Laurel and Hardy would shoot their films three times, in English, French and Spanish phonetically sounding out the last two languages.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2020, 04:58:05 PM
Bad Blood.  Semi-historical mob story set in Montreal.  The Bikers and at least one cop speak with French accents but everyone else speaks Canadian English.  A couple cuties, a little bit of strip club PG-13 skin.  The co-lead is a Hollywood cast-off, the same dude who played the coach in Goon.  I'll keep going, at least for a while.
it's not so bad.  There are two seasons, the second one was better.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on January 09, 2020, 10:40:13 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 09, 2020, 06:23:26 PM

Nosferatu is a classic.

Yeah, as Sav says in the early 30s dubbing/subtitles were still difficult to do. There was also the fact that Hollywood thought that people would be more readily accept foreign productions if shot in their language. But by the mid-30s nobody was doing it anymore.

So you see how crude technology was in the very beginning, let's not forget that the music soundtrack was often played live instead of recorded and then mixed into the film's live track. And there were cases of actors/actresses with ungainly or just heavily accented voices that would mouth the words and have somebody else talk into the mic, live.

If you want to add to the weirdness, since most cinemas in the US weren't still equipped for sound, a lot of films had silent and talkie versions. Sometimes it was just a few sound scenes inserted on the silent version, but other times they shot two completely different versions concurrently. Hitchcock's Blackmail is a notorious example.

viper37

Witcher, episode 1.
I really like it! :)  This gives me the exact feeling for the Witcher 3 game, the best so far :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Quote from: viper37 on January 10, 2020, 05:02:34 AM
Witcher, episode 1.
I really like it! :)  This gives me the exact feeling for the Witcher 3 game, the best so far :)

Cavill really channels videogame Geralt, that low & raspy voice felt a bit forced at first, but he grows into it.