News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Just finished the Dracula miniseries. I must say that I enjoyed the last episode more than I thought. Rather than with the ending, I was more annoyed by [spoiler]the utter incompetence of the people at the Jonathan Harker Foundation. Sure, Dracula can get close to our guys, what could happen? Sure, let's give him a computer, what's he going to do with it? Oh, a lawyer comes, let's take him directly to Dracula and allow them to get away because he might sue us.[/spoiler] So, so terrible. I did enjoy [spoiler]how he got resurrected while underwater by being poked in the mouth by the diver, it was just like in the Hammer films, where Christopher Lee's Dracula would always get some idiot to bleed over his ashes or something by pure chance and then come back.[/spoiler]

Sheilbh

I did love all of the references to the Hammer classics. Very Gatiss.
Let's bomb Russia!

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Berkut on January 09, 2020, 03:35:17 PM
So is it good or bad?

It is very enjoyable and a bit of a new take on a classic story. It doesn't follow the book strictly but takes some of its threads and characters and translates them into its own take of the tale. Skip it if you're a purist.

Admiral Yi

The Brain

THE MAN ASKED YOU A QUESTION
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on January 09, 2020, 03:40:16 PM
So is it good or bad?

It is very enjoyable and a bit of a new take on a classic story. It doesn't follow the book strictly but takes some of its threads and characters and translates them into its own take of the tale. Skip it if you're a purist.
I've never managed to read the book because I get to scared about 100 pages in so all of my Dracula knowledge is from the films - which vary in how they interpret it. Obviously the best is Bram Stoker's Dracula :P

But having said that I think it's worth watching the new version just for the section on the ship which was superb.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 09, 2020, 03:43:40 PM
So is it good or bad?

I've never managed to read the book because I get to scared about 100 pages in so all of my Dracula knowledge is from the films - which vary in how they interpret it. Obviously the best is Bram Stoker's Dracula :P

But having said that I think it's worth watching the new version just for the section on the ship which was superb.

The ship episode (which takes on a part of the story that is never told and only fast-forwarded in I think almost every film) is really good, yeah.

And I agree that Bram Stoker's Dracula is the best version of the story.  :P Even if it takes lots of liberties with some parts and is almost single-handedly (together with Anne Rice) blamed for the creation of the "romantic vampire" trope, it is I think the only movie that tries to replicate the epistolar format of the original story. And it looks so gorgeous. Apparently there's a BBC version from the 70s that is also quite faithful to the original story, but has some trippy special effects that can be a bit too much.

Sheilbh

Pose.

So I enjoyed it. But the writing is thickly laid on and some of the acting is....:ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Bad Blood.  Semi-historical mob story set in Montreal.  The Bikers and at least one cop speak with French accents but everyone else speaks Canadian English.  A couple cuties, a little bit of strip club PG-13 skin.  The co-lead is a Hollywood cast-off, the same dude who played the coach in Goon.  I'll keep going, at least for a while.

Syt

So is it good or bad?

CineMassacre on YouTube did an excellent in depth video a while ago comparing the most notable Dracula movies as to how closely they follow the literary original. Might be worth a watch and saves you the reading. ;)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

The book isn't that long.  Well worth reading for the style in which it is written if nothing else.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on January 09, 2020, 03:48:39 PM
So is it good or bad?

The ship episode (which takes on a part of the story that is never told and only fast-forwarded in I think almost every film) is really good, yeah.

And I agree that Bram Stoker's Dracula is the best version of the story.  :P Even if it takes lots of liberties with some parts and is almost single-handedly (together with Anne Rice) blamed for the creation of the "romantic vampire" trope, it is I think the only movie that tries to replicate the epistolar format of the original story. And it looks so gorgeous. Apparently there's a BBC version from the 70s that is also quite faithful to the original story, but has some trippy special effects that can be a bit too much.

Coppola's Dracula is both great and ridiculous at the same time. Then again, I can't think of any Dracula film that isn't (and some like Dracula 1972 are only ridiculous...). The 1970s one with Langela is pretty good too, and of course the first one with Christopher Lee is awesome, and I'd say the first sequel (Prince of Darkness - which is no longer adapting Bram Stoker, of course) is even better.

celedhring

God, I need to watch me some Hammer stuff right now. Devil Rides Out is one of my absolute favorite movies.