News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on October 23, 2019, 02:17:21 PM
It was never a riot to beign with - the term riot was just used as a way to let a bunch of white people murder a bunch of black people and have a fig leaf of legal cover.

"Them coloreds was rioting, and we were forced to shoot them in self defense!"

I mean they terrorized the black community in a way that very much resembled a riot. Hordes of random private citizens burning and lynching through a town.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 23, 2019, 02:42:02 PM
Quote from: Maladict on October 23, 2019, 03:28:11 AM
"Our adversary was a genius, almost superhuman warrior. We defeated him."
Classic imperial propaganda, Rommel can take his place next to Vercingetorix and Decebalus.
Yeah though I think it is literally only Rommel. The rest may be honourable but they're not geniuses.

Are there other "honourable" excellent Axis generals for other Allies? I imagine not from a Russian perspective given how brutal the Eastern.

Manstein often has this reputation of this brilliant professional toiling under an insane regime.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Yeah I was thinking of him. But is that a Western thing? Or do the Russians also see him as some sort of broadly honourable and excellent general?
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on October 23, 2019, 08:30:59 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 22, 2019, 03:24:41 PM
As an aside, it would be hilarious to be in the same theatre as Berkut watching the new Midway movie.

Watching his head explode would be a better effect than any of the CGI in that trailer, and well worth the price of admission.  :D

I am hopeful, but very, very skeptical.

The problem is that even if it is told according to the accepted "historical" *mythology* of Midway, that will be largely wrong.

I could tolerate that though....

Look like they plan to cover the Doolittle Raid as well as Midway itself; My guess is that it's gonna be infuriating.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on October 23, 2019, 01:24:08 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 23, 2019, 12:00:31 PM
Race riots were different then.  It was more of a massed lynching.  There were some really nasty ones like St. Louis in 1917 and Elaine, Arkansas in 1919.

Different from what period? I guess I never heard the term "race riot" outside of that context before. :hmm:

I don't know of any race riot after 1950 where whites hunted down blacks.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on October 23, 2019, 02:51:45 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 22, 2019, 03:24:41 PM
As an aside, it would be hilarious to be in the same theatre as Berkut watching the new Midway movie.

Watching his head explode would be a better effect than any of the CGI in that trailer, and well worth the price of admission.  :D

I am hopeful, but very, very skeptical.

The problem is that even if it is told according to the accepted "historical" *mythology* of Midway, that will be largely wrong.

I could tolerate that though....

Look like they plan to cover the Doolittle Raid as well as Midway itself; My guess is that it's gonna be infuriating.

F-104 Starfighters. :wub:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 22, 2019, 02:39:52 PM
Video media is very powerful and has a profound impact. That is just a fact.
I do not dispute that. :)
QuoteI specifically do not watch history movies anymore because I know it will be full of lies and those lies are going to be very hard for me to get out of my mind because the medium is very hypnotic and powerful. But that is just me, I actually care about history and want to have my mind full of true things and not fake things.
Strange.  I like history too, I care a lot about it, and I always have fun watching an historial movie or some fiction set in an historical period, it inspires me to read a lot more about the subject covered.

The characters are all cliches, the plot is predictable, and the message is vile and disgusting.
I disagree that killing English invaders makes it a vile and disgusting story :P
I see where you come from, but I still like the movie, a lot, and we'll just disagree on that :)

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 22, 2019, 02:41:36 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 22, 2019, 02:36:15 PM
Bah.  Boudica and King Arthur were long used to promote British imperialism.  Besides, there are people right now trying to break up the European Union.  What movie did the need?

Ok so you admit and recognize what I am saying is true.
I admit that the SNP used the movie to promote Scottish independance.  I disagree that Scottish/Catalan/Kurdish/Flemish/Quebec independance is vile.  I disagree that nationalism is radically different than patriotism and inherently evil.  I disagree that imperialism is inherently superior to nationalism.  I disagree that erasing individual and national entities is a great accomplishment.

I agree that historical figures are often used to promote contemporary thropes.  I believe it has been happenning since Alexander the Great, at least.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Maladict

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 23, 2019, 02:42:02 PM
Quote from: Maladict on October 23, 2019, 03:28:11 AM
"Our adversary was a genius, almost superhuman warrior. We defeated him."
Classic imperial propaganda, Rommel can take his place next to Vercingetorix and Decebalus.
Yeah though I think it is literally only Rommel. The rest may be honourable but they're not geniuses.

Are there other "honourable" excellent Axis generals for other Allies? I imagine not from a Russian perspective given how brutal the Eastern.

The only one I can think of is Kesselring, and maybe Manstein for the Soviets.

Josquius

Nobody wants to erase individual identity. Don't conflate that with nationalism.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on October 23, 2019, 01:58:57 PM
Seems to fit this part pretty well, "planes firebombing black neighborhood in US soil".

Great.  And every a black gets executed it's a lynching, and every time a black has a job it's slavery, and every time a black gets diabetes or sickle cell it's genocide.

You do know the mayor of Philadelphia in 1985 was black, don't you?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 23, 2019, 04:44:35 PM
Seems to fit this part pretty well, "planes firebombing black neighborhood in US soil".

Great.  And every a black gets executed it's a lynching, and every time a black has a job it's slavery, and every time a black gets diabetes or sickle cell it's genocide.

The city was forced to pay damages...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 23, 2019, 04:44:35 PM

Cool.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

dps

Care to elaborate on that?  If you do, you might do so a new thread.

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on October 23, 2019, 02:46:27 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 23, 2019, 02:17:21 PM
It was never a riot to beign with - the term riot was just used as a way to let a bunch of white people murder a bunch of black people and have a fig leaf of legal cover.

"Them coloreds was rioting, and we were forced to shoot them in self defense!"

I mean they terrorized the black community in a way that very much resembled a riot. Hordes of random private citizens burning and lynching through a town.

Yeah, it is kind of ironic. We call it a "riot" now to refer to the actions of the white community just murdering a bunch of blacks.

But it was called a riot then as a way of claiming that it was just a generally chaotic riot including black people, in which a bunch of black people died. It suggests that they were involved in the actual rioting, rather than being victims of a riot.

That is why I kind of object to using the term now to describe it - it is suggestive (albeit certainly unintentionally so) of the original whitewash of the entire thing.

"Did you hear about all those poor black people killed in Oklahoma??!?!?

Yeah, I heard there was a race riot!

Oh, that is just so unfortunate! Such violence is terrible!"

As opposed to what actually happened:

"Hey did you hear that a bunch of white people burned down a black neighborhood and murdered a few hundred people?"

Anyway, I am sure even then there were fine people on both sides.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned