And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on November 13, 2019, 03:24:02 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 13, 2019, 03:22:14 PM
Isn't the pilot the Santa's Little Helper episode? I think that one is great.

Pick and choose from the first season. Take the great ones and skip the duds I say.

Yup, pilot is the Christmas episode.  I mean it's fine, but I never thought it was great.

I'd skip at least the first season entirely, if only because it was so damn ugly at first. When did the drawing improve, was it in the second one or later?

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on November 13, 2019, 05:09:56 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 13, 2019, 03:24:02 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 13, 2019, 03:22:14 PM
Isn't the pilot the Santa's Little Helper episode? I think that one is great.

Pick and choose from the first season. Take the great ones and skip the duds I say.

Yup, pilot is the Christmas episode.  I mean it's fine, but I never thought it was great.

I'd skip at least the first season entirely, if only because it was so damn ugly at first. When did the drawing improve, was it in the second one or later?

That was from the Tracy Ullman show.

By the time the pilot came around the characters look pretty much like they do now.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Tried watching Nobel.  Norwegian miniseries.  The main guy is a sniper stationed in Afghanistan, so I think this is going to be an American Sniper rip-off.  But then he gets leave to see his seriously hottie wife (Tuva Novotny; pic here https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0637259/mediaviewer/rm750758656) and it goes right off the rails.  Brilliant plan to save the world by developing the Afghan oilfields  :wacko:, except the evil Afghan war lord stands in the way.  Evil war lord's beautiful wife flees to Norway, evil war lord chases her down, sniper dude rescues her...and I give up.

celedhring

Finished watching The Deuce. Quite good overall, the wrapping up of all the storylines felt a bit rushed towards the end though. David Simmons says they always planned it as a 3-season show, but if that's the case I think they missed a trick by not continuing into the Giuliani era.

Admiral Yi

I don't think I've ever seen a teen show as self-indulgent as Skins.  Every single adult is a tosser.  Every single suburban middle class teen disappointment is a dire calamity.  It's a paean to infantilism and self-centeredness.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 15, 2019, 04:23:52 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a teen show as self-indulgent as Skins.  Every single adult is a tosser.  Every single suburban middle class teen disappointment is a dire calamity.  It's a paean to infantilism and self-centeredness.

Ass?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Sheilbh

Really enjoying the Name of the Rose TV series. Turturro is spot-on as Baskerville and Rupert Everett is excellent as Bernardo Gui.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Every time I watch Up it just destroys me  :cry:  :blush:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

mongers

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 15, 2019, 10:05:01 PM
Every time I watch Up it just destroys me  :cry:  :blush:

The animation with the old man and the house?

If so I did like it, so maybe should give it another go and look for the deeper meaning you found, that which just went straight over me.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

It's a story of a man whose wife died without ever getting to take the grand adventure they'd always planned; no deeper meaning necessary.  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

FunkMonk

Yeah, it's a pretty simple and straightforward story. Just told really, really well.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Brain

What's a good costume drama TV series with a decent amount of butts and boobs?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on November 16, 2019, 04:08:19 PM
What's a good costume drama TV series with a decent amount of butts and boobs?

The Tudors is decent, plenty of T&A.