News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on December 05, 2019, 03:48:09 PM
That's almost as good as when the Vikings take an arduous journey through the unknown seas aboard their long ship, and after much toil and uncertainty, bravely discover ... England.
they rediscovered it.  It got lost, they found it again.  ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on December 06, 2019, 02:13:06 AM
Quote from: Malthus on December 05, 2019, 03:48:09 PM
That's almost as good as when the Vikings take an arduous journey through the unknown seas aboard their long ship, and after much toil and uncertainty, bravely discover ... England.
they rediscovered it.  It got lost, they found it again.  ;)
So Ninth Century Brexit worked?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

So, seems we're getting GTA Online: the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2m-08cOAbc

Looks like a dumb version of The Truman Show, but it's got Jodie Comer in it  :wub:

Malthus

Been watching Bojack Horseman. I resisted this for a while, because it looked to be a show about Hollywood celebrity, which isn't something I'm normally interested in.

Holy crap, does it get dark. But very well done dark. The darkest humor I've yet seen in animated format.

[spoiler] The arc of Bojack dealing with his relationship with his mother - ending with an episode entirely dedicated to him ranting at his funeral (only to realize he was at the wrong funeral) was awesomely intense. [/spoiler]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Supposedly you should stop once that arc ends. It was amazing when they did the original arc but then were surprised the show was as successful as it was and tacked on more seasons that turned out to be subpar. But I admit I have never watched the show :lol: just passing along what I heard.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on December 09, 2019, 10:11:54 AM
Supposedly you should stop once that arc ends. It was amazing when they did the original arc but then were surprised the show was as successful as it was and tacked on more seasons that turned out to be subpar. But I admit I have never watched the show :lol: just passing along what I heard.

Well, that's discouraging.   I guess it is hard to have your protagonist convincingly hit rock bottom every season.  :lol:

Up to the point I'm at, at least, it is well worth watching. Some episodes are duds, like any show, but the writing is very bitingly clever overall. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Larch

I've known of people who didn't want to watch Bojack if they were feeling depressive for fear of digging a deeper hole, and waited instead to be in a better mental shape to get into it.  :P

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on December 09, 2019, 10:22:29 AM
I've known of people who didn't want to watch Bojack if they were feeling depressive for fear of digging a deeper hole, and waited instead to be in a better mental shape to get into it.  :P

We are sort of watching Bojack (like an episode every two weeks). Sometimes it is funny/interesting, but most of the time it is an almost dangerous level of  self-indulgent glorification of self-pity.

celedhring

By "people" he means me  :P

I'm holding on the new season until I finish shooting my short film.

Malthus

Quote from: Tamas on December 09, 2019, 10:51:27 AM

We are sort of watching Bojack (like an episode every two weeks). Sometimes it is funny/interesting, but most of the time it is an almost dangerous level of  self-indulgent glorification of self-pity.

Indulging in self-pity is certainly an obvious aspect of Bojack's character.

He does bad things and feels bad about that, over and over again; we find out why through his relationships and history, but this is always shown as a reason, not an excuse.

I think if you are getting "glorification" out of that, it isn't exactly what was intended ... I mean, we aren't supposed to envy Bojack, or think his whining is justified or a good thing. I suspect the real purpose is to make us laugh at ourselves, insofar as sometimes, we all can resemble him. Or one of the other characters, all of whom are somewhat dysfunctional.

The main purpose is humour, albeit of a very dark sort.

Malthus

I could sort of see it as therapeutic in a way ...  ;)

Josquius

I didn't find Bojack too depressing even though I watched some past series in less than great times. I guess it depends exactly what problems you have. To me his issues were very far removed from anything I've dealt with.
It is a thought though. What shows/films are truly depressing. There's definitely some though my memory is failing me.
██████
██████
██████

frunk

Quote from: Malthus on December 09, 2019, 10:19:04 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 09, 2019, 10:11:54 AM

Well, that's discouraging.   I guess it is hard to have your protagonist convincingly hit rock bottom every season.  :lol:

Up to the point I'm at, at least, it is well worth watching. Some episodes are duds, like any show, but the writing is very bitingly clever overall.

I disagree.  I think it's still worth watching, if only for the tongue twisters that they continue to make the voice actors say.