News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

The movies on Netflix are either crap, or ancient and I've seen them five times already.  Hostiles is crap.  The Duchess is crap.

Sheilbh

Their movie selection is normally pretty poor (unless it's a Netflix film). Amazon's better in my experience.

But it's my biggest irritation with the whole streaming thing is it's all about TV. I basically want a streaming movie channel most of the time :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Amazon has a few good movies, but an ungodly amount of utter rubbish, fan made things that should be free, mock busters, etc...

Both suck at discoverability, but amazon is the worst, its like nobody designed their UI. And the way they sneak in pay per view films alongside free ones.... Pfff
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Back watching The Crown, despite my fury at how they portrayed MacMillan last time.

Hoping Wilson is treated more fairly.

Edit: Although very clever casting of Anthony Blunt by Samuel West who played him in the Cambridge Spies series (which I remember thinking was quite good).
Let's bomb Russia!

KRonn

A few months ago I bought a new smart TV. I have an Amazon Prime account so have  been watching some movies and a few episodes of Carnival Row. I'll probably also start to watch Jack Ryan which looks quite good.
Not sure if or when I'll look to get another streaming service. I have enough to watch on regular TV but there are some shows on the streaming services that look good.

Admiral Yi

The Crown S3 with dumpy middle aged Liz.

The story line with the art historian baffles me.  The Americans tell the Brits they have a spy in Buckingham, and then the Brits keep him in his job until he retires, so as to not lose face with Americans?  Is that really how it played out?

Admiral Yi

Looks like they kind of sexed up Mountbatten's part in the coup.  A shame I can't trust the show's accuracy anymore.

Eddie Teach

Moana. Really good. Especially enjoyed the Coconut Pirates.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2019, 09:49:21 PM
The Crown S3 with dumpy middle aged Liz.

The story line with the art historian baffles me.  The Americans tell the Brits they have a spy in Buckingham, and then the Brits keep him in his job until he retires, so as to not lose face with Americans?  Is that really how it played out?
More or less. He also gave a full confession and dobbed out everyone else. But was I think given a full pardon by Alec Douglas-Home (so pre-Wilson).

Plus he was just an art historian by then. He had been in MI5.

It all came out in the 80s, I think when Spycatcher came out. But I think a fair few in MI5 suspected Blunt for a very long time before the sixties and were fairly relieved that he was then mainly an art historian.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

And when it came out in the 80s he was forced out of all his official roles, stripped of his knighthood etc.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Ok that explains some of the sketches on the Fry and Laurie show.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

On the Crown and I am obsessed with Barbara Castle and Marcia Williams (:wub:)

Though I'm a fairly big fan of them generally anyway.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Wot's this now?  Camilla Parker-Bowles was the wife of the dude Charles' sister was banging??  :huh: