News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2019, 04:16:30 PM
When we got home I watched an episode of the 60s show on tv.  It was interesting how daughter Wednesday went from just a bit character in the tv show, to probably having more screen time than her parents in the 2019 movie.  She also switched from being 6 to being in junior high, and from being the younger, to the older, sibling.
I feel like that started with the 90s movie - admittedly they had Cristina Ricci who could act as a child playing Wednesday. But she definitely became more prominent than her brother. Though I think they were about the same age at that point.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 21, 2019, 04:25:40 PM
This I can see: folk or pre-Christian practices that were never given the full sanction of law and which were eventually outlawed.  But that's not the same as saying the practice is fictitious.
Yeah but they may never have existed. I'm almost certain in the case of Napoleon and Venice there were definitely punishments that the rational lawgiver abolished despite there being little to no evidence they ever actually existed.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

The Outlaw King is a much better version of what Braveheart was going for. It's on Netflix so go watch it now.

Plus it has Stannis Baratheon, the One True King, as Edward Longshanks. Perf.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Minsky Moment

Agree with the Malthus review of Braveheart - it's not just the letter (the sartorial detail and specific dates) but the spirit (who Wallace was and why he fought) that is wrong.  The kilts and the blue face is a big deal because it is the most obvious surface manifestation of the core of what the movie was doing - recasting a true historical personage and his times to fit a modern romance with very different historical roots.  And in doing that, it missed what could have been a more interesting story about the complexity of identities and loyalties on a medieval borderland during a time of social change and upheaval.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

My main problem with what little I saw of the movie was that it sucked ass.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 21, 2019, 04:33:08 PM
The Outlaw King is a much better version of what Braveheart was going for. It's on Netflix so go watch it now.

And it is - rightly - about Robert Bruce :w00t:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on October 21, 2019, 03:37:32 PM
Also - Edward "Longshanks" in fact died of dysentery on his way to fight the Scots again, and his last request was, allegedly, to have his skeleton flayed, tied to his horse, and lead against the enemy in battle!

Which is, like, the most metal thing ever:lol: A zombie Longshanks in a medieval battle would have been awesome.

(Sadly, they didn't actually do that.)

That is literally part of the legend of El Cid.  :P Minus the flailing, I guess.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on October 21, 2019, 04:35:30 PM

But it did have a guy riding a horse through a house (the only bit I remember, and maybe the only bit I saw bar what is on YouTube).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 21, 2019, 04:42:14 PM

And it is - rightly - about Robert Bruce :w00t:

And seeing a piece of Wallace's quartered body in the beginning was :chefkiss:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on October 21, 2019, 05:24:49 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 21, 2019, 04:35:30 PM

But it did have a guy riding a horse through a house (the only bit I remember, and maybe the only bit I saw bar what is on YouTube).

Through the mud hut?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 21, 2019, 04:33:46 PM
Agree with the Malthus review of Braveheart - it's not just the letter (the sartorial detail and specific dates) but the spirit (who Wallace was and why he fought) that is wrong.  The kilts and the blue face is a big deal because it is the most obvious surface manifestation of the core of what the movie was doing - recasting a true historical personage and his times to fit a modern romance with very different historical roots.  And in doing that, it missed what could have been a more interesting story about the complexity of identities and loyalties on a medieval borderland during a time of social change and upheaval.

When I was in 9th Grade we had a speaker come to talk to the school in the auditorium.  He claimed that all war was based on ethnic conflict and showed parts of Braveheart to illustrate his claim.  What I didn't know then, and presumably the speaker didn't know either, was that Wallace, de Bruse, and King Edward were all part of the same ethnic group.  He also claimed that the Mercator projection was a conspiracy to denigrate the third world and boost Europe and that making a map of the world without distortion was in fact possible.  Now, even as a dipshit freshman I knew that was incorrect.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on October 21, 2019, 03:35:07 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 21, 2019, 03:33:17 PM
OK, howl away then.

How about creating a nationalistic myth based on hate and lies that has real world implications? Is that worth howling about?

That would be - has that happened?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 21, 2019, 04:25:40 PMThis I can see: folk or pre-Christian practices that were never given the full sanction of law and which were eventually outlawed.  But that's not the same as saying the practice is fictitious.

No, it's not the same thing. But the practice was fictitious. https://www.press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/L/bo3629910.html

You can compare that, if you want, to the oft-told story about how people in the past believed the earth was flat.
Que le grand cric me croque !

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 21, 2019, 04:33:46 PM

I haven't even bothered to watch the movie, so I can't really comment on it directly, but yeah, I pretty much agree with this.  I realize that it's not reasonable for historical movies to get all of the minor details right (though they might pull me out of the film because I know enough history to notice a lot of the details), but the real problem is when they mischaracterized people and events.

viper37

yeah, I want to see that, at some point. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.