Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on October 22, 2019, 02:36:15 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 22, 2019, 01:29:25 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 21, 2019, 07:58:44 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 21, 2019, 03:35:07 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 21, 2019, 03:33:17 PM
OK, howl away then.

How about creating a nationalistic myth based on hate and lies that has real world implications? Is that worth howling about?

That would be - has that happened?

No question. The SNP was eager to exploit the movie for its ends. This film was a huge boost to those who want to break up the UK.
Bah.  Boudica and King Arthur were long used to promote British imperialism.  Besides, there are people right now trying to break up the European Union.  What movie did the need?

Loads of them. Where in the US they got over the war and moved onto the red menace in short order, the UK never really got past the perfect villainy that is the nazis. Only we never bothered to understand it wasn't the fact they were German that made them so bad.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

I will not have people blaming war films for Brexit :o

Especially because I'd argue British war films tended to be reasonably sympathetic to the Germans (Ice Cold in Alex springs to mind - even A Bridge Too Far) or they're barely there - like Dam Busters, The Cruel Sea.

But this may just be because the Life and Times of Colonel Blimp is one of my favourite films and it was made during the war!
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

No shit.  Every Brit WWII I've ever seen has treated the Krauts pretty well.  Hell, look at that glorification of Rommel.  And they stopped making them 60 years ago.

Just another Squeeze retardo thesis.

celedhring

Movies are a reflection of the zeitgeist, not a cause of it.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: celedhring on October 22, 2019, 05:07:25 PM

Sure, but they also feed back into it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on October 22, 2019, 05:07:25 PM
Like Peter Cook saying his satire club was modeled on the political cabarets of Weimar Berlin "which did so much to prevent the rise of Adolf Hitler" :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Watched the latest episode of the 'World On Fire' bbc/Polish co-production, I thought it was OK, a bit like a modern 'Winds of War', but this time it was odd.

Specifically the two polish soldiers lost in the forests, running from the Germans and occasionally killing some, this time after encountering a German tank, they suddenly came across a British armoured patrol, hale them as the long awaited reinforcements and then fight alongside them when the German's attacked, this during a snowy period whilst Dunkirk is happening to the British characters.  :hmm:

My guess is the young Polish soldier is having some sort of dream/hallicnation, I hope they're not suggestion these polish soldiers somehow walked across German and Belgium to get involved in the BEF fight or god forbid that somehow British soldiers did get to Poland at some point in Winter 39/40 or the following Spring.  <_<

That really would be up there for Languishite Braveheart disdain.  :P 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

The Poles were at Dunkirk!

I think they participated in like more or less all the battles the British were at in Europe. And then... :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

So never heard about the incidents during the new dad's army series?

It's very possible to enjoy war films without being a nationalist idiot.
But what you and I see when we watch these films is not what brexiters see.

For another oddity Farage hailing the Dunkirk film despite me coming away from it thoroughly cursing his ilk.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Weird thing about Dunkirk was it made me think a lot about the whole Spirit of '45 thing and how that society and that moment led to the NHS and a huge welfare state.
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 22, 2019, 06:32:53 PM

I think they participated in like more or less all the battles the British were at in Europe. And then... :(

I'm not sure about their actual participation at Dunkirk, but there were some Polish soldiers in France in 1940, certainly.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on October 22, 2019, 06:45:56 PM

I'm not sure about their actual participation at Dunkirk, but there were some Polish soldiers in France in 1940, certainly.

Sikorski's Army.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: dps on October 22, 2019, 06:45:56 PM

Indeed there were a couple of divisions worth reequipped by the French, my confusion is the supposed case of two lone escaped polish soldiers somehow wandering across central  Europe to join in with the battle of France.   :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Laundromat.  Movie about Mossack Fonseca with a high octane cast.  High on meaningless vignettes and preachiness, low on informativeness. Gives signs of being an adaptation of a play.

Maladict

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 22, 2019, 04:44:00 PM
No shit.  Every Brit WWII I've ever seen has treated the Krauts pretty well.  Hell, look at that glorification of Rommel.  And they stopped making them 60 years ago.

"Our adversary was a genius, almost superhuman warrior. We defeated him."
Classic imperial propaganda, Rommel can take his place next to Vercingetorix and Decebalus.