News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on October 22, 2019, 08:10:09 AM
The highlight of this scene is where the elderly father of one of the characters, wounded in the chest by an arrow, single-handedly pushes the main gate open to let in all the Scots who haven't simply jumped over the walls.
see, that's what makes it great: Scottish resilience against the English invaders! :P

Like I said, good movie.

I don't care if the Force isn't real, I still like Star Wars :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on October 22, 2019, 08:48:34 AM
Quote from: grumbler on October 22, 2019, 08:39:48 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 22, 2019, 08:15:50 AM
If you wait long enough, the same sort of thing will undoubtedly happen to WW2 dramas - a couple of hundred years in the future, Hitler will be depicted wearing a toga and his plate mail-clad troops will be gunning down Russians with crossbows and laser cannon.  :D

You won't need to wait a couple hundred years, just a couple months.  The guy who did The Patriot is doing Midway.

Oh boy, I can't wait for the Languish reviews.  :D No matter what happens, they will be fun!
I posted the trailer a few pages back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfTYY_pac8o

I'm not commenting.  :shutup:   :D

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 22, 2019, 01:27:53 PM
The movie was garbage historically but that was not the biggest problem with it. Having said that people actually do think what was in the movie is what happened.
Apparently, some people thought Xena was real.
Some people really thought a roman general turned gladiator challenged an Emperor in the arena.
I'm sure people went out of the theaters seeing Gone with the Wind thinking black slaves were really happy of living under the good care of their white masters and Union soldiers were all thugs intent on raping and plundering the South and its beautiful women.
Last of the Mohicans features a British general being killed by a Huron who carves his heart out of his chest and then kidnaps his two daughters.  Why would a British general have his daughters, resting safely in England, be brought to a war theater, with all the risks a crossing of the Atlantic - in times of war - entailed?  That's an idiotic plot.  The killed general actually lived and reported to Fort Edward as he was supposed to.  There were no ambush& massacre of the survivors of Fort William Henry as depicted in the movie.  The guns used were wrong for the time period, they were only used in the American Revolution war.  The colors of the British uniforms were wrong.  The idea that Americans started to have thoughts of sedition at the time is contested.

Does that mean they are bad movies?  No, not at all. They are all good movies.

If people think they're watching history unfolding on their theater screen, it's a problem that is not up to "Hollywood" to fix, no more than Microsoft is responsible for twisting facts in its Age of Empires video game series.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 22, 2019, 01:29:25 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 21, 2019, 07:58:44 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 21, 2019, 03:35:07 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 21, 2019, 03:33:17 PM
OK, howl away then.

How about creating a nationalistic myth based on hate and lies that has real world implications? Is that worth howling about?

That would be - has that happened?

No question. The SNP was eager to exploit the movie for its ends. This film was a huge boost to those who want to break up the UK.
Bah.  Boudica and King Arthur were long used to promote British imperialism.  Besides, there are people right now trying to break up the European Union.  What movie did the need?

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on October 22, 2019, 02:28:30 PM
If people think they're watching history unfolding on their theater screen, it's a problem that is not up to "Hollywood" to fix, no more than Microsoft is responsible for twisting facts in its Age of Empires video game series.

Video media is very powerful and has a profound impact. That is just a fact. I specifically do not watch history movies anymore because I know it will be full of lies and those lies are going to be very hard for me to get out of my mind because the medium is very hypnotic and powerful. But that is just me, I actually care about history and want to have my mind full of true things and not fake things.

However you are building a strawman that I specifically said I did not want to build: that its shitty history made it a bad film. The shitty history was not what made it a bad film. The characters are all cliches, the plot is predictable, and the message is vile and disgusting.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on October 22, 2019, 02:36:15 PM
Bah.  Boudica and King Arthur were long used to promote British imperialism.  Besides, there are people right now trying to break up the European Union.  What movie did the need?

Ok so you admit and recognize what I am saying is true.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on October 22, 2019, 02:18:55 PM

I posted the trailer a few pages back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfTYY_pac8o

I'm not commenting.  :shutup:   :D

'Let me show you on the doll where the excessive use of lousy CGI hurt me ...'  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

What is vile and disgusting about FREEEEEEEDOOM?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 22, 2019, 03:03:23 PM
What is vile and disgusting about FREEEEEEEDOOM?

Nothing!

Though I, of course, rather disagree that the definition of freedom means the right to be ruled by a Scottish dictatorship rather than an English one.

Eddie Teach

The message of the movie is based on the events of the movie, not the real history.

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 22, 2019, 03:20:38 PM
The message of the movie is based on the events of the movie, not the real history.

Indeed.

Eddie Teach

So explain how it's vile and disgusting.

Malthus

As an aside, it would be hilarious to be in the same theatre as Berkut watching the new Midway movie.

Watching his head explode would be a better effect than any of the CGI in that trailer, and well worth the price of admission.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 22, 2019, 03:24:07 PM
So explain how it's vile and disgusting.

Well first I guess I need to discover what you mean by "on the events of the movie". I mean Birth of a Nation is pretty effective at showing black people as subhuman so therefore it is find that the KKK are heroes.

Secondly, I have been going on for a rather embarrassing length of time about why I personally find the movie gross. Why are my previous points about its portrayal of a real life culture and ethnicity being evil along with various ridiculous cultural values like homophobia no sufficient? How many essay do I need to write about this?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on October 22, 2019, 01:29:25 PM
No question. The SNP was eager to exploit the movie for its ends. This film was a huge boost to those who want to break up the UK.
Not really. I mean there's 16 year gap between Braveheart and the SNP winning any vote in Scotland. Their vote went up by 0.1% from pre-Braveheart to post-Braveheart.

They tried to campaign on it, it didn't really help them. Though it probably did bolster the Labour plans for a Scottish Parliament and devolution (backed by the Lib Dems and the SNP).

Any way the UK's a union-state. We can break :P
Let's bomb Russia!