News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: Liep on October 12, 2019, 06:15:35 AM
Batwoman. Ruby Rose plays a bad actor playing batwoman in a satirical take on cliches of the super hero genre.

I saw the first episode, giving it a chance and seeing how it goes. Seems a lot of similar Marvel type TV shows, but I think it should be ok if they do a good job in the writing.

Admiral Yi

Babylon Berlin didn't take long to go full Shprockets.

Sheilbh

New Europroduction of Name of the Rose, with John Turturro as William of Baskerville and Rupert Everett as Bernardo Gui :o

Far more tightly adapted from the book than the film. Lots more of the theology and political background. Though I think to some extent it's a little bit too wide-angle if anything.

Also joint BBC/RTE series the Dublin Murders.

Based on Tana French's novels, which are great page-turning crim novels. Good adaptation. It's not great TV (or great literature) - but if you like this sort of thing, very solid.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Rambo Last Blood was pretty decent for a Rambo movie and very excellent if you love obscene amounts of gore in a movie.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Habbaku

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 14, 2019, 04:56:27 PM
New Europroduction of Name of the Rose, with John Turturro as William of Baskerville and Rupert Everett as Bernardo Gui :o

:o Need! Thanks for posting; I had no idea this was even a thing.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

viper37

Quote from: Liep on October 12, 2019, 06:15:35 AM
Batwoman. Ruby Rose plays a bad actor playing batwoman in a satirical take on cliches of the super hero genre.
I so wanted to like that.  But it as I decried multiple times: by insisting on "inclusion", they forget everything else.  They make a big deal of her being a lesbian and having daddy issues (she hates her dad, she hates Batman, she hates the army, next she'll hate all men).  Being a lesbian is enough, no need for a talented actress with non-wooden acting, no need for a decent script, it's Batman and she's a lesbian, should be enough.

I might watch the next episode, I don't know.  I'll see.

Stumptown
Coby Smulders (Maria Hill from Marvel universe) stars as an ex military casual bi-sexual interrogator with an over the top libido.  She also becomes a private investigator in the first episode.

It looks like a pretty generic investigave/police show.  I'll watch the next episode then make up my mind.

Xena: Warrior princess
I never saw all the seasons when it was on tv.  Once I moved back here, I couldn't access the channels where it was aired, at first.  I'm enjoying the reruns, still as good as it was years ago, but the novelty effect of strong female lead is obvioysly gone.  Still, the over the top fights makes it worthwile :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

FunkMonk

Watched the season finale for Succession on Sunday night. Great episode and the perfect way to cap these two seasons.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

France 1939 - One Last Summer.

Very interesting French document about the summer before war, compiled from amateur film shot at the time, together with diary comments from the makers and also the opinions of France's movers and shakers. 

Well worth a viewing. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Liep

So Aquaman is on Netflix so I finally watched it. It's not as bad as I expected and was actually kinda entertaining.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Would be surprised if Xena doesn't get a remake in the 2020s, once we move from 1980s nostalgia to 1990s nostalgia.

frunk

Studio Ghibli movies will be available on HBO Max.  Damn it.

I might have to subscribe.

Sophie Scholl

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power is actually not bad.  :blush:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."