News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

First episode of Watchmen was intriguing, it feels like the Watchmen brand is tacked on, but I guess you need whatever IP to get stuff greenlight nowadays and draw eyeballs to your story.

Also, slightly annoyed that they [spoiler]pulled a Ned Stark on Don Johnson, was looking forward to a comeback of sorts for him[/spoiler].

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on October 22, 2019, 03:24:41 PM
As an aside, it would be hilarious to be in the same theatre as Berkut watching the new Midway movie.

Watching his head explode would be a better effect than any of the CGI in that trailer, and well worth the price of admission.  :D

I am hopeful, but very, very skeptical.

The problem is that even if it is told according to the accepted "historical" *mythology* of Midway, that will be largely wrong.

I could tolerate that though....
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

Incidentally, Watchmen made me look up the Tulsa race riot, which I had never heard about before. Wow.

At first I thought the whole "massive race riot with planes firebombing black neighborhood in US soil" was just a dark alt-hist thingie like the Watchmen comic does... but I guess I should not underestimate what 1920s racists were capable of...  (admittedly, the planes bit seems disputed, but still).

Valmy

Oh yeah there would be big attacks on black communities from time to time, that is what race riots were. It was to keep them under control. If you were a white man living in those areas there would be tons of pressure to participate and help "protect the community."

Pretty horrible shit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

Treadstone - a take off on the Bourne series with sleeper agents that were trained and the program deactivated, but someone is reactivating agents. Agents are mostly unaware of their training until being reactivated. So far it seems good.

The Purge - series based on the movies. I didn't think I'd like it, kinda tired of the senseless killing, but so far it's about a lot more. Such as people dealing with the aftermath pf purge night, trying to find out who put contracts on them or dealing with other issues related to the night. I like it so far, I like the cast.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on October 22, 2019, 07:03:52 PM
Quote from: dps on October 22, 2019, 06:45:56 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 22, 2019, 06:32:53 PM
The Poles were at Dunkirk!

I think they participated in like more or less all the battles the British were at in Europe. And then... :(

I'm not sure about their actual participation at Dunkirk, but there were some Polish soldiers in France in 1940, certainly.

Indeed there were a couple of divisions worth reequipped by the French, my confusion is the supposed case of two lone escaped polish soldiers somehow wandering across central  Europe to join in with the battle of France.   :hmm:

Polish Army remnants evacuated through Romania for instance, then to France.
A Polish unit was in the Norway campaign, involved in the ephemeral Narvik victory too. Another Polish unit was in the French Levant as well.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: celedhring on October 23, 2019, 09:21:26 AM
Incidentally, Watchmen made me look up the Tulsa race riot, which I had never heard about before. Wow.

At first I thought the whole "massive race riot with planes firebombing black neighborhood in US soil" was just a dark alt-hist thingie like the Watchmen comic does... but I guess I should not underestimate what 1920s racists were capable of...  (admittedly, the planes bit seems disputed, but still).
Why limit it to the early 20th century?  Sometimes you just have to bomb an entire block in Philly occupied by African Americans and let it burn.  In 1985.
https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2015/05/13/406243272/im-from-philly-30-years-later-im-still-trying-to-make-sense-of-the-move-bombing
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Admiral Yi

I can't believe you're seriously comparing Move 1985 to a race riot. :mellow:

Razgovory

Race riots were different then.  It was more of a massed lynching.  There were some really nasty ones like St. Louis in 1917 and Elaine, Arkansas in 1919.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on October 23, 2019, 12:00:31 PM
Race riots were different then.  It was more of a massed lynching.  There were some really nasty ones like St. Louis in 1917 and Elaine, Arkansas in 1919.

Different from what period? I guess I never heard the term "race riot" outside of that context before. :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 23, 2019, 11:56:51 AM
I can't believe you're seriously comparing Move 1985 to a race riot. :mellow:
Seems to fit this part pretty well, "planes firebombing black neighborhood in US soil".
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

If planes are firebombing things we are probably a little bit past the riot phase.

Berkut

It was never a riot to beign with - the term riot was just used as a way to let a bunch of white people murder a bunch of black people and have a fig leaf of legal cover.

"Them coloreds was rioting, and we were forced to shoot them in self defense!"
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

I thought it was over the top alt history too.  Turns out to have been accurate  :(

Sheilbh

Quote from: Maladict on October 23, 2019, 03:28:11 AM
"Our adversary was a genius, almost superhuman warrior. We defeated him."
Classic imperial propaganda, Rommel can take his place next to Vercingetorix and Decebalus.
Yeah though I think it is literally only Rommel. The rest may be honourable but they're not geniuses.

Are there other "honourable" excellent Axis generals for other Allies? I imagine not from a Russian perspective given how brutal the Eastern.
Let's bomb Russia!